Help

Fifth Grade

5th Grade Newbie...Again

>

AnEagerReader

5th Grade Newbie...Again
Old 07-10-2017, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It's been a while since I have taught 5th grade. Any tips and advice? You would think I would be fine, but when you are away from a certain grade level for so long, a "refresher course" is needed! Thanks in advance.

AnEagerReader is offline   Reply With Quote

greenapples

great age
Old 07-11-2017, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think 5th graders are the best! They still like to please adults, and LOVE being given responsibility. Both boys and girls will always want to help you. They have their own little personalities and sense of humor; give them lots of opportunities to discuss their thoughts. (lol, it's a chatty age). They can be independent workers, yet love to collaborate. They hate boring, paper/pencil work, so centers/ small group works well. This age still loves a good read aloud too.
Be sure to establish a positive atmosphere, a 'teamwork' mentality, and clear boundaries for policies and procedures. They need to know they are appreciated and important, yet also need to know you are in charge.
Enjoy.
greenapples is offline   Reply With Quote

AnEagerReader

Old 07-11-2017, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Green Apples,

Thank you for reminding me of how great 5th can be. I remember enjoying teaching that great level, but it's been so long that I began to freak out. I look forward to more advice.

JulieP

5th is the best
Old 07-12-2017, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use to identify as a 3rd grade teacher for life. Then I taught 5th. I love it. Never want to teach any other grade ever again! And the 3rd grade teacher me thought there was no way I'd ever want to teach older kids.

Will you be self-contained or only responsible for one subject? We are departmentalized, so I teach Language Arts and Social Studies. Here are some things I have learned over the last couple of years:

Reading logs are a waste of time, and the kids will actually read MORE without them.

They love Reading Zone Time. We flip chairs over, lounge on the floor, curl up in corners and read. I don't care what you are reading as long as you're reading.

Keep magazines, comics, Oriental Trading catalogs, picture books, and more in your room.

Monthly Genre projects are AWESOME! Better than anything else I've ever done. They have to read a chapter book (at least 100 pages) each month and the book must match that month's genre. Then they complete a project. The kids really got into this, even my dyslexic student who hated to read anything.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote
RoniR
Old 07-13-2017, 07:04 AM
This message has been deleted by RoniR.

RoniR

Old 07-13-2017, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'd love to hear about your monthly genre projects!

RoniR is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrmybiz

Old 07-15-2017, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I'd love to hear about your monthly genre projects!
Me too! I'm intrigued by this idea!
kidsrmybiz is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieP

Old 07-16-2017, 10:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Okay. It's a tricky way to get them to do a ......................book report

Monthly Genre Study
The students will get a Genre Study assignment each month. These projects encourage critical thinking skills, creativity, and 20 minutes of reading each day. It will include reading one or more books from a specific genre, completing assignments along the way, and completing a final project. The format of the project itself will vary with each genre. Project directions, examples, any worksheets, and rubrics will be posted in the ELA Google Classroom on the first school day of each month. The students should complete the project on their own, with little help from parents. Parents should help with planning and gathering supplies, but the work should be the studentís own. Books should travel with students to and from school so that if they finish classwork early, or we have dedicated class time, they will have their book to read or do some work on their project. Reminders about the projects will be sent home via the weekly email.
PROJECTS ARE DUE ON THE LAST SCHOOL DAY OF EACH MONTH.

The outline for the genres will be as follows:

Month Genre Project
September Realistic Fiction Flip Book
October Mystery Case File
November Historical Fiction Pop-up Book & Commercial
December Greek Mythology Book of Comics
January Science Fiction/Fantasy Cheeseburger Report
February Poetry Poetry Book/Video Reading
March Biography/Autobiography Character Poster
April Norse Mythology PowerPoint

Each project had at least one rubric. The Bio project had 2. One was strictly grading the 5 paragraph essay.
Flip book directions I googled, let them use construction paper.
Case File came from TpT
Pop-up book directions I also Googled. The Commercial will be new for us this year. It will have it's own rubric.
Book of Comics- Mythology they will pick 10 Greek Myths to read. Then they have to turn each myth into a 1-2 page comic that will make their comic book.
Cheeseburger report- googled it
Poetry book- I am giving them a Poetry Bingo. They have to read different types of poems and then record them- title author. Then they are going to try their hand at writing each type of poetry. The video will be of them reading their poems. This is new this year.
Powerpoint- Read 10 Norse Myths, create a presentation. Still working out the details of this one.

I did this last eyar, but some of my genres and projects were different. The Historical Fiction last year was a collage. NOPE, not again. Not enough room to display. Instead of mythology, we did fairy tales/fables/myths. This year, my teammate and I are bringing mythology back to our school. Another project that I x'ed was dioramas. Nope. Just nope. For the Case file, I give each kid a manila folder. They can decorate it up however, fill out the forms, keep notes on scrap pieces of paper, etc.

The kids loved it because they really got to show their creative sides.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote

AnEagerReader

Old 07-17-2017, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What an awesome idea. Thank you for sharing, Julie!

Love3rdGrade

Genre project
Old 07-18-2017, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love this idea of a different project each month. Do they present each month as well?
Love3rdGrade is offline   Reply With Quote