Help

Second Grade

Whole Brain Teaching

>

Hawkeyegirl1

Whole Brain Teaching
Old 07-11-2017, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been watching some Whole Brain Teaching videos (Class - Yes and Mirrors). Is anyone using these techniques? I would appreciate any helpful advice or tips you could share with me. Thank you!

Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SaraFirst

Wbt
Old 07-11-2017, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use some of the strategies. I watched videos on YouTube to learn about them. The kids did well with the rules, class/yes and hands and eyes. My principal loved it too!
SaraFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Wbt
Old 07-11-2017, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used WBT with my 6th graders last school year. The kids loved it and bought into all the call outs etc. It is very easy to start. I learned about WBT from the website.
jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Wbt
Old 07-11-2017, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love Whole Brain Teaching and feel that it's made me a better teacher. When I'm teaching a concept with hand motions, it forces me to distill the idea until it's easily repeated, remembered, and posted on my wall for a few weeks. It also gives me an instant gauge of classroom engagement.

I basically do the Class/yes, Mirror, Points for active engagement, Class Rules, and Super Speed Reader.

During most of the year I follow it pretty closely with the Oh Yeah and Oh No Points, but I'll admit to dropping back from it when we're heavily engaged in projects like writing books, making dioramas or other project based units. When I go back on the program it feels fresh and engaging again.

I've not mastered the Super Improver Wall yet.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Wbt
Old 07-11-2017, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used the scoreboard and super improver board but did not add those in until my second year of using WBT. It is a lot to remember! For my super improver board I bought a hanging chart that holds cards. All students start out on the same color. When students earn 10 stickers, they change to the next color. It ended up being super easy.

I used Class Dojo to keep track of the scoreboard points.

jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

cmjd2010

Start Slow
Old 07-12-2017, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My advice for you is to start slow. I have used Whole Brain teaching for 4 years now, and added a little bit each year. I started with Class Yes, and Hands and Eyes. The second year I did the Super Improver Wall. The third year I did Mirrors. This past year I did Teach, OK. I believe there may be a Starter Guide somewhere that I read, but I'm not sure where.

My students love it, it energizes me, and have used it when the principal observes as well! One thing I did the last two years is to show videos of kids roughly the same age using the strategy I was trying to teach. I have to say, I was scared to try it, as it seemed daunting, but just jumped in anyway! One of my best teaching decisions ever!!!
cmjd2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hawkeyegirl1

Thank you!
Old 07-12-2017, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you everyone for responding! I appreciate your suggestions! I did find a Quick Start Guide on the WBT website...thank you for mentioning that. I think it is going to be very helpful. I plan to start small and build from there. Thanks again!
Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote