Help

Third Grade

Writing...1st 3 weeks of school

>

Ms. J

Writing...1st 3 weeks of school
Old 07-26-2017, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you start the year off in writing? Do you have any books and/or lessons you recommend to help with organization and paragraph structure before going into the different writing genres (opinion, narrative, etc)? TIA!

Ms. J is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Writing
Old 07-26-2017, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The best writing program I used while I was teaching was the one I used my last two years of teaching. I retired in June of 2016. It is called Empowering Writers. It is expensive but worth it in my opinion. It made me a better writer and a better writing teacher.

http://empoweringwriters.com/

I first took the narrative writing class years ago and loved it but did not do a good job of implementing it as it seemed overwhelming especially with everything the district wanted us to do as well.

Then I took the expository writing PD and loved it as well.

Finally years after the first class they had a class to help you learn how to follow the Essential Guide for your grade level. It is step by step with resources, examples and practice. I loved it. What really helped was our principal gave us permission to follow Empowering alone without doing what the district was asking us to do as well.

You could really see the writing skills improve. I had a hard time leaving those books at school. I wanted them for myself.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 07-29-2017, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm no longer in the classroom,but during the first couple weeks I had the students write me a letter. They had to include something they learned in 2nd grade, a bit about themselves, & what they wanted to learn in 3rd. This gave me a pretty good idea about skills they needed to work on.

Next, we made a list of topics they could write about.

Good luck!

A really good website is writingfix.org
jjwires is online now   Reply With Quote

smannes

Old 07-29-2017, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The first couple weeks we discuss topics we can write about, create heart maps, discuss and practice writing small moments, and build stamina. I like Empowering Writers as well. I've also used this on TPT and have liked it too. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...rative-1352644
smannes is offline   Reply With Quote