Help

Classroom Management

Took away bathroom, was I wrong?

>

techteach1989

Took away bathroom, was I wrong?
Old 07-27-2017, 01:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

At the end of lunch break I always fetch the children, then allow 10 minutes for them to go to the bathroom. Last week one of the girls was being distributive on the way back to class, so I told her she was not going to the bathroom and would have to wait until hometime. She complained about how she was desperate, but I said that was her problem not mine, she waited 2 hours until home time

Was I wrong? Should I have let her go?

techteach1989 is offline   Reply With Quote

brownbear

Old 07-27-2017, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, especially when she asked to go later in the day.
brownbear is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-27-2017, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yep. Takin away the bathroom wasn't a great idea. A natural
consequence would have been moving her away so she couldn't cause a problem.

Live and learn and don't do it again.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-27-2017, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Were you wrong? Yes. Think of another way to help this student build responsibility.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

techteach1989

update
Old 07-27-2017, 11:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just to add the day before I had warned the class not to mess around before bathroom break or they would lose their chance

Lakeside

Old 07-28-2017, 01:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I wouldn't threaten that again.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 07-28-2017, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would take away recess (or part of) or have her walk through recess or stand on the wall, etc. before taking away bathroom privileges. Or, I would have her go to the end of the line, or have her walk with me in line, or come up with her own plan of how to behave in the hall.

Restricting bathroom access can become a hot button with parents.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

You lucked out...
Old 07-28-2017, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Where I live, Mama Bear would have first went to district office wanting your on a pike, started a sh*t storm on social media about what an insane, cruel person you were, might of actually called the principal and you'd be sailing under an 18 wheeler. (This happened to a teacher at my DD school).

You are so lucky this kid didn't poop or tinkle herself. Do you think Mama Bear would say, "Serves you right dear kid for being a knuckle head and losing your bathroom privileges." or do a big WTF on not letting a kid go to the restroom (after eating lunch) and nothing until school let's out?

I know this kid was probably a pain. It sounds like the whole class is squirrelly during line up. Going to the bathroom and acting a fool in line has nothing do do with each other. The parent will get angry because of no restroom access more than their kid was a jerk.

My DD had grade where there was a pregnant teacher who left after week three of the beginning of school year and three LT subs. The kids were out of control in line up.

The principal pulled all their recesses and had them practicing lining up until she was satisfied. Bonus round is she also had a cell phone and contact numbers. If kid PITA acted up, she would call the parent and have the kid tell them why a 9 year old was incapable of lining up quietly with the principal present.

One kid tried to call the principals bluff. The minute she started dialing, kid panicked and started crying, saying he could show her how he really could stand in line properly.

I think the class lost two days of recess. My district almost never pulls recess, but the principal said this was a safety issue.

I would seriously figure out another way to drop the hammer on line up shenanigans. If it's just this one kid, that would be little easier than x number of Squirrel Nutkins acting stupid.

Doesn't matter if you told them 2 hours before or 15 minute before. You probably can postpone restroom access for a little bit of time (after we are done doing x, you can go to the restroom). No way would I do 2 hours, even with a kid abusing restroom privileges. The fire storm on your head is so not worth it.

Good luck. It's no fun when line up is a zoo.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

kathy

Old 07-28-2017, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Agree with the others. Find something else.
kathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-28-2017, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree with the others as well. Definitely don't threaten that again. You are extremely lucky that the child didn't have an accident. Find another consequence.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

well, I would not
Old 07-28-2017, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

but don't beat yourself up about it now. It's done. Personally, I would never remove the restroom.

As a child, that would have made me need to go even more. And an accident would have put me over the edge...

And now as an adult, my restroom habits have WAY too much influence on my daily schedule and habits.

If a student has problems with the restroom, I might time it or structure it differently, have a different set of rules or supervision but I wouldn't deny it or delay by too long.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Hpylife

Old 07-30-2017, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would never use the bathroom break or recess as something that gets taken away. I'd find an alternate way such as an additional homework assignment or something along those lines.

I think that things like bathroom breaks and recess are just things students need and shouldn't be "used" against them as a consequence for behaviors. I also wouldn't say to a student that something is "her problem and not mine" --I feel strongly that it is our job to help kiddo's learn in a way that is respectful, and I feel that saying that to her isn't very mindful or helping her to grow and learn from her actions.

That being said, I don't do "bathroom breaks" as an entire class. It's just too much waiting and issues with behavior. The students are allowed to go during the morning before the bell, during any "down time " like after they finished a task, or during our brain break times. I do not allow any more than one student to go at any time. Never had any problems unless a child is sick and needs to use the bathroom more frequently.
Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote

techteach1989

Old 07-31-2017, 01:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I dont see why they should be allowed to go if they cannot behave?

I send them to the bathroom in groups of 3 girls and boys at a time. I let them go once in a morning and afternoon rest of the time I usually say no unless they have a note from the doctor

Mshope

Not a Hill to Die On
Old 07-31-2017, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I think you are missing the point. I think that 85% of the time my students who ask to use the restroom are just getting out of class. I think this because on days we are doing something more engaging like watching a movie, having a speaker or doing a debate, no one asks to leave. However, on drier days, one kid goes, they all want to go.

My thinking is that I don't want to cause someone to have an accident. If they ask to go at a bad time like direct instruction, I might ask, "Can you wait a minute?" if the student says, "No" then I tell them to go. I also tell my students on day 1 if they are sick or feel like they might have an accident, they need to just tell me and go to the bathroom. In twenty years, I've never had an issue with this.

We have had teachers tell kids that he or she could not use the br and the kid had an accident. Twice this went to the school board and newspaper. The teacher was blamed. The school was threatened with a lawsuit. I also think that sometimes a kid might just need a break. Our students have no recess and very little downtime throughout the day. Our curriculums are pretty dry and test score driven.

You will never "win" this battle. If you get called on not letting kids use the br, in this day and age, you will be blamed. Whether it is right or wrong is aside from the issue. You made a poor decision, I would not repeat it.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 08-01-2017, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I agree with PP. The last thing you want is for someone to have an accident. It is embarrassing for the student and awkward for the others. What grade is this? Not that it matters, but just curious.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-01-2017, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
I dont see why they should be allowed to go if they cannot behave?
Because eliminating waste is a basic biological need, not a privilege. It's not like allowing them to borrow your special markers or something.

You asked if you should have let the child go, and we pretty much all answered that yes, you should have.

Don't beat yourself up for making a mistake! - We've all made mistakes!! But try not to feel defensive, and don't make the same one again.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

@techteach1989
Old 08-01-2017, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

About if you warned them about yanking the restroom access, they screw around and now loss the access for about 2 hours, what's the big deal?

The craziest, most violent, throwing food trays and human waste, locked up for 23 hours a day prisoner still gets to use a toilet without a whole lot of restrictions. People have sued and won for companies restricting restroom use because it "slows down the line". If I remember right, a chicken processor told the workers to wear diapers if they couldn't hold it before lunch or after lunch until quiting time.

Lawyers would snatch up the inmate case, even though there aren't a lot of people boo booing that a psychopath was made to wait for X amount of time for acting up. It's a human right. Even people who hired in on for a job that is very fast paced, still have the right to use the restroom in a timely fashion. A lawyer took that case.

What lawyer would pass up a hacked off Mama Bear? There's no downside to case. Sympathetic defendant (kid). The district (knowing the direction of public opinion) would throw that teacher to the lions.

There are lots of ways to extract time back from a Squirrel Nutkin, without pulling potty breaks.
My frequent fliers became less frequent when they were acquainted with the joys of my huge Webster Dictionary. When everyone was doing fun stuff, Squirrel Nutkin was either..

Writing out a dictionary page in their best handwriting.
Drawing out the meaning of words on the page (about three more words, depending on the kid)
Some sort of cutting and pasting using the page.

(It was a junk library dictionary. I'd pull a whole page)

Believe me, the kids would rather walk the playground during recess, than see a dictionary page.

I'd take an old school swat with a speed paddle than spend 45 minutes writing. Also the elementary and middle school I went to pulled lunch (as in no lunch, you get no time to eat) and restroom breaks (as in hold it or wet yourself) for crap behavior and attitudes. It never really seemed to change anything. That was back in 1969-1978.

(Growing up, my middle school gave boys swats, and girls dictionary pages to write out as punishment. I think the boys got off easy. Lol)

I think there are other ways to get your point across (Charmer, quit wasting my time), than to put your job and reputation in jeopardy.

I cut a kid's lunch time early by 10 minutes, and nearly lost my job when I first started teaching. The kid had 40 minutes to eat and I pulled 10. Ugh. Never did that again.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

CoffeeQuills

Thanks for your question
Old 08-13-2017, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

It made me rethink how my room was set up. Now if the door is left open I can see the kiddos walk to the bathroom. Thank you for your question. It made me think.
CoffeeQuills is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Bathroom break
Old 08-14-2017, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I understand what you were trying to accomplish, but I believe you went about it the wrong way. Think about if you had let time get away from you but still needed to use the restroom and your principal told you to wait 2 hours, how much learning would you do in that time? Probably not much.

Next time, pull the young lady aside and tell her that she may use the restroom, but she will be docked 3 minutes for recess/going to lunch/need to stay after school for 2 minutes to wipe down tables......anything but taking away the need to void ourselves after lunch.
teabreak is online now   Reply With Quote