Career Decisions

On the fence

>

Mellie

On the fence
Old 07-24-2017, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all!
You were all so supportive when I posted last spring about being harassed by administration, some of the parents, and my so called partner teacher. I survived the school year (barely) and resigned from the school. I have felt very traumatized this summer and am finally (now that the summer is winding down) starting to feel more like myself. I am dreading the school year even though I am only signed up to sub and cover a maternity leave. I am trying to find some optimism and excitement because I don't want to give up my calling to teach, but I am so anxiety ridden and discouraged by the state of education and how horrible people can be to each other that I don't know if I have the strength to continue in this field. I am trying to convince myself to cover this maternity leave and decide after that. I'm really hoping a change in environment will be all I need to regain my love of teaching, but after the year I've had and how traumatized I am, I am skeptical. If you have any supportive words or suggestions on how to regain my confidence, I'd appreciate it. Thanks all!

Mellie is offline   Reply With Quote

PeaceLoveRun

I know that feeling...
Old 07-25-2017, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

all to well. I ended up taking a year off because I had such a difficult time. I swore off teaching altogether, and now I'm back. Do the sub assignment and see how it goes. It might renew your joy in the classroom, or not, but either way, you'll know for sure. And the sub position is temporary anyway, so at least you have that. Better to know now than if you were to take a permanent position. Good luck!!
PeaceLoveRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Mellie

Thank you
Old 07-27-2017, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's very true! I'd hate to accept a full time position and still be feeling this way. I'm hopeful with the sub position and the hours being earlier than I'm used to, I'll have some daylight time to do things and find where I'm meant to be whether it's in the classroom or not. If I'm honest, my hope is that it renews my passion for teaching and leads to a permanent position either there or in a similar school--by all accounts it's nothing like the one I've come from *fingers crossed! I am nervous though because they will have a new principal and my experience with new administrators has been negative :/ Here's hoping this one is understanding and supportive.
Mellie is offline   Reply With Quote

markm

Old 09-22-2017, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught one year - hated it went back to grad school - life's circumstance brought me back to it again 5 years later - now I am on my 33rd year of teaching. I don't know your situation but sometimes a particular group of parents and admins and circumstances can really add up to a terrible year. As I moved on in life I saw my failure in my first year was partly my fault and partly lack of support from administrators. I learned some lessons as I looked at what happened and it got better year after year as I got better at dealing with situations, students and people. Give it a try in a new place and circumstance and you might be surprised how great it can be.
Lawmakers and society have gotten together to try to suck the joy out of what we do in the classroom. Don't let them. But to be honest sometimes there is another great career out there waiting for us too if we want it and it fits us. Only you can know the real deal for your life. But kids out there need a good teachers
markm is offline   Reply With Quote