Help

The Job Search

Honest feedback on demo lesson

>

emmay8

Honest feedback on demo lesson
Old 07-19-2017, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had to do my first demo lesson ever yesterday for a job I really want. I went into it knowing they really liked me. My philosophies and practices align well with theirs and I have 9 years of experience in private school.
I was given a standard two weeks ago along with skills that didn't all align with the standard. Plus they would NEVER have fit into the half hour block. So I focused on the one that aligned most closely and would have been the logical first lessonv(which he mentioned in his phone conversation prior).
I put a ton of prep work into this. Had several veteran teachers look it over. They all saidxto watch myvtime do I made some modifications. Didn't know until a day ahead that I would have a total of five students, two would be TAG.
I nervous but ready. Well it was about 1,000 degrees in the room so I got super hot and sweaty which flustered me a little but certainly didn't stop me. The way the students arrived caused me to modify my ibtro a little and I subsequently forgot my short warmup. As soon as I started I realized one girl was taking forever to respond to directions so I made sure to visit her desk immediately after giving them to assure she was one task. I circulated and pulled out manipulatives when the students were struggling a bit. But I went waaay over in time and then didn't even get to finish. I did adequately adjust my assessment to reflect that. But I felt like it could have been summed up better (the principal had told me twice I had five minutes). I left feeling totally defeated. No time for the fifteen minute follow-up discussion so I didn't get to discuss what I would have done differently. The superintendent, who I'm told isn't always the nicest guy, was very pleasant to me and asked if he could keep part of the materials I had created.
I feel like I might have blown it. There are six candidates for three positions. My husband and a friend say no. I don't know what to think. I sent thank you'd immediately. But wondering if calling the principal to see if he wants to discuss the lesson since we did not have time would be a good or bad idea.

Last edited by emmay8; 07-19-2017 at 04:41 AM..
emmay8 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-19-2017, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's hard to say not being in the room. It sounds like you made adjustments as you went and you're genuinely reflective, both of which are good things. You recognized immediately a struggling student and assisted her, had manipulatives and a well thought out lesson.

I don't think it can hurt to call the principal. If nothing else it will give you a read on the situation.

Good luck.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

emmay8

Old 07-19-2017, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you. I decided to send him an email letting him know I was available if he wanted to talk about the lesson. I figured that would put him on the spot less. Don't know if I should extend the same courtesy to the superintendent. He was there at the end but he may have questions he didn't have them or he may just appreciate me taking the initiative.

KCJ

Old 07-19-2017, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know if you'll get the position. I'm leaning towards no, but the fact they liked the materials you used and readjusting your assessments are both very positive. We all know that's the way it works in real life. Going over the time is not good--it has happened to me during observations and it's a problem for the flow of instruction. I wish you the best of luck and I know it's so hard when you put so much effort in and it doesn't go as planned. I hope you won't let it discourage you and keep you from learning from all experience. Positive thoughts!
KCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-19-2017, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Since you asked for honest feedback, my suggestion is to make sure you don't go over next time. Keep your eye on the clock and make adjustments as needed so you can finish within the time limit. You can always explain how you would have expanded the lesson in your debrief session. I've done a few demos and have never been given more than 30 minutes, so you're going to have to figure out a way to make it shorter. The debrief session is just as important as the demo lesson, so you want to make sure you get to this.

This could be off base, but my gut says that if they really liked the lesson they would have taken at least a few minutes to meet with you at the end. Of course it's possible their schedule was just that tight, but I can't imagine not being able to fit in even 3-4 minutes to talk about the lesson. Whether you get the job or not really just depends on how the other candidates do, IMO. It's hard to predict something like this. Did they give you a timeline that you'd hear by? If you don't get the position, at least you can use this as a learning experience. Now you know what to do differently next time.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

emmay8

Old 07-19-2017, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The other three demos are tomorrow. The superintendent said we could know as early as Friday I Friday.

Gogogo

Ease up on yourself
Old 07-19-2017, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think you are being too hard on yourself and are probably magnifying your challenges. It is hard for any teacher to go in and do a model lesson cold with students she has never met. They obviously like you. With a model lesson, they want to see how you interact with the kids -- and how you deliver lessons.

Quite honestly, going overtime would be a very minor concern for me if i were
hiring. It's something that can easily be worked on. Now if you seemed cold and impatient to the children, I would take note. if your lesson didn't cover the standard or you presented material that was too difficult or too easy for that age that would worry me.

I do think probably a lot has to do with how the other candidates performed. I doubt they all hit it out of the ballpark.

You never know -- at my interview for a third grade position, they mentioned they also had a fifth grade position and would I be interested. I said no, because I am intimidated by older kids. Guess which job I was offered? Yes, the fifth grade -- and I took it and taught 5th grade for the next four years and had a blast!

Good luck!
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

emmay8

Old 07-20-2017, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I heard today. I did not get the position. Thsnks for the feedback. I'll take this as a learning experience. Lots to think about.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-21-2017, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm sorry you didn't get the position. I hate demos. I don't think they ever truly reflect me as a teacher. They're not my kids, it's not my classroom and it's not really an authentic experience.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote