Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Looking for Science Ideas!

>

TheBingJam

TheBingJam

Looking for Science Ideas!
Old 07-10-2017, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach science for infants through Kindergarten age, and our theme for a week or two is going to be vacations. We coordinate with art. We were going to do a different country for each age group. So I'd like to choose a scientist from a country to talk about, and then do an experiment related to that country or that person's work. Such as Marie Curie for either France or Poland and then an experiment having to do with her work. My struggle is finding age appropriate experiments that line up with scientists who are not from the United States. My school has children from 150 different countries, so we try to think globally. I'm very new at this so I appreciate any ideas!

BusyOne

Scientist and activities
Old 07-22-2017, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think this would be fun. I, right away, thought of Jane Goodall. She is from England and the woman that studied chimpanzees. I think she wrote a children's book about the chimpanzees - The Chimpanzee family Book. I haven't used it, so you would have to check it out. She also started the "Shoots and Roots" program. You could learn a little about chimpanzees and your class could participate in Shoots and Roots by planting seeds. Plant milkweed to help the monarch butterfly or any flower for all the other butterflies, plant a tree which puts oxygen into our air. Other Scientists - Alexander Graham Bell and make the paper cup telephones - the Wright Brothers - make paper airplanes and try to fly them. Good luck!
BusyOne is offline   Reply With Quote