Summertime Memories: In The Garden

>

Staff

Editor

Staff
Old 07-14-2017, 02:12 PM

Share a brief summertime memory having something to do with a garden (or farm). This can be from your childhood or something that happened to you more recently. Describe an experience, a place, an object, tell a funny story, write a little poetry, share a photo-- anything that comes to mind on this topic! Be sure to leave out any personally revealing information such as real names or locations

Editor is offline   Reply With Quote

SleepEatTeach

Great grandma's farm
Old 07-14-2017, 02:54 PM

I used to spend some weekends in the summer with my grandparents. We would always go to visit my great grandmother who lived on a farm. The two things I remember best are collecting eggs from the chickens and picking strawberries. She also had a huge hill in her yard that we used to roll down. Great memories!
SleepEatTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

A farmer, I'm not!
Old 07-14-2017, 02:59 PM

When I was about 7, my 9 yo sister and I decided to grow potatoes in our backyard (yes, we're Irish!) Without telling each other, we would sneak out to the garden and pull up the potato plants to see how they were doing. Needless to say, they did not do well. Our crop consisted of 5 marble sized potatoes, and those were the ones that survived! We didn't know until years later that both of us had been pulling them up and replanting them on a regular basis! Farmers, we are not!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 07-14-2017, 03:12 PM

Every year my dog tries to "help" me get the garden beds ready for summer fruits and veggies. She's rotten, but she makes me laugh.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Bunnies
Old 07-14-2017, 03:13 PM

I love having gardens! I have a few raised beds and I remember a day where my kids were little and helping me get them started in the spring. When we started pulling weeds we realized there was a burrow full of baby bunnies!! My kids were so excited to see them and we didn't mind when they ate most of our crops that summer.

I also love how my kids will eat veggies right from the garden, even ones they won't eat at the dinner table.

love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-14-2017, 03:29 PM

When I was young my dad was tilling between the rows in the garden and a storm blew in. We all ran for cover, but my dad had to finish tilling first. We had the trash out burning in the burn barrel (this was a long time ago) and the wind picked up the burning trash and pushed it through the garden. My dad thought the end of the world had come, but he kept running the tiller.

Later found out a tornado was spotted within a mile of our farm.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 07-14-2017, 03:37 PM

When I was a girl, my brothers and I used to work at the farm across the street. We helped with the haying--hard work throwing bales onto the wagon or jostling them into position (especially when my brother was driving the tractor...he always popped the clutch and the wagon would jerk forward suddenly, throwing me to the floor).

I used to go over there to pick cherries every July 4th in the morning. I would pick a big bowl full, take them home, pit them using a hairpin, and make cherry pies. Our old farm house was surrounded by a golf course. The farmer who owned the house before us sold his property to the golf club, so we were a little island in the midst of the golf course. On the Fourth of July, the country club would set off fireworks, and we had a spectacular view from our yard. We sat in the dark eating cherry pie, playing with sparklers, catching fireflies, and enjoying the big show!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 07-14-2017, 03:39 PM

I spent a lot of time at my grandparents house. They had a garden of every vegetable you can imagine. They also had an apple tree, pear tree, fig tree, and grape vines. My grandmother made homemade jelly from the grapes. She would put the jelly in the cartoon jars that Welch's jelly used to use in the 70's and proclaim her jelly was better. It was! We would take spoonfuls of it when she was making it! I wish I could taste her jelly now.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

My mom's garden
Old 07-14-2017, 03:45 PM

My mom is an amazing gardener who can make a beautiful space from nothing. I don't have that gift, or the patience, but since I was a child I have spent many afternoons just hanging out with her in her garden, enjoying the sun and the beauty of her flowers, and if course her company. Although the talent seems to have skipped me, my daughter loves helping my mom garden and I think she will garden when she grows up and has her own house.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4first

The Garden
Old 07-14-2017, 03:47 PM

When I was younger, I loved to help my grandmother in the flower garden. My favorite flowers were the sunflowers. I loved watching how tall they would get.

crazy4first is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

the farm
Old 07-14-2017, 03:49 PM

I grew up in a family of farmers! My favorite memory was of my uncle allowing my cousin and me to climb to the top of the corn crib and kick the corn down into feed bags. Now that I think of it, there were probably mice in that corn crib! Glad I never saw one.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Family Farm
Old 07-14-2017, 03:50 PM

When I was eight years old my mother, sister and myself joined my grandparents on a road trip from Texas to Tennessee. My grandfather had a cousin who lived there on a farm with his extended family and they had invited us to come for a visit.

I knew what a farm was, but I really had no idea about how it functioned being a city child. They got up with the sun and went to bed not long after the sun went down in the evening. There were several cousins and wives who had kitchen duties. They cooked everything from scratch and most of the food came from their farm. The breakfast was huge. I found out that biscuits were made with flour and shortening. They didn't come from a can. The men worked in the fields all day but came back to the house for "lunch". They called it dinner and it was another big meal. Then men wore overalls and were dirty when they returned home. I was surprised by this even though I understood why. It was just not what I was used to. My father was a salesman and wore a suit to work each day. He always came home neat and tidy. Supper was leftovers and sandwiches. I was excited about all these differences in lifestyle and happy to be visiting relatives I had never met.

On the weekend they had decide to roast a pig in the ground on a spit as a sort of big BBQ celebration while we were there. I was awaked by the squeal of the pig. After dressing and arriving on the big front porch to see what was going on I saw the pig hanging by its feet from a large tree. It was dead and blood was draining from its head.
I was in shock! It was huge! It was hairy and not a polished pink! And it was bloody and dead. I could not deal with it so I went somewhere else to play even though the porch was the coolest place to spend your day as they had no air conditioning.

I also saw the hog roasting in the pit later. It was not as gross as before but still unappetizing.

The next day at the feast I refused to eat pork. My grandfather thought it was funny. But they had roasted some chicken as well so I had chicken. Luckily I had not seen them kill the chickens.

Anyway it was a very unique experience. I am glad we were invited and able to accept. Maybe everyone should spend some time on a farm so we have more appreciation for what they do so we can all put food on our tables.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Snakes in the Garden
Old 07-14-2017, 03:55 PM

I grew up in the city, so we didn't really have much of a garden, but my dad loved to grow vegetables in his little garden plot in the back yard. He put a chicken wire fence around the garden to keep the dog out. The fence was only about 18 inches high. Dad was a big and tall man, about 6 ft 4, and about 275 pounds. One day, he was working in his garden, and my mom, who had a mean streak in her, picked up a stick and threw it in the garden, yelling, "Snake, snake!" My dad jumped straight up in the air, flying over the little fence and ran all the way to the back door of the house. I don't think I've ever seen my mom laugh so hard in my life. I didn't know whether or not to laugh at the time, having sympathy for my dad, but loving my mom's sense of humor, but I always get a good laugh from that memory now that they're both gone.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieG04

Memories...
Old 07-14-2017, 04:21 PM

I come from a long line of farmers and manual laborers, so my great grandparents and grandparents always maintained a garden (although the sizes varied quite a bit). One summer, my young cousin (who was no older than six) spent her days with my grandfather (who doted on all of his grandchildren) while her mom was working.

They hung laundry out to dry, swept the floors, ate lunch, and watched TV. When it was time to water the garden, my uncle (not her father) stopped by the house and stood outside with them. Doting grandfather let young cousin hold the hose on the garden while he walked the perimeter and looked for weeds and whatnot. Well, my uncle, ever the joker, got the six-year old to hold her grandfather at bay in the garden by aiming the hose at him for about 15 minutes or so. The tale of "kid aims hose at grandfather" became a mini-legend in our family and is one of our fondest memories of a lovely man.
JulieG04 is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Garden
Old 07-14-2017, 04:22 PM

When I think of garden I think of my daddy. Everywhere we lived he planted a garden and fruit trees. My sisters and I remince about sdad being a modern day "Johnny Apple Seed". Although my dad passed away 8 years ago his love of gardening has been passed to my son and my nephew
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

Bucky
Old 07-14-2017, 04:25 PM

As a 10 year old child I went to horseback riding camp. My first summer there, I was assigned a horse named Bucky. Not a very comforting feeling for a brand new rider. Anyhow by the end of the two weeks, the horse hadn't yet lived up to his name, thankfully. Then came the final day horse show. Doesn't he pick that day to live up to his name. I fell off into a puddle of mud.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

mom's tomatoes
Old 07-14-2017, 04:26 PM

My mother plants a garden every summer. She gets so many tomatoes that she shares them with friends, family, and neighbors. This year she gave us some plants to take home and plant. We are hoping that we'll get some delicious tomatoes too! Perhaps enough to share!!
teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

Garden Memories from the 70s
Old 07-14-2017, 04:30 PM

It is hard to share just one specific garden memory. We grew up helping to sow the seeds, weeding the plants, and harvesting from the family garden. I remember fresh picked sprinkled with salt and dripping with juices. My sister and I would pick rhubarb, bundle it up and sell it roadside for a dollar a bundle. The smell of the leaves on the plant is still one of my all time favorite things. Over the years the garden shrank until the vegetable garden was barely a little patch. .

Flash forward to the 21st century:
As a teacher one of my fondest memories will forever be the year that I was given the opportunity to begin a community garden at the school. The harvest was plentiful and the memories made with those students and their families will remain with me forever! We had tomatoes from June - November and that was only the tomatoes. Urban students of poverty growing food from a seed, now that was empowering!
ccsteacher001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-14-2017, 04:30 PM

I've never been interested in gardening, but we had a garden growing up. The first thing that came to mind was how much I hated watering it . Our hose didn't reach that far, so I was supposed to be filling up water pails and carrying them over. One day I thought I was being clever and figured out if I set the hose down and let it run on the ground, it would eventually reach over to the garden (keep in mind I was maybe 7 years old). My mom was not happy to discover the hose still running probably an hour later!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Grandpa's garden
Old 07-14-2017, 04:32 PM

As my grandfather got older, he was unable to do much of the work in his garden, therefore my family and my aunt's family would take turns going over to Barre, which was an hour's drive, to tend to the garden. My grandfather had an old wooden chair with a sagging leather seat and worn arms that was prominently placed in the middle of the back porch. There he'd sit to monitor his worker bees and watch his garden grow.

My favorite job was harvesting the carrots and washing off the dirt with the hose. I'm not sure how many made it to grandma's pantry, but grandpa never ratted me out.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

In Nana's garden
Old 07-14-2017, 04:33 PM

When I was 6 I had 3 ponies. I was riding Pete and somehow little Stormy got out of the corral. Stormy was correctly named, she was a tornado with 4 legs. My grandmother had just planted her garden, with Stormy hanging her head over the fence watching her every move. Once free of the fence Stormy made a mad dash for the garden, running, kicking, and generally creating havoc. I'll never forget my grandmother, all 4'10" of her, chasing after Stormy, yelling words I've never heard her use before!
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Redundancy

The Garden Bees
Old 07-14-2017, 04:34 PM

Heading out with my sister to my Great Aunt Jane's Rhubarb patch was an annual event. Picking the rhubarb, sprinkling it with more sugar than I'd ever been allowed to before, and gobbling it up was such an adventure.

On this one day, I never noticed my sister running away. I did not hear her calling my name. I just picked rhubarb and daydreamed, enjoying the hot sun on my back.

I felt my mother gently pulling my white cardigan off of me before I heard her telling me not to move. When my sweater was off, I turned around and saw that there were bees filling my sweater.

