Newbie - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fifth Grade

>

maeflower456

Old 07-13-2017, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a complete Newbie teacher starting in the fall. I'll be teaching 5th grade ELA and social studies and am very nervous! I did alt cert so I had very little classroom time so any and all thoughts, advice, tips are appreciated.

I'm super excited for this journey, but would love some additional help!

maeflower456 is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

Let me be the first to say
Old 07-13-2017, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome to ProTeacher! You will find it to be the most friendly and helpful website out there!

This will be my 35th year of teaching and this will be my 6th year in fifth grade! I've taught 2nd and 4th also and I love 5th grade the best. I teach ELA and Science.

Are there any specific questions that we can help you with?
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 07-13-2017, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Welcome to PT, maeflower456. I've taught for 18 years and I'm jealous of your placement! I'd love to teach ELA and social studies all day!!! I teach all subjects.
Like freckleface, I agree that this is the most friendly and helpful website out there! I was also wondering if you had any specific questions.
My initial instinct is to advise you to make sure you have a management plan and you are on the same "page" as your teammates. Management is the most difficult thing for newbie teachers and your teammates will really be able to help you with what works in your school.
I would start looking at the curriculum calendar if you have one and *start* (don't try to do the whole thing at once!) organizing by marking period (we go in trimesters) I have a folder in google drive for each trimester and within each trimester a folder for each subject I teach and within each subject I teach each unit I teach.
Get you hands on the curriculum and plan out for the first few weeks.
owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote

KCJ

Hi, there!
Old 07-13-2017, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

So glad you came on board. I did alternative certification, too. You will be fine. I won't tell you to not be nervous, but to tap into it--it's very normal and keeps you hungry to learn. I have taught 5th for many years and love the age. Kids are so ready to connect at this age. You can ask anything you need, we will help you. Welcome!
KCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

calla lily

Welcome to PT!
Old 07-13-2017, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach all subjects but I integrate as much social studies into ELA. I use a variety of trade books, plays, songs, poems, comic books, etc to teach the standards. The majority of the plays, songs, and comic books can be purchased from Scholastic. I buy digital downloads when they are $1 at Scholastic Teacher Express. Chester Comix is another favorite resource. My students love social studies. I think it helps to get away from the textbook.

calla lily is offline   Reply With Quote

maeflower456

Old 07-14-2017, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

First, thank you so much for being supportive and eager to help. I truly love that about this site.

Second, I guess what I'm most worried about right now is the first few days/weeks of school and setting up procedures and my classroom management. How many rules/procedures do y'all have? Do you do any ice breakers the first day or do you find it unnecessary because most of the students have been together before? I've read about making a classroom constitution together and I think that sounds neat since I am teaching SS, have any of you tried that? And what about classroom setup? Since I'm ELA and SS I want to have a reading nook, is that a good idea? I will have individual desks in my room, what's the best arrangement y'all have found?

There's a million other questions I could ask, but I'll leave it at that for now. I do have new teacher orientation starting the 31st so hopefully that will help with some of the nerves.
maeflower456 is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 07-14-2017, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I will do my best to address your questions... Here it goes

How many rules/procedures do y'all have?
I start the year with a chart paper labeled "Our Hopes and Dreams" and we discuss what we we need to do to make our class be the best class possible. What do we need to do to make our year successful? I write their ideas on chart paper with their name next to their idea. This leads into forming our rules, which always break down into: be responsible, be respectful, be safe, and be appreciative. This also leads into the class constitution question you asked because I take their ideas and make a nice copy that they all sign.
As for procedures, there are a lot and taking the time to teach them at the beginning will pay off ten-fold later. Here are some procedures off the top of my head: What to do when entering the classroom (where to hang your backpack, unpack backpack, sharpen pencils, what to do when you arrive- I have students read), what it looks like/sounds like during announcements, what to do if you've been absent, procedures for bathroom breaks (will your whole class go at once or individuals during work time?), how to walk in line, how you will get their attention, what to do if you finish early, how to work individually and with groups, dismissal procedures, what your consequences will be if they do not follow procedures.

Do you do any ice breakers the first day or do you find it unnecessary because most of the students have been together before?
I loop my students and still start with ice breakers. Many of them don't see much of each other over the summer, there may be new students, etc. This helps build community. One ice breaker they always love is "Save Fred." We also do "Find Someone Who," possible an interview of another classmate and a share out. I usually take the time to have them do a quick art project with their name and hang in the room all year.
I've read about making a classroom constitution together and I think that sounds neat since I am teaching SS, have any of you tried that?
Yes, see above.
And what about classroom setup?
I have shelves around the perimeter of the room. I start with two large groups on both sides of the room with a gigantic space in the middle so we have room to sit in a circle to share and in a "clump" for a read-aloud.

Since I'm ELA and SS I want to have a reading nook, is that a good idea?
Sure. You will need to teach procedures of who gets to sit in the nook, how to go to the nook, what it looks like and sounds like to be in the nook. In my class it is an earned privilege to choose a seat during reading time.

