I'm new at this job and I feel like I'm not cut out to be a teacher - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

I'm new at this job and I feel like I'm not cut out to be a teacher

>

newteacher23

I'm new at this job and I feel like I'm not cut out to be a teacher
Old 07-16-2017, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I started working at this daycare 2 months ago and they put me in the toddler room. I never expected working with toddlers since I had always plan on working with the 3 or 4 year olds. So working with the toddlers has been a bit of challenge especially since I never had that much experience working with them since when I did my intern, I was mostly with the older kids of 3 to 6. And also I never change diapers before lol. But lately I feel like maybe I'm not cut out to be a teacher cause I sometimes feel like I keep making mistakes. I have trouble controlling the kids when they are misbehaving. One time, my coworker was saying that I need to keep an eye on them when she is doing something to avoid accidents and I do keep an eye on them. And that one time I threw away this sharp metal thing so the kids wouldn't get hurt by it and I turn around and this child started crying. And that's when she told me that and also said that shouldn't have happen or what happen to this other girl shouldn't have happen when a kid hit her with a toy. And it's like she is trying to say it's my fault these accidents happen. And I just felt bad about my self like maybe this was my fault and maybe I'm not cut out to be a teacher since I keep making these mistakes. I can't seem to control the students when they miss behave. I don't know. I need advice and support that can help me.

newteacher23 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher24

Old 07-16-2017, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've been teaching 12 years and sometimes I still have those kinds of feelings. Working with kids is definitely a challange, and it takes a few years to find your way. don't let anyone make you feel incompetent! You were hired there for a reason. I work with 3-5 year olds so I've never been with toddlers, but I do have a toddler, and you have to have like 5 sets of eyes for just one so I can imagine a class of them lol. Just give yourself time. Also, decide if you want this age group and if not, it's ok to look for other positions with older children while working there. If you stick with something you don't want, you're not going to do as well.
teacher24 is offline   Reply With Quote

newteacher23

Old 07-16-2017, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for the advice. And there is 10 toddlers in my classroom so it's a bit stressful when some of them won't listen. Lol. And yeah I was thinking of waiting a while before I ask to apply working with the older kids since I just started working there, I don't want to ask right away.
newteacher23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lovechild

Old 08-07-2017, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I understand how you feel. I can remember my first day working with infant and toddlers. It is very challenging and energetic. But it can be a learning experience. Research infant and toddler behavior. This will help you to understand their behavior. Get to know each child and value their uniqueness. Lastly, practice patient and calmness. I hope this help
Lovechild is offline   Reply With Quote