That was the day I found out my sister was allergic to bees, and that 🐝 🐝 had no interest in me.
Redundancy is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Sweet Corn
Old 07-14-2017, 04:35 PM

Every summer we would help our farmer friends put up sweet corn. If you've ever done this it can be messy,but lots of fun. After all the corn was put in freezers we had a big cookout & enjoyed homemade ice cream. Sure was loads of fun.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

DiamondGirl

The Cherry Tree
Old 07-14-2017, 04:36 PM

Growing up we had a cherry tree that every year produced the most wonderful, the most delicious strawberries. I named her Cherry, and it was my job to pick her fruit. I did so with care because I was in love. The End.
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Summertime--Garden Memory-Cucumbers
Old 07-14-2017, 04:38 PM

My Summertime garden memory is watching my grandmother picking cucumbers from her small garden in her backyard in our big city. Then, we would eat the fresh cucumbers with salt & vinegar
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Waited too long
Old 07-14-2017, 04:41 PM

My DH and I owned a tiny plot of land upstate and one year we decided to plant a small vegetable garden. We lived in a city about 60 minutes away and so we would go up on the weekends and weed and water and watch excitedly as our crops came in. We had string beans and peas and squash and everything was going along just great. One weekend my DH thought everything was ready to be picked but I insisted that we wait one more week. When we went back the following weekend, rabbits had gotten into our garden and there was not one string bean or pea or squash left! All that work and waiting for nothing!
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

renielen

What a goat eats!
Old 07-14-2017, 04:44 PM

We were on field trip to a farm. Part of the farm had a petting zoo. Anyway a group of kids went to see the baby goats. There were 3 adults with me. We opened the gate to get to the goats! Well we weren't fast enough in closing the gate! Suddenly goats started running out! Well one of the aides got the idea to take her sweater to shoo the goats back in. She started waving the sweater around! All the goats got back in except one! This goat wasn't having it! He was bound and determined to stay out! Anyway the aide got the goat to come closer! We thought, great all the goats are back in! Well the only reason this goat went back in was because he started eating the aide's sweater! She kept walking backwards while the goat was eating the sweater!!! You should have seen the hole that was left in the sweater! We will never forget our trip yo the farm!
renielen is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Foxglove
Old 07-14-2017, 04:45 PM

When my 28 year old son was about 16, we went on a mission to acquire some foxgloves growing wild on mounds of dirt on the backside of a parking lot. There was a business nearby so we went after it closed for the day. I had to climb up rocky terrain to get to them. As I was balancing my feet, body and shovel, my son was at the bottom laughing his head off taking videos of me! He jumped in the car when we were done and still talks about the day he drove the getaway car! Ps.. it took 2 years but they did bloom in my garden!
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

Gardens
Old 07-14-2017, 04:48 PM

I hope one day to have a home with a beautiful garden. My mother keeps a nice garden at her home and I see how much joy it brings her. She has rose bushes to remember her parents and all of her plants hold special memories for her.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Love_2_Teach

garden memory
Old 07-14-2017, 04:49 PM

My grandmother was a great Gardner. I remember spending my childhood watching her grow beautiful flowers. Today every time I see beautiful flower gardens, I think of her and smile.
Love_2_Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

I love a garden...
Old 07-14-2017, 04:55 PM

With lots of flowers!

I love taking pictures of flowers in my Garven -- and love how my iPhone does almost as good of a job as my 35mm!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
IA11 is online now   Reply With Quote

SCS89

Summer Memory--Garden or Farm
Old 07-14-2017, 04:56 PM

When I was about nine I went to a dahlia farm with my grandparents. There were dahlias in every color and pattern, just a sea of color. The plants grew so tall that my brother and I could easily hide among the dahlias. My grandma's favorite was a pink dahlia with lavender splashes on it. She called it Peppermint Miss. The owner of the dahlia farm also experimented with fruit grafting. He had one tree with at least six varieties of apples on it. Every summer he and his wife would have a booth at the local fair where they displayed their dahlias.
SCS89 is offline   Reply With Quote

kspotter

Honeysuckle
Old 07-14-2017, 04:59 PM

My favorite garden memory is of the honeysuckle vine that grew on a trellis outside my childhood home. I love to find bath and cleaning products with that scent and being transported back to my childhood every time I smell them.
kspotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Finding Agates
Old 07-14-2017, 05:11 PM

My parents had a summer place on an island. Every summer my family would go there and stay. My dad commuted from there to work, while the rest of us stayed. A big thing was to walk the beach and find agates. You had to have an eagle eye as my dad would say. We would tumble and polish them. To this day every time I go to the island (my brother lives there now), I have to find an agate (You can't leave until you find one.).I was just there on the 4th and while walking with my 2 year old great-niece I found a good sized one. I still have the eagle eye!
Lynnteach2 is online now   Reply With Quote

all41

Grandma's Garden
Old 07-14-2017, 05:12 PM

As a child one of my favorite places was being in the garden with my grandparents. Grandma had a HUGE garden that she tended daily. She cursed the weeds that tried to grow there. I would go with her to pick fresh veggies for dinner. She was so proud of her garden.

But, even though I loved spending time in the garden with Grandma, I also enjoyed time out there with Grandpa too. Now, Grandpa was a great guy and loved my grandma very much but, he was also a farmer who loved his livestock too. He would pick cucumbers from Grandma's garden and feed them to the pigs! He would wink and tell me not to tell Grandma. (He only picked the big ones because those were the ones the pigs liked best. )

Years later it comes out that she knew and always planted extra for the pigs and she appreciated not having to thin out the overgrown veggies.

My grandparents were like a couple teenagers in love and teased each other in fun.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrshointz

The Only Tomato
Old 07-14-2017, 05:17 PM

One year, I tried my hand at container gardening. I thought I was doing rather well - I had all these tomatoes budding on my bushes. Until one day, when I didn't. My tomatoes started to mysteriously disappear. For days I wondered what had happened. One afternoon, I noticed a fluffy tail among my beautiful (but mostly bare) plants. A squirrel had been stealing my tomatoes, one by one before they had a chance to ripen! I did everything I could (netting, bad tasting sprays, chasing the squirrel off every time I saw him), but I only was able to salvage a single tomato. This single tomato ripened to a beautiful deep red. The day it was ready to pick though, of course, it disappeared. However, this one single solitary tomato came back! A few hours after I noticed it missing, it ended up on my back deck! There was only one problem - there was a chunk eaten out of it. The squirrel had stolen it, eaten what he wanted, and left the rest on my back deck. I've never been one for hunting, but that's the one summer I wanted to sit on my back deck with a shotgun and just wait for him to come back. I haven't planted tomatoes since.
mrshointz is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

tomatoes and zucchini
Old 07-14-2017, 05:26 PM

My grandma lived with us when I was growing up and she faithfully planted tomatoes every year. I can still recall the smell of the vines and the fuzzy texture.

One year she decided to expand and also grew zucchini. We had SO MUCH! It seemed like we ate zucchini at every meal and had zucchini bread to give to everyone we knew.

