Moving from Alternative School to Regular School? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Moving from Alternative School to Regular School?

>

mckbearcat48

Moving from Alternative School to Regular School?
Old 07-23-2017, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I finished my first year teaching at an alternative 6-12 school, and want to know if y'all have any advice at moving to a public school.

I have a JD, Masters-Ed in Teaching, and undergrad degrees in English and History. I have volunteered as a baseball coach the last 3 years at the district where I student taught. I subbed my first year out at many districts (including the one I want). I interviewed 2 weeks ago, but bombed the interview to an internal candidate...I've interviewed there twice and both times wasn't impressive enough to beat out internal candidates. I've also interviewed at several other districts and have been given feedback that I would be too expensive (small, rural high school near where I grew up). I thought about forfeiting my JD at times, but it's more expensive to give up a degree than it is to keep it.

I did get renewed at my current school (science 6-12....yeah, I'm certified in ELA and SS but taught Science). Do you think that teaching science last year is a negative against me in looking for ELA/SS positions (since I didn't teach any of my cert areas last year)?

Thanks in advance for all the good advice you can come up with.

mckbearcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Jd
Old 07-31-2017, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is a JD? How are you able to teach in an area you aren't certified to teach? Things must be different where you teach than what I'm used to. But I would think you'd want to teach in your certification areas. Can you keep applying to more jobs? It sounds like you haven't tried very many places yet.?
Keep your licenses that you have earned. If you ever want them again you may need to take more classes to get them back. I'd keep searching to see if you could get interest from other schools. If not, you have your present job to fall back on. Try earlier in the year next year to see if you can get a job in your area of certification.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Betty4567

I interviewed for lower elem.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a Masters of Science and I'm a certified CRC (rehab counselor).

I also made a huge mistake during my first interview because I mentioned those areas (science/counseling) and didn't mention my elem. experience.

My advice is not to get rid of the degree/certification! Overhaul, the answers to your questions so that you highlight the areas of your certifications. I didn't even mention my Masters or counseling certification during my other interviews (and got the job).

Try to get as many professional development hours or something to show that you still have an interest in ELA/S.S.

I don't think your previous year will be seen as a negative. SPIN your responses so that you are seen as a flexible person.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by Betty4567; 07-31-2017 at 05:25 PM..
Betty4567 is offline   Reply With Quote

mckbearcat48

Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

JD is a law degree. I was an attorney before I started the education program.

Since I taught at an alternative school (metro St. Louis area), all one needs is a valid license in any subject area to teach. At the public schools, that isn't the case. You are absolutely right that I would like to teach my content areas...but I feel that I am getting better as a teacher when I can teach outside my "comfort zone" of SS or ELA.
mckbearcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote