My First Classroom

>

MsKeepItCalm

My First Classroom
Old 07-26-2017, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi There Educators,

My name is Tatiana, but people call me Tati. I have recently obtained my
first teaching job(aside from being a teacher's assistant). I am super excited, yet terrified at the same time. I will be teaching the second grade! I have heard a lot of great things about this grade. I have had student teaching in Kindergarten & 5th. I also was a teachers assistant for PreK & 5th grade. Moreover, I am totally new to this grade. I so need help. My main focus right now is how to set up my classroom. What things should I put up? How should it be arranged? I so promise you all that I went to school I know I should know the answers to the above, yet I am clueless for the moment. I know many of my friends always talk about their themes and all that jazz when decorating / setting up their room. I am not much of a "theme" person I like clean, simple & age appropriate. Or should I have a theme? I dont know! Any feedback is totally welcomed & appreciated. I thank you in advance!

MsKeepItCalm is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs G

Congratulations!
Old 07-27-2017, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations!! Don't worry! Many of us feel similar to the way you do...year after year!
For setting up, start by googling around. Look for how the physical space can accommodate the schedule and traffic patterns in the room. Think about how the room will be used every day. Imagine being a 2nd grader and needing to get from the door to the closet to the desk...stuff like that. Will there be traffic jams or conflicts if your book area is hidden by a shelf?

My own opinion...Resist going pinterest crazy! You will see lots of rooms that are busy, busy, busy and "gorgeous" as far as decorating. Remind yourself that a classroom is for learning. The theme is second grade ;-) It should be neat and orderly with a place for everything but does not need to look like a magazine cover in order for students to thrive. It sounds like your gut is already telling you to keep it simple. Don't get peer pressured into buying 800 owl stickers!

Good luck! You're got this!
Mrs G is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 07-27-2017, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your "theme" can be as simple as a color scheme. Mine last year was a turquoise and lime green patterned bulletin board border. It's simple and the matching border around the room tied everything together. Your plan to keep it simple is a good one. Spend the majority of your time focussing on routines and procedures, classroom managementt, and lessons.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

campy

First year
Old 07-27-2017, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

keep it simple, you will have enough stuff too worry about. Find your favorite color and let it move you. STAY AWAY from pinterest, lovely site but it can suck hours out of your life
campy is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 07-27-2017, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is my 14th year and I still ask these questions.

Start small. Do what you can manage and envision for yourself. You will get so many ideas that you can be overwhelmed. I've never had classrooms big enough for separate stations. I have buckets and tubs on shelves and the stations get carried wherever around the room.

What's been important in my classroom has been a designated class library with area for the kids to sit and read, computer area, teacher table.

As for theme, you can just do colors....like primary colors or your favorite colors. My son's Kinder teacher's theme was lime green sprinkled with random frog decorations. Sometimes schools pick themes....changing every year gets expensive. Don't worry about a theme if it's not your thing.

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 07-28-2017, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You do NOT need a theme! Clean, simple, age-appropriate=perfect. You can always develop a theme at some future time, if you feel compelled.

As far as setting up, it depends somewhat on what is provided in your classroom (and what you have), and on what programs and philosophies you have, whether by your choice or mandated. So your friends and fellow teachers may be helpful with that (but ignore their themes).

You likely need a meeting area (mine was always in my classroom library area), and a table for small-group work. You want to think about flow--everyone moving easily around the room, and visibility--students need to be able to see the board and you, you need to always be able to see every student.

Good luck! I can sense your excitement. It will be great!
GlacierRose is offline   Reply With Quote

ThatDiva

Start with a color scheme
Old 07-30-2017, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've never had a theme. I like animal print so I found an animal print border and put up black paper. I left most of my bulletin boards blank with just the paper and border.

I would then focus on the whole group teaching area and desk arrangement.

Next, I would start with the classroom library to match your theme.

A theme, while cute, is not necessary. I'm going into my 9th year of teaching second grade, and you will love it. Just breathe and start small.
ThatDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Classroom
Old 07-31-2017, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Find out what's required too. One principal I had, had a long list.
You probably want an area for the calendar, reading in small groups, library, stations, word wall, rules/classroom management, schedule, ABCs, numbers, bulletin boards for math, topic of study and/or student work, anything else that your school and grade level does. Talk to your team members.
Have Fun! Second grade is the best.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

MsKeepItCalm

Thank you!
Old 08-04-2017, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I appreciate each and everyone of you that replied to my post! All of your feedback truly helped me and now I can breathe a tad bit easier. I think I will feel better once I start.

P.S. Oh and yes, I think I should totally stay away from pinterest for a while.
MsKeepItCalm is offline   Reply With Quote