I did not inherit her green thumb.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

gardener5

Raspberries
Old 07-14-2017, 05:34 PM

When I was young a summer visit to Grandma meant picking raspberries in her raspberry patch. My sister and I would go out with a bucket and pick raspberries to have with ice cream for that night's dessert. We'd eat quite a few and do our best to put some in the bucket, too. Now I have my own raspberry patch and usually just eat them right off the bush. Delicious!
gardener5 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 07-14-2017, 05:34 PM

My mom was a master gardener! Growing up in KS, the flowers were in full bloom by May 1st (May Day). She'd let us pick flowers out of her garden and off the lilac bushes and use them in our May Day baskets. I love that she taught us that long lost tradition! And whenever I see a beautiful flower garden, I think of my mom.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

A very special farm
Old 07-14-2017, 05:42 PM

My DH and I were vacationing in Santa Fe when we read about a nearby attraction--El Rancho de las Golondrinas. This is a farm that maintains its roots in the Spanish Colonial period with various events (we caught a living history week end with costumed re-inactors which was wonderful). Wandering around we found ox carts, stables, traditional crops, people making candles, grinding corn and making tortillas, and on and on. My attempt at making a tortilla was very sad, but luckily an expert shared hers.

I'm a fan of the American girls series and found that Josefina's setting is based on the Rancho and the associated people gave input to costuming.

We always visit when we are in the area.

You can check it out here 'cuz I can't attach pictures very well.

https://golondrinas.org/home/
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Zucchini
Old 07-14-2017, 05:51 PM

We planted our first garden this year, with mostly vegetables we bought already started (small pots) from the store. But we planted zucchini just as two little seeds that DD3 got from school.

Our other plants are doing okay, not great. But the zucchini has overtaken the whole yard!! We get about 8-10 a week. DD was so amazed wen we found the first one, and wen more amazed when it was bigger than her arm!
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

SweetTea

Sunflower House by Eve Bunting comes to life!
Old 07-14-2017, 05:51 PM

When I read this book over 12 years ago to my children, we began to plan for a small plot in our backyard and created our own special reading place. We tended to the tiny plants and in due time our reward was a shady green space to read, dream, and imagine. Yellow finches ate the seeds above our heads as we read on soft blankets spread below. Sometimes we would even color, and other times we enjoyed afternoon snacks of in our Sunflower House. When it came time to clean up the garden in the fall...it was hard to say goodbye, but we had the promise of a new Sunflower House come spring! What a wonderful family memory that I will always cherish...especially since my children are now in college.
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Pickles
Old 07-14-2017, 06:03 PM

One summer day
My aunt found a way
To make a little cash

She planted some greens
On some land that did lean
And waited for them to grow

I came for a stay
And helped with the hay
Until her crop came in

Then off to the hill
Like Jack and Jill
Did my aunt and I trod

We picked the crop
From bottom to top
Of so many plants that had grown

To protect from spines
On the outside rind
We had to wear gloves

My knees were shot
And it was hot
But we were only halfway through

We kept plowing along
Until the night song
And our baskets were overflowing

The next morning we drove by
A local farm supply
To drop off our bushels of loot

They were sorted by size
We watched the small ones rise
While the larger ones tumbled below

Each group was weighed
And my aunt was paid
According to the value of size

Thank goodness my stay
Was not many more days
So I didn't have to pick pickles again!
cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote

girl9987

Down on the farm
Old 07-14-2017, 06:08 PM

My summertime memory is about my grandparents' farm. They owned a pretty large dairy farm and me and my sister spent most of our summer days on the farm. We would help my grandma weed the garden and bottle feed the calves. And we would ride in the silage trucks with the summer help back and forth from the cornfields to the barn. And when it got dark we would run around the yard catching lightning bugs.
girl9987 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 07-14-2017, 06:09 PM

I remember my grandma helping me grow a tomato garden! Other than that, I have very little experience with farms or gardens.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Eagle 126

Crowns of flowers
Old 07-14-2017, 06:10 PM

I have five sisters. For May day every year while we were in elementary school, we needed to have a crown of flowers. The last day of April was a mad rush to check with all of the neighbors to get enough flowers for six crowns. Each one of us would make our crown the night before and set them in the refrigerator to keep them fresh. Some years the crowns would be glorious. Some years, not so much! We had fun either way!
Eagle 126 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Summertime Memory
Old 07-14-2017, 06:24 PM

My grandfather had a huge plum tree in his backyard. As kids, my brothers, sister and I would hang out under that tree and eat those warm, juicy plums picked right off the tree. I can still feel the the sweet juice trickle down my throat. It was peaceful until my older brother would start his evil brother behavior and begin throwing the fruit at us. Why couldn't he just enjoy the Peace?
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Luvetc3

Monarchs
Old 07-14-2017, 06:30 PM

In the past few years, I've been growing butterfly milkweed and common milkweed in my gardens in the hopes of drawing in monarchs. The first time I found caterpillars, I was thrilled. We brought them in and kept them in a terrarium. My kids and I were thrilled with the first chrysalis, and the many more that followed. Releasing the first hatchling was so special. The girls and I have released many more monarchs these past few summers. but the magic of watching the first one with my kids is a great memory.
Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

linderdm

Leaving the Farm
Old 07-14-2017, 06:33 PM

After buying and living on the family farm for many years, my brother finally decided to sell. I'll never forget my last visit....picking berries and veggies from the garden, walking down to the creek, looking in the old barns. So many good memories, but it was time to move on.
linderdm is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

Swiss Chard?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:39 PM

Everyone in my mother's family planted a large family garden..... everyone, including us. As a child I wished for sweet cantaloupe and huge watermelons to be among the many vegetables grown in our family garden. My mother made the decisions, so the regulars were onions, tomatoes, carrots, leaf lettuce, swiss chard, corn, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, squash, and if we were lucky - cantaloupe. There were always more, but that darn swiss chard always had a spot. I recall eating a bounty of veggies from the garden every summer and even being introduced to veggies that I never saw at the grocery or some my friends thought I'd made up.
As an adult, I can't even remember what swiss chard tastes like. I can remember that I didn't like it and it was like an annual torture to have it at the supper table. We were expected to at least try everything and I dreaded it every time. Everyone else ate it, but for some reason I didn't want to.
Maybe this year I'll find a recipe and try it again - for "old time's sake!"
SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

YardieAnn

Mango Time
Old 07-14-2017, 06:39 PM

Summertime during my childhood years in the Caribbean were among the happiest times of my life. A variety of fruits were in season and abundant supplies were readily available. We spent most days playing outside, going to the beach, and visiting members of our extended family who lived in other parts of the island.

