Help

Fifth Grade

Reading Logs...Yes or No???

>

AnEagerReader

Reading Logs...Yes or No???
Old 08-01-2017, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been traditional in using Reading Logs, but I can also see how it can be viewed as a chore for some children (and parents who are not around to sign them) and can discourage a love of Reading.

If you do Reading Logs, how do you keep your students interested in Reading. If you don't do Reading Logs, how else do you keep them accountable.

Thank you!

AnEagerReader is offline   Reply With Quote

Jip

Great Questions!
Old 08-02-2017, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I truly do not think that reading logs work. In fact, I think they discourage reading. I have used them for years (our school expects it), but I have also tried a semester without them and parents requested that they be brought back. Ugh! I am going to try running without them again this year. To combat this, I am going to do a daily Status of the Class. Hopefully thru individual conferencing, I can see who's really progressing and who's stalled. This is a difficult decision though, because some kids won't read without them. On the other hand, I see parents fabricating dates and times with their kids quickly in the cars before they drop them off, and question what that is teaching their child??? We'll see....stay tuned. Good luck with your decision. I'll be eager to hear what you try to do.
Jip is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-02-2017, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As a sub, I just collect them if I'm told to.

But in the "perfect classroom" in my head, I don't think I'd do written logs. Instead, I'd like to meet briefly with each child every week, and one of the things I'd talk about with them is the books they're reading.

(Yes, I know that's approximately five students a day, and I'd have to figure out what the others will be doing at the time...But I did say it's still just an idea.)
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-02-2017, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No reading logs . I agree that they do more harm than good. Readers resent them and non-readers often lie. Parents often lie!! It turns reading into a chore and destroys love of reading rather than creates it. It's often too time consuming to give meaningful feedback to each child especially when they don't read it often, so it turns into busy work.

Talking with your students about their books is the best way, imo, to get them excited about reading. I do whole class novels, small groups, and 40 book challenge (the book whisperer way - no rewards or punishments)

I loved the 40 book challenge when I had small classes. I struggle with it with a higher class, but I'm implementing Daily 5 this year and am hopeful this will work for me.

Quote:
in the "perfect classroom" in my head, I don't think I'd do written logs. Instead, I'd like to meet briefly with each child every week, and one of the things I'd talk about with them is the books they're reading.
That's basically what you do with Daily 5, but you can meet more than once a week.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Reading Logs...
Old 08-02-2017, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My DD loved to read up until 3rd grade when the reading logs started. After that it was a huge battle to make her crack open any book until she hit middle school. No reading logs there.

So..between 3 through 5 grade, I signed the logs. It was don't ask, dont tell.

DD reads above grade level, so that kept people off my back.

This whole situation just killed me because I spent my summers growing up.at the public library, and have books all over my house.

In my DD's head reading=school work, not enjoyment because of the logs. It turned into a huge chore. I guess if you need to learn the discipline to slog through things you hate doing, she sort of learned that. Getting the love of reading didn't factor into the equation, and she is absolutely not competitive. Winning a log goal meant nothing.

I figure 1/4 of the class is honest. You know who are the avid readers. 1/2 is a combo of creative log keeping, and Amazon book review readers. (I know parents who did this), and the last 1/4 has issues for whatever reason.

I think the logs are more hassle than they are worth.

Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Status of the Class
Old 08-02-2017, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't do reading logs. I think as adults we don't fill out reading logs, so asking our kids to fill them out takes away the joy of reading.

I actually do Status of the Class everyday as part of my reading lessons. Basically you really quickly go through the classroom and each student will tell you the book title (if it's new) or the page number of the book they are reading.

Here's some blogs about it:
http://youngteacherlove.com/status-of-class/

http://www.upperelementarysnapshots....status-of.html
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Reading logs
Old 08-02-2017, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We don't have reading logs but we do have a mandatory reading goal. The homeroom teacher pulls the scores from AR on Friday and computes the grades for the reading teacher. The goal is 40% of the grade.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

AnEagerReader

Old 08-02-2017, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you all so much for your input! I am leaning towards not doing them (as long as admin doesn't require them). I know another teacher had shard a monthly genre project from a book that was read. I may try that instead. We will see how it goes!

I really do enjoy reading everyone's opinion!

Groovy Gal

Reading Logs
Old 08-04-2017, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do not use reading logs for the reasons already mentioned, primarily it creates room for dishonesty. Sometimes I ask students to write in their planners how many pages they read, and I will check in with them and we have a brief discussion. I try to be encouraging about reading every day and telling them the more they read, the better they get at reading.
Students have so many distractions these days and unfortunately reading at home may not be one of them.
Groovy Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 08-04-2017, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like the monthly genre project idea. My class does a monthly book talk in front of the class... so about one or two students each day presents. They also post about the book on our class book blog (using the Kidblog.org website). Some kids even log in to comment on other posts. The nice thing about the site is that now that I have done it for a couple years now, my new class can view all of the book recommendations from previous years.

My class does keep a reading log slipped in the cover of their Home folder. Each morning as they come in they do their lunch choice and tell me what book they read previous night. It's not for a grade just as a check in.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by pausebutton; 08-04-2017 at 10:52 AM..
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieP

No,no,no!!!
Old 08-05-2017, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I battle the entire first semester getting kids to read who use to love reading until reading logs ruined it.....

I do a monthly genre project. Each month is a genre. They read a book with at least 100 pages and complete a project. The project each month is different.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

No
Old 08-05-2017, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I really don't like reading logs. I think they're largely useless, because avid readers find them tedious and those who don't read as much will probably grow to dislike it even more because of them.

I do the 40 book challenge, as has been mentioned. I've also done reading notebook responses, which I'm hoping to use again this year, though maybe not every week. I'm also planning to do conferences this year. I've done them in the past, but have struggled with consistency. I think the kids are going to read for the first 15 minutes of the day while I conference with 3 kids, one at a time. That's what works best with our schedule. There just isn't time during our ELA block because I need to meet with small groups. I have 32 kids, so I'll meet with each kid roughly every 2 weeks. Not ideal, but it's what works with a large class.

I've often thought about doing status of the class, but I've never seen it done with a large class like mine. I'm wondering if it would really work with over 30 kids. I just feel like it would take far too much time.
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Book Logs
Old 08-06-2017, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I tried them the last couple of years to use for Pizza Hut BookIt! accountability. Frankly, I am not planning on it this year. Rather I will have an incentive booklet (more private than a chart). Each time a child completes a book, they will come to me to put a sticker on their page. If they meet the monthly goal, they'll get the coupon.
I still plan on assigning nightly reading, but I don't plan on asking for "evidence."
I've heard a lot about book talks, too. A group of students briefly shows off their current book once a week. I'm looking into that more, because I think kids would be more interested in reading books recommended by their peers.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-06-2017, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I don't do logs either for previously mentioned reasons.

When I did 5th I had students do a weekly writing based on a book. They had a choice board for deciding what they wrote. WOrked pretty well for me. I had parents who needed/wanted something for reading homework.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 08-07-2017, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

NO for all the reasons listed. I just finished the book whisperer and she also is against reading logs for those same reasons.

I am going to let them have choice reading during the day and hope they continued to read at home because they like the book. I like the monthly genre project idea and I am going to have them do a weekly response in their reading journal that I will read and respond to.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn4Ever

Old 08-10-2017, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Status of the Class...I did this and liked it SOOOO much better than reading logs. You know a lot more about where they are and what they're reading than with reading logs that many times have been fabricated.
Learn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

AnEagerReader

Old 08-23-2017, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thank you for your feedback! I would like to know more about "Status of the Class." The genres projects and weekly responses also sound great!