Fourth Grade

Tutoring Rising 4th Grader

>

ST13

Tutoring Rising 4th Grader
Old 07-19-2017, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I am going to be tutoring a former student of mine this summer. I used to tutor before I started teaching but the student was in Kindergarten so we really focused on basic reading skills. Also, it was all year, twice a week so there was a lot of time.

This time around, I will only be tutoring once a week for the summer (so less than 6 weeks I guess). His fluency is fine but comprehension is weak for higher order thinking questions.

I am trying to organize what we should focus on but am having trouble figuring out a good plan. Should I do a guided reading type of setting where we read a novel together and answer questions in an interactive notebook? Or should I focus on short stories (maybe one short story per session) and focus on a different skill each week? I want to incorporate games as well maybe to end the session?

Since time is limited I want him to get the most out of our sessions, but I am not really sure what approach to take.

Any advice?

ST13 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 07-19-2017, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I tutor a student once a week. I don't think there's enough meeting time to read a novel together. I spend about 5-10 minutes checking in on what he is reading independently throughout the week (making sure he is reading and comprehending). I've been trading off fiction and nonfiction. With fiction I've been practicing a lot of inferring. Nonfiction I've been practicing a lot of main idea. It all depends on what your student needs. I think when it's one-on-one it can be less structured. Really, we're focusing on so many skills because we're working through a text together.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ST13

Old 07-20-2017, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks'

When you say you switch off between fiction and nonfiction do you do picture books that are shlrt? Or do you stick to worksheets that have passages on them?
ST13 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 07-20-2017, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For fiction, I've used higher-level picture books, some little books we had with our old guided reading program, as well as Reading A-Z. I love using fables or folk tales because the students can use clues to infer the morals/lessons.

For nonfiction, I use either Reading A-Z or something from a kids magazine. You can check them out from many libraries (Time for Kids, National Geographic Kids, Storyworks, etc.)
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote
EilatSheli

EilatSheli

Tutoring
Old 08-01-2017, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I tutor a rising 5th grader. I have tutored him since first grade and next year will be the last year. His problem is that he nevers reads at home. I tried everything. We ordered books from Scholastics. I gave him books with corresponding movies. I tried funny books, mysteries, nonfiction, fantasy, science fiction, you name it. I tried easy books, and VERY easy books. Nothing. Bribes, punishments, encouragements all resulted in one big nada.
Now I bring material with me and he reads while I am there and then we discuss.

ReadWorks.org is great for short leveled texts with accompanying questions. They are great discussion starters (to assess comprehension). Another tool to help with comprehension is good ole YouTube. If we read about skiing, we watch a few short videos about skiing. Many times lack of comprehension is the result of lack of exposure.

Other good websites are newsela.com, Times for Kids and ReadingA-Z.com

They have short leveled texts in fiction. nonfiction, history, and primary sources.