One of the highlights of visiting our grandmother in the country was eating different types of mangoes from the numerous trees on her large property. It was not uncommon for children to skip regular meals because we were full from eating mangoes. A popular folk song even stated that pots could be washed and put away during mango time. My brother had one of those days; but the enjoyment was short-lived because he had a terrible stomachache that night.

Although we had to endure taking laxatives before going back for the new school year, the tastes of the summer fruits were more than worth it. I would love to be there now to enjoy mango time.
YardieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote

QW

Uncle V.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:27 PM

My uncle and aunt were childless, so they'd invite me to spend a week with them in the summer. I always looked forward to going to their house. Uncle V. kept a garden up the street-- a HUGE garden. He would have me help him work in the garden after he got home from work. It was hard work and I was so hot, red, and sweaty that he called me Rosie. We hauled water, weeded, and gathered. I loved seeing the shiny green cabbages, walking through the tall cornstalks, pulling onions. We would eat ripe, juicy tomatoes as we picked them and taste the fresh peas. Uncle V. would tease me and joke the whole time we worked. The very best part was taking the fresh vegetables back to the house, where my aunt (a fabulous cook) would prepare them. She would fix cucumbers & onions, fresh corn on the cob, slice big slabs of tomatoes, cook up pots of freshly snapped green beans & new potatoes, and always had sweet, juicy watermelon or cantaloupe--it was all wonderful. We also had fresh honey from my uncle's beehives on flaky rolls. Later in the evening, my uncle would bring out the ice cream, usually a special kind such as peppermint or butter pecan and we'd have a bowl before bedtime. I'd fall asleep, listening to the cicadas and wishing I could stay there forever. I am so thankful to have had such a special uncle and aunt that opened their home to me. Unfortunately, they have been gone for several years now, but I will always cherish those memories.
QW is offline   Reply With Quote

Shell

Garden of brown
Old 07-14-2017, 07:47 PM

When you think of gardens you think of vibrant greens, healthy plants, bountiful harvest. This is the type of garden I imagine every year I plant one. The green vibrant plants last about three weeks before they slowly become brown, crinkly, droopy, and dead. I never have good luck with my gardens no matter how hard I try!
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 07-14-2017, 07:51 PM

I remember spending a week each summer with my grandmother when I was younger. She had a huge garden and we spent many hours sitting on the porch shelling peas and snapping green beans. She may have planned our stays to coordinate with the harvest to get some free child labor , but at the time it didn't seem like work. Sitting on that porch with my grandmother is one of my favorite childhood memories!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

7more

Garden
Old 07-14-2017, 07:56 PM

When I was about five I wanted to plant carrots. We didn't have a place for a garden so I planted the seeds out in the dirt driveway. I was so excited that I was going to grow my own carrots! My brothers went to the store that night, bought carrots, and "planted" them for me to find the next day. Imagine my surprise to fine my carrot seeds magically grew over night! 🥕🥕🥕🥕
7more is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Blackberries
Old 07-14-2017, 08:13 PM

My parents had some blackberry bushes in their garden. We could easily pick an ice cream bucket in no time at all. We loved to sprinkle them on vanilla ice cream. Once one of those little black " raspberry bugs" crawled out of a berry and my sister would never eat them again. Her loss-- our gain!
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

MAMASUZE

Those Weeds
Old 07-14-2017, 08:15 PM

As a child I remember spending summer on our family farm. We, my brothers and I were in charge of keeping the weeds out of the tomato plants in our garden. We were given a daily routine of using a hoe to chop down the weeds, we had 2 acres of tomato plants. Well, one hot July day (especially in Texas), my older brother decided that he'd chopped his last weed, and came up with a plan on how we could make things look like we'd spent the morning chopping weeds. He showed the three of us how we could get huge clumps of dirt and place on top of the weeds, and then no one would know that we hadn't spent our precious time chopping those weeds. We spent many hours covering the weeds rather than chopping them down. Little did our childish brain know that all our father had to do was move the pieces of dirt and know what we'd done. We spent more time trying to hide the weeds than we would have if we'd actually did our assigned chore. Next day we not only had to chop down the weeds, but we had to make sure that all the huge clumps of dirt were out of the rows of plants. What seemed like a difficult chore to a ten year old now seems so trivial. Lesson learned..... Follow directions the first time they are given.
MAMASUZE is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-14-2017, 08:18 PM

She planted seeds
Watered, tended
Delight bloomed as
Sprouts emerged
Green hatching
To meet the girl of 6
I still see
Her gap-toothed smile
Left hand holding carrots
Leafy tops and orange
Root crusted with dirt
Right hand gripping
Slender green onions
Both hands
Raised high in victory
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

kcougar

Growing up
Old 07-14-2017, 08:23 PM

A fond memory of my dad is the love and care he put into his garden every summer when I was growing up. Every evening, after a long day of work, he would work some more in the garden...and he loved every minute of it.
kcougar is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

One summer day in Summerville
Old 07-14-2017, 08:42 PM

yep, Summerville, Oregon....

my mother's parents lived there. my mom's brother's family (with my best, best, best cousin) lived across the road.

we took a trip every summer from California to Oregon.

my cousin and i had lots of adventures. the most memorable being:
running like crazed kids across a field (not our family's). suddenly we both flew backward several feet, landing on our backs. we had run into an electric fence to keep the cows in!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

jml122

Zucchini
Old 07-14-2017, 08:50 PM

My parents always planted zucchini in their garden. Growing up, I hated it! And, our zucchini grew huge! We are talking up to 18 inches long!! However, my mom always made the zucchini bread. Raisins and zucchini, who knew!
jml122 is online now   Reply With Quote

beachmom68

Summertime drawing
Old 07-14-2017, 08:51 PM

I remember walking to the garden on a sunny summer morning. My grandma and I would pick raspberries and eat them with a bit of sugar and cream.
beachmom68 is offline   Reply With Quote

playpower

Hydrangeas
Old 07-14-2017, 11:40 PM

The first thing that came to my mind after reading about this drawing was hydrangeas. They are blooming in my yard right now. The previous owners planted them and I'm grateful that they did---they make me happy.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
playpower is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

grandpa's garden
Old 07-15-2017, 12:29 AM

I grew up in central Illinois. My grandpa always had a garden with a variety of vegetables. I loved walking through it once the vegetables started growing and were ready to be picked. I recently made a comment to my teen sons that it would be nice to have some of my grandpa's beefsteak tomatoes to put on grilled hamburgers. His tomatoes were huge and tasty. I live in Arizona now. I can't find those types of tomatoes here.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Rt2learn

First Science Lesson
Old 07-15-2017, 01:55 AM

I grew up on a farm and was exposed/expected to do many things. Farm life taught me much more than I realized at the time.

We raised pigs, cows, chickens, and had a large garden. All of which helped to provide the food we needed for the winter months.

One summer, we were fixing chickens to freeze. My job was to singe the chickens after they had been plucked. I would pour alcohol in a small glass plate and light a match to it. As I was rotating the chicken over the fire, it slipped from my hand, dropping the chicken onto the plate, knocking the plate and chicken off the table and onto the floor. The alcohol and fire was on the floor - panic! I ran to get a rug from the other side of the kitchen, turned and threw it towards the fire, not knowing it had already stopped burning - the alcohol was gone. My older sisters enjoyed the entertainment that I provided for them.
Rt2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Family garden.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:28 AM

When I was a kid we always had a big garden. One year we had so many tomatoes that with one picking we covered the top of our picnic table, and still had some in boxes. Fresh tomatoes are the best thing ever. The big ones that are red and yellow swirled together, yum. We would eat slices of tomatoes and fresh corn on the cob as a meal. Yum!
meandmyhouse is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 07-15-2017, 03:37 AM

Growing up, my brother and I spent most of our summer days with our grandparents while our parents worked. My grandparents had a lot of farm land and would plant different crops that would need to be harvested during the summer. As children, we usually were not allowed out in the big fields during the day where the workers were located, but we were allowed to go to the blueberry bushes that were closer to the house. I have fond memories of spending lots of summer mornings picking blueberries. We would take a few gallon size buckets out and spend several hours filling them up. One of my favorite Aunts would always say that you could pick one blueberry and then three more immediately grow back in the same place. After picking them we would head back in the house and package them in smaller containers to be sold or given to friends and neighbors. Many of my summers were spent this way!

Now the crop fields are rented out, and there is not much activity on the farm. My grandfather passed away over 10 years ago and my grandmother is in her late 80's. However, the blueberry bushes are still there. Due to bad weather the last couple of years they haven't produced as many blueberries as in years past, but they still have some. I enjoy taking my own two boys out to see my grandma and to pick blueberries. It's so fun to see the excitement on their faces. There is nothing quite the same as picking a blueberry straight from the bush, popping it in your mouth, and tasting the delicious sweetness. My two year old almost always ends up eating more than what actually ends up in his bucket. I'm glad I can keep this tradition alive for now. We sure love summer days!
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Garden
Old 07-15-2017, 03:52 AM

When I was little we had a garden in out backyard. I remember working in it with my dad. One time we found a family of mice living there. I remember being scared of them and wanting nothing to do with them so I decided to go ride my bike. I had been practicing riding it on two wheels, and I'd never done it on my own before. I hopped in my bike while they were all busy with the mice and rode it alone for the first time.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Garden
Old 07-15-2017, 04:38 AM

When I was in my early 20's and single (and a city girl), I tried my hand at a vegetable garden at my new house. I was so proud of myself planting tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, and watermelon. I planted them all the same - not taking into consideration the actual size of a watermelon and the amount of space they would need.

Before long, I had these huge vines overtaking my little garden, and that was before the melons even starting growing! I was ripping up vines right and left.

On the plus side - the rest of the garden was amazing! I had more food than one person could possibly eat! Good times.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Suzanne

Garden Story
Old 07-15-2017, 04:39 AM

One of my favorite summertime memories was finding wild strawberries in the vacant land in our neighborhood. It was like a gift from the heavens. My neighborhood friends and I would pack up lunches in the morning, hop on our bikes and find a suitable picnic location. It was then that we'd stumble upon some of these delicious wild berries. We'd eat them right from the plant. (Funny thing, we never washed them, yet lived to tell about it!). I loved those days of exploration!
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Nana's Garden
Old 07-15-2017, 05:01 AM

I live in South Florida and other than orange groves, there aren't really farms here. But my Italian great-grandmother, who lived into her 90's, had this AMAZING garden all around the perimeter of their house (they had a LOT of land). My sister and I used to love to just wander around and look at everything she was growing - tomatoes, peppers, bananas, peas, etc. My great-grandfather also had a beehive that he kept far off in a corner of the yard. It was incredible to watch him put on all the gear and go out to handle the hive.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

My grandmother's Garden
Old 07-15-2017, 05:07 AM

I remember my grandmother growing her flowers and pulling the weeds with care. She loved her flowers and today when I see flower gardens I think of her.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

trasie

Mooo!
Old 07-15-2017, 05:58 AM

I am totally a city girl. Looking farms or at other people's gardens as we travel was pretty much the extent of my initial memories with this contest. I often have dreamed of putting a small garden in a our backyard.
But, woah....

Once, just once years ago, I spent a weekend on a dairy farm. DH's cousin was managing it. We arrived late at night. There were buildings but no houses crowded around. It was peacefully quiet, and dark at night was truly dark. The coolest part was the morning alarm. A surprisingly loud insistent MOOO outside the window woke me! It was a wonderful weekend!
trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Room for a garden
Old 07-15-2017, 06:08 AM

We moved very often while I was growing up (military family). One place, we had quarters (military housing) that had just enough space for a tiny garden by the back steps. My mother grew tomatoes and bell peppers. I remember loving and tending the tomatoes. The bell peppers- not so much. But I do remember my mother and sister making bell pepper sandwiches. To this day, I think it was just so that the rest of us would say, "YUCK!"
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

DoxieTeacher

Engagement
Old 07-15-2017, 06:43 AM

My husband and I were engaged in nyc! We went to a restaurant that has a beautiful outdoor garden with big beautiful lamps. We just celebrated our fourth anniversary at this same restaurant this week! It's such a beautiful garden memory.
DoxieTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Chocchip

My dad and his garden
Old 07-15-2017, 07:23 AM

My dad loved to garden and one year tried his hand at growing carrots. He would go out each morning and water his special plants. We would all go out and admire his work. Unbeknownst to dad, our practical joker neighbor was watching us. Our neighbor told my mom what he was going to do and to have the camera ready. The next day, my neighbor, dad, mom, my sisters and I went out to check the carrots. When my dad pulled the carrot out of the ground, it was half eaten! It took my dad a few minutes to realize our neighbor had bitten off half the carrot and stuck it back into the ground! Every summer my sisters and I get together and smile at the memories of my dad and his carrot adventure.
Chocchip is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Gators

Summer Memory
Old 07-15-2017, 07:39 AM

Getting married and taking pictures near the tulips. It was so hot in Florida but I married that man of my dreams! We will be celebrating 12 years this Sunday!
Go Gators is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4first

Garden Memory
Old 07-15-2017, 10:18 AM

My favorite garden memory was helping my grandmother in her flower garden. We wore sun hats and looked so grand. My favorite flowers were the sunflowers. I was always amazed at how tall they grew.
crazy4first is offline   Reply With Quote

Lucinda

Grandfather's Garden
Old 07-15-2017, 10:18 AM

Yes! My Granfather had a vegetable garden in Brooklyn, NY! The smell of the fresh tomatoes. He grew figs and other veggies too. The only thing I didn't like were the flies buzzing around.
Lucinda is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

A Gardener by Name and Nature!
Old 07-15-2017, 11:16 AM

My mother was an avid gardener and she married my father a Gardner by name. She loved planting flowers and vegetables, and she has passed the gene down to my sister and me. My sister participates in a church's community garden planted in individual huge wooden boxes. Her green thumb has produced giant squashes: crook-neck, summer and spaghetti varieties; and cucumbers. She texts photos to me often! She says she often finds these treasures hidden under the huge leaves that populate her box. Her latest treasure is a small striped watermelon that caught her by surprise! She has also been drafted to help some of the congregation with their neighboring boxes!

When we were very young we helped Mother with the careful weeding of the vegetable garden in our front yard. I loved working in the garden so much that I was given a section of my very own. I planted the only packet of seeds that was left: okra. I detest slimy okra! But I love to see plants growing. I had the biggest okra ever! I was given a packet of Zinnias seeds after that, and I had a patch of colorful flowers that provided fresh centerpieces for the table through the Fall.

I have continued to plant and harvest small vegetable gardens throughout my life. I've had cabbages, collard and Kale greens, Broccoli, Bell and Banana peppers, corn and tomatoes. Lots of tomatoes! The first time I made the mistake of putting 16 tomatoes in the garden. The vines ran all over everything and I was constantly pruning leaders every evening!
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

Frogs are Fun

Garden Memory
Old 07-15-2017, 11:29 AM

I loved helping my grandparents in their large garden. Helping pick and clean green beans was a big part of the summer. Nothing tasted better than my grandma's canned green beans. YUM!
Frogs are Fun is online now   Reply With Quote

ajmom

Pond Garden
Old 07-15-2017, 12:01 PM

We finally decided to tackle the garden around the pond in our new home. It was going well, DH and I agreed on which plants to take out and which to leave. I was spreading a new bag of stone when I hear DH say "Honey" at the same time I feel something on my foot. Yep- a snake was slithering across my feet!! Needless to say, DH finished the stone in the garden by himself!
ajmom is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Strawberry Picking
Old 07-15-2017, 12:08 PM

Finally school was out! I happily loaded my two sons and their friends (also brothers) into my car. We were off to go strawberry picking at a local farm. It was a beautiful day, the sun was streaming down and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. A cool breeze swept across the strawberry field as I looked at the boys scampering around and racing to see who could pick the most strawberries. We were going to make strawberry bread, strawberry shortcake, and strawberry jam together. Summer was off to a great start! The moment was just perfect until splat! My older son took an overripe strawberry and fired it at my younger son's friend. It hit him right in the #ss!! Splattering the red strawberry all over his lightly colored khaki shorts! So much for my peaceful summer, thus began the brother wars!
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

read2day

Garden memories
Old 07-15-2017, 12:51 PM

I grew up living next door to my grandparents. They had a HUGE garden in their backyard and ,of course, I had unlimited access. Raspberries, tomatoes, green beans, corn, rhubarb,and more. I used to eat tomatoes like apples; just add salt and bite right in! My grandma always made sure I got the first tomato of the season, much to my uncle's dismay!
read2day is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Peonies
Old 07-15-2017, 02:37 PM

I remember the smell of them, and picking them looking for ants.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

campy

when I was little
Old 07-15-2017, 03:06 PM

we would visit my great uncle's farm. He had a few cows in a pasture, along with a bull. That pasture was between the farm house and the creek where we always played. He told us the bull was very mean and we had to wait, watch him and then RUN LIKE HELL to get to the other fence to go to the creek . The funny part is I never remember that bull ever MOVING AT ALL. I think my great uncle had a great sense of humor and spent the winter laughing while he remembered us kids running across that pasture!
campy is offline   Reply With Quote

TLC

Old 07-15-2017, 03:43 PM

DH and I just traveled 800 miles to spend the week with our very first grandchild, Titus.
I even got to experience a milestone with him-he pulled himself up to a standing position.
A wonderful week of sunshine, swimming and snuggles!
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Charlotte

Grandma's garden
Old 07-15-2017, 04:40 PM

I have such great memories of my grandma's garden. She grew just about everything you could imagine. She made something we called Last of the Garden. It had carrots, peppers, green beans and other vegetables pickled and canned. I'd love to have a jar of her homemade goodies! She also made spectacular peach preserves.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 07-15-2017, 05:43 PM