I hope this helps!
owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote

calla lily

My answers
Old 07-14-2017, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I guess what I'm most worried about right now is the first few days/weeks of school and setting up procedures and my classroom management. How many rules/procedures do y'all have?
I love the procedure list from this blog. I use this checklist over the first week of school to make sure I have have modeled and practiced my classroom procedures. I find the ones that are necessary for my class. Make sure you practice, practice, practice your procedures with your students. It will make for a smoother year.
http://mandys-tips-4-teachers.blogsp...rocedures.html

My students generate the rules. I never have more than 5 rules. In addition we create a class promise which is similar to the class constitution you mentioned.

Quote:
Do you do any ice breakers the first day or do you find it unnecessary because most of the students have been together before?
I use Kagan class building and team building activities. There are tons of ice breakers on Pinterest. I also bought a packet from TPT that had some great activities. I love doing Saving Fred or a STEM challenge to work on group work expectations.

http://www.teachingwithamountainview...s-for-big.html

http://sciencegal-sciencegal.blogspo...roup-work.html

Quote:
I've read about making a classroom constitution together and I think that sounds neat since I am teaching SS, have any of you tried that?
I have never done this because we don't do government until Jan./Feb. We do a class promise which is essentially the same idea. I give each student a copy and review it throughout the year.

Quote:
And what about classroom setup? Since I'm ELA and SS I want to have a reading nook, is that a good idea? I will have individual desks in my room, what's the best arrangement y'all have found?
I have students in groups of four. We do a lot of cooperative learning and small group discussions so this facilitates this type of work. A reading nook is a great idea. Just make sure you have rules for how many students may use it at a time, when they may use it, expectations while in the nook.
calla lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Teacherbee_4
Old 07-14-2017, 01:18 PM
This message has been deleted by Teacherbee_4. Reason: ooops, didn't see the specific questions she posted later

Teacherbee_4

Welcome
Old 07-14-2017, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Welcome and congratulations! You will love 5th grade and you will love PT!

I'd love to help! I'll answer your questions and then feel free to continue to post on this board or other boards with more questions as they come up!

Quote:
How many rules/procedures do y'all have?
That's hard to say. In terms of rules, I usually talk with my students about what is acceptable/expected behavior at school and what is not. We brainstorm examples of good behavior/bad behavior. Normally, those fall into 4 categories and I summarize them as: be respectful, be safe, be responsible, and be hard-working. In terms of procedures, I teach them as we do them the first time. So, when the students first come in the room on the first day, I tell them exactly what to do in the mornings. When they are done, we review and practice. When it's time to line up to go to specials, I talk about what I expect, how it's done, etc. and we practice. I hope that makes sense.

Quote:
I do lots of ice breakers! You can find many ideas on here by searching the archive, searching Googling, looking on pinterest, etc. Last year I worked in a single-section school, so the kids had been together since pre-school and knew each other. However, there were 2 new kids, and I was new. I still did ice breakers. It's fun for the kids and I do lots of hands-on group activities, so it helped me let the kids know my expectation for those experiences and gave time for the kids to practice. The kids also enjoyed getting to know the 2 new members of our class and "catching up" with the classmates they knew. Even if the kids all know each other, you want to create your own unique classroom climate and community and doing icebreakers is very helpful for that!

Quote:
That's a great idea! If you search the web, I think there are multiple different lesson plans online with ideas of how to do this! I've never done this, but I know people who have!

Quote:
And what about classroom setup? Since I'm ELA and SS I want to have a reading nook, is that a good idea? I will have individual desks in my room, what's the best arrangement y'all have found?
A reading nook would be great! Did the teacher you are replacing leave classroom library books? Hopefully yes, so you can at least have a start on a classroom library. I love putting my books in bins based on categories and genres, then putting the bins on the book shelf. It works well for space purposes and helps you track which types of books you have a lot of and which ones you don't. There are a lot of ways to have kids check out books, I've had the best look with paint sticks. I went to a hardware store and got paint sticks, 2 for each student. I label them with a sticky label and the kid's name. Each kid gets two sticks. When they want to check out a book, they replace the book with the stick in the correct bin. When they return the book, they put the book back in the bin and take their stick back. I use stick on labels and then just stick labels over the old label the next year. That's what worked best for me, but there are many ways to do it, and you just need to find what works best for you. You could get a rug and some bean bags or camp/lawn chairs, too.

For desk arrangements, at the beginning of the year, I like all the kids facing the front and one way, until they are good with my expectations. However, I still like to do a lot of cooperative work, even in the beginning, so I do like them "together" so to speak, in rows of 2, 3, or 4. Here is how I've done it in the past, based on room size and student numbers:

XX XX XX

XX XX XX

or

XXX XXX

XXX XXX

XXX XXX

or

XXXX XXXX

XXXX XXXX

XXXX XXXX

Hopefully, you get the picture. I love having the kids in pods, but they have to show me they can handle it in terms of active listening skills, appropriate voice volume, no side conversations, on-task during work-time etc. I've found with desk arrangements, it depends on so many things: your room size and available space, the number of students you have, the behavior of your students, etc.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote