Help

BusyBoard

Required to turn in lesson plans

>

teacher2

Required to turn in lesson plans
Old 07-15-2017, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are required to turn in copies of our lesson plans at the end of the year. So far they have not needed to be elaborate grad school type plans. I'm just curious how many others are required to do this?

Do you use an online planner? If so which one do you like best?

Thanks.

teacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 07-15-2017, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We aren't required to turn in plans on a regular basis, but one the way out the door after an observation admin will always tell us to email them our plans. We have a district-wide template that we are required to use that I type into and print.
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Funnystory

Old 07-15-2017, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We turn them in weekly at our school.
Funnystory is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 07-15-2017, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our lesson plans must be submitted by 8:00AM on Mondays. We have online lesson plans which must include the following for each lesson: lesson objective, procedure, materials, differentiation, evaluation, as well as, the standards covered in the lesson.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

plans
Old 07-15-2017, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

we are required to submit our plans electronically before school starts Monday morning for the week.

Honestly I have been tempted to send the same plan and just change the date and see if anyone actually reads them
But that would be the week I would break my leg and they would actually need them.

javamomma is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-15-2017, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank goodness, no!
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

essence253

Plans
Old 07-15-2017, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have to turn in plans weekly. They are due by 9:15 each Monday morning. 9:15 is our start time.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 07-15-2017, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We don't thankfully.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Plans
Old 07-15-2017, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
I have been tempted to send the same plan and just change the date and see if anyone actually reads them
The son of the school board president did this.
KeyKid is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-15-2017, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have been so spoiled; I've worked in three different schools and never had to turn in plans. The school I did my ST at as well as several of the schools I did college practicums in made their teachers turn in plans, and some required them to be very detailed.

At my previous schools we had to turn them in for observations only. My last P made us do Madeline Hunter style (extremely detailed, if you're not familiar) plans for the whole week of our observation. She wasn't able to make us do that for other times due to the way our contract was written. Up until now, at my current school we haven't even had to turn them in for observations.

New P really seems like a micromanager and a lot of people think that will change this year. I really, really hope it doesn't. I like using a paper planbook and being able to write the plans according to what I need for instruction vs. busywork for some admin to look over. I use tons of abbreviations and don't write out much (I just have a bulleted list to remind myself of each activity). I personally would feel demeaned and like I wasn't being treated as a professional if I were required to use a specific format and turn it in each week.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-15-2017, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've had to turn them in in every district (3) in every building (too many to count right now) I've worked in. In this building they're due at 9:00 Monday morning.

I'm convinced not one P (of the 15 I've worked for) has ever read them. They file them and move on, but I turn them in because it's always been part of my eval.

I have a template on my computer on Word that I use. I just email the plans to my P and keep them minimized on my screen to refer to, make notes/changes as needed. I usually have 2 weeks going at a time; the current week and the following week.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

lesson plans
Old 07-15-2017, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We have to put ours online, through a district website, throughout the year so we don't have to turn them in at the end of the year.

We do have to turn in our grade book, and since those are also put online, it doesn't make sense to me. I just print it out and turn it in.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 07-15-2017, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We always had to turn them in weekly by 8 am on Monday mornings.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovegolf

Plans are turned in weekly
Old 07-15-2017, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We have to turn in plans weekly. They can be online or on paper. My P reads them because she'll ask the kids questions about what they are learning. She does follow what we are teaching.
lovegolf is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 07-16-2017, 01:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We work Monday through Thursday. We are required to turn our plans in at the end of the day on Thursday. I've used planbook.com for at least 5 years. Our school now uses planbook school wide.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

NCLATeacher

Lesson plans
Old 07-16-2017, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

This past year we were also required to turn our lessons in online. I know for a fact no one even looked at them since my AP came two different weeks on a Friday and wrote that students were reading silently both times and he wants to see something else. I wrote back and told him this was in my lesson plans that we do SSR every Friday. P actually admitted she didn't read them to another teacher.

BTW, both P and AP are no longer with us . . .
NCLATeacher is online now   Reply With Quote

KCJ

Yeah, always did...
Old 07-16-2017, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I've been required to turn them in weekly or monthly every job I've had. I started using Planbook.com 3 years ago and love it. You write them up, attach stuff, pick standards, create assessments, save/print pdfs and share with colleagues or admin. If I have one piece of advice is to keep two sets of plans. I use a handwritten weekly agenda to keep track of daily activities, lists, and standards I've taught or need to re teach. The Planbook are my official plans, which are usually the complete set, with differentiation and extras to use in case something changes. I also update sub plans regularly and save those. You could also download a planner from tpt and type up, save, and submit.
KCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 07-16-2017, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We must have them turned in before 8 on Monday morning. They are super long and detailed due to the amount of stuff we are required to include. Standard, academic vocabulary, hook, direct teach, guided practice, independent practice, closure, assessment for EVERY LESSON EVERY SUBJECT EVERY DAY.

It is flat out ridiculous. I have always had to turn in plans, but this school is the worst about making you include needless crap.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

KBTeacher

Lesson plans
Old 07-16-2017, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We are required to turn in lesson plans weekly by 4:00 the Friday prior. Stored in district online program, 1 hard copy turned in to admin, 1 copy outside our classroom door and I keep a hard copy in my binder at my desk for reference throughout the week. 🙄
KBTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 07-16-2017, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I'm surprised those of you who aren't required to do them are allowed to have prep time. We get seven preps a week. It's understood that time is for meetings, lesson planning, or class prepping. It's in our contract and handbook. I've seen people get written up for say getting a coffee when their bulletin boards are old. I can see the same happening with lesson plans. It's also in the handbook that you're being paid to do lesson planning. Honestly, in my district our lesson plans are very scripted due to curriculum and testing. Basically our lesson plans are more like Math Text page x-z and the standard vs something elaborate. However, when being observed (even parents can ask) they will check to see if you're following the text. I.e. there will be waves if you're behind or ahead your teammates.

