Help

Future Teachers

Feeling Unprepared

>

MrsDedicated

Feeling Unprepared
Old 07-25-2017, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I was talking with some friends in my cohort and we all had the same sentiment that we feel totally unprepared for what's to come. I start internship I either the first or second week of August. I'll be in 2nd grade for 7 weeks and 3rd grade for the following 7 weeks. I have been waiting for this time to come since I was in high school. I think all of the building of anticipation has left me feeling sort of anxious. Is it normal to feel like you have no idea what you're doing going into student teaching? What can I do to make a good impression on my mentor teacher?

Thanks in advance.

MrsDedicated is offline   Reply With Quote

cali11

Breath
Old 07-26-2017, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello!
I just finished student teaching in December, and my cohort and I had the same feeling that you guys do. We really had no idea what we were getting into, even though we were equipped with theoretical knowledge from our college courses. Before I began, I put together a student teaching binder found on Teachers Pay Teachers, which made me at least feel a little more prepared. I also suggest going to all of the professional development/teacher work days before school so you can get to know the teachers and the climate of the school before the students come in.

As far as making a good impression on your mentor, just go with the flow and take every opportunity offered to you. For example, the grade I was student teaching went to camp for 3 days. I absolutely hate sleeping in strange places and being around people I don't really know. I sucked it up, and really got to know the other teachers and staff. I think it is from this experience that my first cooperating teacher and I are still friends to this day. My second cooperating teacher was incredibly difficult to work with, and I had anxiety about coming to school every single morning. She was critical and condescending. Although I secretly couldn't stand her, I sucked it up and did everything she told me to do. By the end, she had written me a recommendation letter before I even asked her to, bought me a gift and wrote a very nice card that made me cry (and I don't cry easily.) It sucked, but someone can do anything for 8 weeks, and I feel stronger because of that experience. I am getting ready to begin my 1st year teaching, and I still don't feel prepared. I don't think anyone will ever be prepared as they would like to be, and that is just the nature of the job.

I hope that helps! Good luck to you!
cali11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Runewolf

Old 09-30-2017, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My advice would be just to do your best, because even if someone doesn't like you or you don't get along with your mentor you know who you truly are and you did what you came to do which was to learn what it takes to be a teacher. Also remember that you ARE going to make mistakes, but that is completely normal because that is what learning is all about. Let your passion shine through and be upfront on any problems that you may be facing. Good luck!
Runewolf is offline   Reply With Quote