Help

First Grade

New/unique ideas for individual book baggies

>

Peacebluekitty

New/unique ideas for individual book baggies
Old 07-17-2017, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm back in first! I have shuffled around with different baskets/ bags for the students to place their independent rdg. books in. I have used the Hefty jumbo plastic bags, Dr. Seuss bags I found at Target on yr., and the non woven polyfiber type bags. The handles on the Dr. Seuss bags and nonwoven bags popped off easy. The sound of Hefty bags drove me nuts and tore up easily . I thought about ordering the hospital personal belongings bags, but they all say "patient's or personal belongings." I plan for the students to put them in their cubbies but also plan to put command hooks on the tables so they can hang their bags or have access to them for most of the day. What other type bags have you used that have been efficient?

Peacebluekitty is offline   Reply With Quote

AMK88

AMK88

book bags
Old 07-17-2017, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've tried it all! I tried Ikea cardboard magazine bins but they weren't very sturdy and looked messy. Then I purchased a class set of plastic magazine book bins from Really Good Stuff but I eventually couldn't stand them! The bins were always falling over, cracking, and it was a pain to store 30 of them in my tiny classroom. I moved to book bags and haven't looked back. Here are the ones I've used:

- Really Good Stuff "Book Buddy Bag." Basically a fancier ziplock bag with a handle. These are cheap and I probably have to replace about 6 of them each year. I would recommend them if you don't want to spend money! $10 for 5.

- Send-Home Book Bags from Resources for Reading (The website is ABC Stuff . com). These are great! They're big enough that most books will fit inside (except oversized picture books), but they're small enough that kids can't hoard books like they do in bins. I am currently going into my 3rd year of using the same set! I just machine wash and line dry them at the end of each year. I have never had to replace one! It's $12 for a set of 4.

- Store More Medium Book Pouches from Really Good Stuff. These are the most expensive but probably the best quality, if that's what you're going for. The light colors do show dirt quickly so I would advice against those! The medium size is fine if you're just putting books inside but the large is better if you want kids to store notebooks and/or a folder. My coworker has these and is going into her 4th year using the same set. These are $20 for 4.

I have kids store these in their desks, because we don't keep much else in there.

Marcimcg

Book bags/boxes
Old 07-18-2017, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have been using cardboard boxes from Really Good Stuff. They have 2 sizes. I get the shorter ones. They rarely tip over because of the shorter height. School pays for them and I put them together watching TV. They last all year. Kids keep on shelves; I can easily go through them to check on books they pick.

They take home guided reading book(s) in gallon size Baggie. This also is stored in their book box. They pull it out for group time.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Store more pouches
Old 07-18-2017, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I got these through DonorsChoose this past school year, and they are my favorite. Prior to that is used the book buddy bags- they are ok. And I've used those canvas totes that you can get from Michaels and wrote their names on them with sharpies. I had visions of washing and reusing them, but they get too cruddy. I let them take them home at the end of the year as a "gift!" (I know, I'm such a big sport!)
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Book Bags
Old 07-18-2017, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've used this type for years now. They put them on the back of their chair.
http://www.stepstoliteracy.com/pack-n-reads.html

Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Peacebluekitty

Many thanks for your suggestions
Old 07-18-2017, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you so much for responding! I don't know why I'm obsessing over these bags. This will be my 22nd year teaching. I have read and truly appreciate all of your suggestions. Willing and excited to try any and all ideas, especially these you have posted for me. I had considered buying the cloth bags and letting the students decorate them in some Reggio- inspired way. My school gives us NO money. We do get a check from our state but you all know that check comes at the last minute and doesn't cover everything...
Peacebluekitty is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Perhaps
Old 07-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

plastic mailing envelopes?

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=smi_w..._e&tag=mh0b-20

You can get them at most office supply stores as well. Great if a local one is having a teachers' day special.

I'd suggest cutting off the sticky strip so the kids don't seal up the bag. And adding two holes and some yarn to make a hanging handle if you want to have that. I think they are sturdy enough to hold the weight of hanging. They'd be perfect for in and out of cubbies.

I used them for several years to send home books to read and they help up to the back and forth very well. A made a new set each year and sent the old ones home with end of the year stuff for the families.
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote

JunieBTeacher

Reading boxes
Old 07-21-2017, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use storage boxes. I label each box & students take it to desks.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
JunieBTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 07-22-2017, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Great idea! That reminds me. The teacher next door uses her cubby cart in a similar way
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 07-26-2017, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I use zipper freezer bags, but reinforce the edges with duct tape. A couple of kids would overstuff or poke holes in them. Most of them held up for the entire year, though. I had s parent take the supplies home and she taped the bags while she watched TV.

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

justdc5

Old 07-29-2017, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

A coworker bought the reusable grocery bags at Target. They were .99 a piece. They held up pretty well. She had the students hang them on their hook when they left for school. They would them hang them on their chair during the day. She also numbered them so she could reuse them. I use the gallon size baggies.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
justdc5 is offline   Reply With Quote

3rdgradequeen

Book bags
Old 07-31-2017, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

For guided teading, I got plastic envelopes from office max. They are 50 cents each. They work great for taking to and from school. They fit their book and their word work or response journals. They are studied than folders or plastic bags.

They still have a book box too (from really good stuff). This is for their books to read at school during read to self.
3rdgradequeen is offline   Reply With Quote

schoolbells

Book Baggies
Old 08-06-2017, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

There are lots of good ideas here! I have not tried these but, I'm considering these: School Specialty Sports Pack, Polyester/Leather, 14 in W x 18 in H, Royal Blue. They are 3.55 each. I probably spent that much per child last year with plastic baggies.
schoolbells is offline   Reply With Quote