Help

Career Decisions

New to teaching

>

ccstwelds

New to teaching
Old 07-26-2017, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a new teacher I was a welder for 37 years and now I'm teaching it. It'd something I always thought about. I had a great welding teacher and life lessons I was taught then still come to mind. I have no formal training as a teacher, they gave me a conditional certificate and have 2 years to take 4 classes and pass the praxis 1. I started teaching last October. The class I inherited was horrible, I actually got my old job back after thinking it's not for me. By the time everything went through I had a new class that were all mine, they couldn't compare me with anyone. Teaching became fun. Of course my new class may be different, who knows. I have 1 class a , all day. After reading how some people hate where they work, I have to say our administration is great and supportive, the system has given me an ample budget to work with and the school is 2 years old and my shop is really modern and up to date. Right now I'm enjoying the benefits of being off for the Summer. So at this point I think I made the right career decision. If it doesn't work out, I still have a trade to go back to.

Last edited by ccstwelds; 07-26-2017 at 12:18 PM..
ccstwelds is offline   Reply With Quote

PeaceLoveRun

Welcome!
Old 07-26-2017, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm also multi-careered! There will always be good years and bad years, and I'm learning that I need to be able to take the bad years with the good years and not be so quick to call it quits. Welcome to the board! It's great here!
PeaceLoveRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Substitute

Old 07-29-2017, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

CCST, you remind me of the article I read describing how many people became teachers back in the 1800s. They were working at something else, but when they became injured or too old to continue the manual job, they started teaching.

It's the ultimate way to pass your knowledge down. There's NOTHING like an "experienced teacher" who talks the talk, "AND" has walked the walk.

I subbed for a teacher like you. It was a high school photography class. He was in his 50s, had worked the field all his life, I don't remember why he switched to teaching, but there was NOTHING the kids could ask him that he didn't know, hadn't done (for years), or couldn't find out. He was HIGHLY thought of.

Kids KNOW when you know your stuff.
His room was like an Einstein laboratory--STUFF all over the place, but HE KNEW HIS STUFF!
My opinion is, they make the BEST TEACHERS!
Substitute is offline   Reply With Quote

ccstwelds

Thanks
Old 07-31-2017, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for your response. I've been told from other teachers there. The word will get around if you know what you're doing. I'm still learning the class room educator part. But in the shop, I'm at home. I've already been told from the students, "wow, I never thought we would be doing things like this when I signed up for this class." I don't just want them to be able to weld, I want them to be able to build things from scratch and follow it through to the end. For example, there is a farm museum at the corner of our property where the school is. They approached me about building their new sign, fourteen feet high, nine feet wide and attach an old horse drawn plow on top. Very cool project. We did everything, fabricated, painted and delivered. It is a nice community relations project, plus they will see it everyday on the bus when they come to school. I'm hoping it will continue to be fun.
ccstwelds is offline   Reply With Quote

Petra0688

Teach with a b.a?
Old 08-15-2017, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I only have a B.A. degree in World Literature. I'am an on call part time K-12 Substitute Teacher, during the school year. I saw the some of the teachers I subbed for, only had their B.A. degrees and teached regular classes, with no teaching certification or masters degrees. I"am interested in teaching with my B.A. degree, I do not have money for a teaching certificate online or to go back to school. I will appreciate help.

Petra0688 is offline   Reply With Quote