I remember being a kid & going out with a few other families. I don't remember where we went but it was some kind of farm & at one point we kids walked through a field with cows in it. We neared the end of the field, where there was a gate & I remember feeling that the cows were chasing us. As an adult, I really am not sure that cows WOULD chase us, but that is what I remember! We ran to the gate but couldn't get it open. It was one of those farm gates with the 3 horizontal, wooden slats. We decided to climb over the gate, as those cows were closing in on us. Just as I got to the top slat, with one leg on each side of the gate, it swung open. I remember feeling so relieved to be on the other side of that gate, once we closed it. Whew! Needless to say, I'm a city kid, through & through!
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Old 07-15-2017, 05:57 PM

I remember picking tomatoes from my grandmother's garden. She loved it, and they always tasted the best. She had a light installed outside way back in the day before it was the norm so she could garden at night!
happygirl444 is online now   Reply With Quote

team

My Trip to the Moon
Old 07-15-2017, 06:21 PM

My favorite memory of all time involves sitting with my dad in our backyard looking out at our vegetable garden. You see, to everyone else we were just enjoying the outdoors, but the truth is we were taking a trip to the moon! I was only five and as we sat in our lawn chairs dad told me to buckle up for our voyage to the moon. When we arrived on the moon our garden, our house and everything else had transformed into a moon house and moon food. Click, I unbuckled my seatbelt and we got off of our space ship to explore the new land. The moon felt soft under my bare feet as we walked. To my great surprise there were moon people who looked almost like the cornstalks growing in our garden back home. My dad has since passed on, but the sense of wonder and imagination that he shared that sunny day on our moon trip is still with me.

Last edited by team; 07-16-2017 at 05:35 PM..
team is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Farmer Tom
Old 07-15-2017, 06:39 PM

My DH planted our first garden and didn't realize that pumpkins shouldn't be planted with other things or they will take over. He planted three pumpkins.
He was so proud of his pumpkins even though they took over the whole garden and killed almost everything. He built shelves for those pumpkins so that they wouldn't have to sit on the ground. He loved them so much that he didn't even want to cut them to use for Halloween. The whole summer he took such good care of those pumpkins that people though we bought them from the pumpkin patch in town. I can see him lovingly sculpting those vines out in the yard. Funny part though is that the next year he didn't plant even one. He said they were too much work!
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach4

In the garden
Old 07-15-2017, 07:17 PM

I remember my husband and I decided to plant a garden one summer. We planted tomatoes, which we had both grown previously. We also decided to plant cucumbers, which was new for us. We had no idea how they spread out and try to climb. One day we go out and it looks like the bush near our garden is growing cucumbers. The vines amd snaked up into the bush and cucumbers were hanging there.
Teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

Shelling Peas with Gramma (a garden story)
Old 07-15-2017, 08:00 PM

My gramma would often leave the city for the day to come visit us in a small town. One day, we were sitting in a circle on the porch and shelling a sackful of peas.

I think my gramma was eating more of the raw peas than what was in her bowl. With a twinkle in her eye, she exclaimed, "Oh my goodness! I haven't had a good pea in such a long time!" We all burst out laughing!
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

Staff

Editor

Staff
Old 07-16-2017, 08:22 AM

My father had a large garden. There was an asparagus patch right next to the raspberries. Every year he spent a few weeks cutting asparagus shoots, then he let the asparagus grow into large plants, which became a perfect place for me to hide in.

Thanks everyone for sharing your garden and farm memories! Enjoy reading!

Here is the lucky winner of our drawing. The winner will receive a $25 Amazon.com gift certificate!

Congratulations:

puzzle1mom

winner of the random drawing!
Thanks again to everyone who shared!

(How the winner was selected)
Editor is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-16-2017, 02:34 PM

congrats puzzle1mom!

I missed this post, but here's my quick garden memory!

When I was about 10, I really wanted to grow strawberries. So my mom got me some seeds and we planted a small strawberry vine outside in the backyard. I got a bunch of strawberries out of it- fun! There weren't a ton, and the vines got pulled up by my brother accidentally a few years later, but it was nice to pick my own strawberries.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

maui

Old 07-16-2017, 04:20 PM

I loved to plant sunflowers- loved how huge they got and how much "shade" they would give! I loved seeing them through my bedroom window.
maui is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 07-16-2017, 04:32 PM

Congrats, puzzle1mom!!

Loved reading so many wonderful memories!

Last edited by VivianCP; 07-16-2017 at 05:07 PM..
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jip

Summertime Memories in the Garden
Old 07-16-2017, 05:06 PM

On our dairy farm, my mother planted a large garden. My favorite time of the year was when the peas were young and ready. Then mom would dig around the sides of the potato plants and get some early young potatoes. She would make a thick white cream and drizzle it with lots of butter over peas and potatoes. I've been gone from home and the farm a long time, but when I think of that dish, I always think of being home on the farm.
Jip is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

I've loved
Old 07-16-2017, 07:18 PM

reading everyone's memories. Can't wait to read the swimming memories!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Red

Rose Garden
Old 07-17-2017, 12:09 PM

I have worked on my in-laws rose gardn since my father-in-law passed away. My mother-in-law would sit by the window and watch me work. She was always afraid I would work too hard!!! she passed away in January of this year. Once again I am working on weeding and teding to the roses as the house is now mine. The roses are beautiful but I so miss the smiling face in the window.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-17-2017, 12:46 PM

I absolutely loved going olallieberry picking with my mom! It is still my favorite berry to this day.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

TheNerdyProf

Gardening with Daddy
Old 07-17-2017, 04:17 PM

My dad loves to have a nice yard and always plants the best flowers. When I was younger one of my favorite things was to go to the local tool and garden store with my dad and pick out the plants we were gonna plant in our front garden. They were always colorful. I would help plant them with him and then we would go swimming. Now he does the planting with my daughter.
TheNerdyProf is offline   Reply With Quote

TLC

Ours vs. grandpa's
Old 07-18-2017, 11:15 AM

We always had a huge garden, but because it was so far north the season was never long enough to grow a good watermelon.
But my grandparents lived in Arkansas and Grandpa Charlie always had a huge patch of melons by the time we visited in August.
I remember visiting once and and him showing us how he had planted the melon patch too close to a fence and the vines had climbed it. Some watermelons were dangling and he was worried they would get too heavy and pull from the vine before ripe. We spent an afternoon making "hammocks" with aluminum pie plates and yarn to cradle the fruit.
I wish we had taken pictures.
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote