Second Grade

Classroom Pet

>

TheNerdyProf

Classroom Pet
Old 07-18-2017, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,

This will be my first year teaching and it's for 2nd grade ELA. One idea that I found to incorporate throughout the year was a classroom pet with associated journal. I already have the pet (it's a stuffed owl, which goes with my owl theme classroom). And I have the resources to create the journal. The plan is to allow the students to take the owl home on the weekends and write in the journal about their adventures. One of the resource pages includes a cover to put the pet's name. My question is, do I let the student's name the pet with a name competition or to avoid fighting and/or boasting (if that student's name choice is picked) should I just name the pet myself?

TheNerdyProf is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 07-18-2017, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Having a contest can be fun, but can also create problems for you. I know, I know, you are thinking it will make a great math activity and the class can make a bar graph. NOT worth it, in my opinion. (I will admit that I have done naming contests in the past and manipulated the results to avoid a name that I didn't care for. Shame on me, but it's the truth!)

Save yourself the grief and introduce Hooty, or whatever name you have chosen, and be done with it.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

TheNerdyProf

I like the way you think!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Readerleader, that sounds like something I would do with the results too I think I agree though, I will give the owl a name. Maybe I can ask my 5 year old daughter for one. At least than a kid still named him
TheNerdyProf is offline   Reply With Quote