GraceKrispy

Old 07-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

For my first teaching job (4 years there), we had to turn in our plans once a month, and then the very end of the year. We had to include all the standards we were teaching, the full explanation of lessons, etc. It was insane, and we had to use the standard paper planner (and there was NO room in there for all that info!).

My next teaching job we never had to turn in plans even once. I much preferred that. I am less a plan writer and more a doer. I've never used an online planner, but I hope you find a good one.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

smannes

Old 07-16-2017, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
AlwaysSummer's Message:
I'm surprised those of you who aren't required to do them are allowed to have prep time. We get seven preps a week. It's understood that time is for meetings, lesson planning, or class prepping.
Just because some people don't have to turn them in doesn't mean they're not using their "prep" time to write lesson plans.

I've been at 2 schools in my career. My first school we had to submit them via Dropbox every week by 11:59 Sunday evening. The school I'm at now doesn't require turning in lesson plans but I still do them. I spent in upwards of 3+ hours working on lesson plans (often at home and on the weekends because that's when I could really plan without being interrupted), using planbook.com, each week. I also used my planning time for attending meetings (rare - maybe 1-2 times a month), grading, copying, hanging student work, creating lesson activities etc. We had 2-3 planning times a day (depending on if specials were canceled or not) and sometimes I just needed a break from all the prep so my principal and I would just chat during 1 of my planning times, about anything or nothing.
smannes is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs Readalot

Every week
Old 07-17-2017, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

We have to turn them in every Monday.
Mrs Readalot is online now   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 07-17-2017, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

We are getting brand new admin this year, so I don't know yet what they'll require. Old P required lesson plans turned in Monday morning. Then at the end of the year, we had to send our entire year's plans into him (which I never understood since they'd already been sent!).

I use PlanbookEdu. I really like it and I pay the $25 per year for the additional features since I find them helpful.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-17-2017, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Quote:
I'm surprised those of you who aren't required to do them are allowed to have prep time. We get seven preps a week. It's understood that time is for meetings, lesson planning, or class prepping. It's in our contract and handbook. I've seen people get written up for say getting a coffee when their bulletin boards are old. I can see the same happening with lesson plans. It's also in the handbook that you're being paid to do lesson planning. Honestly, in my district our lesson plans are very scripted due to curriculum and testing. Basically our lesson plans are more like Math Text page x-z and the standard vs something elaborate. However, when being observed (even parents can ask) they will check to see if you're following the text. I.e. there will be waves if you're behind or ahead your teammates.
I'll just say that I'm very glad I don't work at your school! I can't imagine many professionals wanting to stick around a place where they can't get coffee because their bulletin boards are "old" . It's also very erroneous to assume that people aren't doing plans just because they don't have to turn them in. Teachers are professionals who should be trusted to do their jobs without turning in "homework" like children, IMO, unless evaluations indicate that the teacher needs support with developing plans.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 07-17-2017, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I agree!! My planning time is my time unless we have a meeting. If I need to run to grab a drink or lunch nobody cares. Lord knows we work plenty of hours on our off time that we better not get written up over coffee.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I agree with Haley23. In fact, every time I go on PT, I'm thankful to teach at my school. There are so many little things that I took for granted before like not having to turn in plans, not having to have meetings during specials, not having to be on a committee, etc etc.

I wish the PP luck though. It sounds like a tough school situation!
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher2

Thank you
Old 07-18-2017, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

for all of the replies they give me a better perspective about my situation. I do plan of course. I just find that my plans usually need to be very flexibe as they don't always happen in the time frame that I think they will when I'm writing the plans. The online plans are nice in that they can be easily modified when needed, and as someone said some of them have nice features like drop down menus with the common core state standards that we are required to include in our plans.

I generally write a skeleton plan unless I am writing sub plans then I am more detailed. It seems like there is a new favorite planning style/template every year or so that we are encouraged to follow.

Congratulations to those of you who get lots of prep time. Our secondary schools get about an hour all at once each day. In elementary we get small amounts of time a couple of times per week in addition to part of the time on minimum days. I am grateful for any amount but find the larger chunks of time to be the most useful as opposed to 15 minutes here a half hour there, etc...
teacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 07-18-2017, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I have been teaching for 25+ years. Have never had to turn in a lesson plan or day book. My prep time is mine. Meetings cannot be scheduled during that time unless I agree to it.
imatchr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

ThatDiva

Lesson Plans
Old 07-23-2017, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

In our state, lesson plans are auditable documents and must be kept for 5 years. I would just burn mine on cd and turn them in at the end of the year.

At my very first school, our plans had to be turned in on Fridays. You had to make a copy of the plans in case the principal didn't get to yours. She signed and left notes on them. Sometimes, I wouldn't get my Plan book back until Tuesday afternoon. She also kept a grade book that listed each teacher's names where she would check off when you completed tasks including paperwork, lesson plans, staff meetings, et cetera. She also read every progress report and made notes as well. Some comments would be...this child's grades are too high, are challenging your students, re-evaluate their grades...

Needless to say, I was only there for a year. Also, she's no longer a principal. She was so busy monitoring teachers that the test scores were in the toilet. Priorities were screwed.
ThatDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachandBowl

Old 07-24-2017, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

For those of you who have to turn in your lesson plans, how much time do you spend on them?? I cannot imagine having to be responsible for that. I most certainly do not write out all my lesson plans...I know my objectives, differentiation, etc. but I don't take time to write them out!
TeachandBowl is offline   Reply With Quote