Help

The Job Search

Interviews but no job

>

Sowkat

Interviews but no job
Old 08-02-2017, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am beyond bummed. Two years ago I got out of a district with a residency requirement so I could move and have been working at a private school, with my ultimate goal to get back into public.

I have had interviews where my references were checked and I still didn't get the job. Once because the superintendent didn't like that I had poor undergrad transcripts (from 20 years ago despite graduating with honors from grad school), one where they called my references and another person's, then I had a second interview and they didn't choose me. One recently where the principal told me that he liked me, but they had internal candidates.

So, I had an interview last week, I felt good about it or at least that some on the panel were on the same wavelength (but I've felt that way before) and they said that I would hear by this Friday. They mentioned that they would call references as part of the process, so I thought that was a good sign. My references are stellar and they said they would let me know if they got a call. It's been radio silence.

I am so frustrated and seriously thinking there is something wrong with my skills, how I conduct myself in the interviews...maybe I'm too eager? Too scattered? I'm thinking that I should do a mock interview with someone. Any other suggestions? I know my field (social work) is very limited in terms of job availability but I'm seriously feeling like there is an issue.

So bummed. ��

Sowkat is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-02-2017, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm sorry it's not working out so far. I think a mock interview is a great idea. If you know anyone in the field, I'd see if they'd be willing to put you through a mock interview. I'd also suggest asking for feedback from your prior interviews if it seems appropriate. If it's a really tight market it really might be that you just weren't the top person (but sounds like you got close).

But wait, you're supposed to hear by THIS Friday (2 days away)? If so, good luck to you! I hope you have good news to post soon.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sowkat

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2017, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the advice GraceKrispy! I did ask for feedback on the interview where they called my references before the second interview. It was helpful, as she said that at one point they asked a three part question and I did not answer all the parts. She also said that it just came down to an intangible "fit."

I do think that I get nervous in panel interviews and that I can get too "giddy" or hyper, especially as the interview goes on. But, I know I do make practical points amongst all the giddiness.

It is a tight market, unfortunately. The principal that said that there were internal candidates mentioned that I was 1 out of 124 applicants!

I will reach out to a colleague and do a mock interview.

And yes, it's not Friday yet but I've felt super let down over and over I can't let myself hope, honestly. I also feel like if they were reaching out to my references they would have called by now. School starts in 3 weeks, so I'm sure they want to rush it.

Thanks again GraceKrispy!

Last edited by Sowkat; 08-02-2017 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Added detail

Sowkat

Old 08-03-2017, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just got a call. They went with another candidate.

TrulyGretel

interview questions
Old 08-03-2017, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I sometimes have asked for a copy of the interview questions. I'm a visual learner. It is hard to answer a question that has many parts. Or if a copy is not provided, jot down the question in short hand as they ask you. I've never had a principal ever not provide me a copy when I ask and they appear happy to do so. I think this method is way better then having to say, "What was the question"?, halfway into your response.

TrulyGretel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sowkat

Old 08-03-2017, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What a GREAT idea TrulyGretel! I will do that! Thanks!!!!

Bigfoot

Ahh too bad
Old 08-04-2017, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It is truly difficult to find a job sometimes. Good luck, you will find the right fit.
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Social worker
Old 08-04-2017, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Have you applied to any social work positions outside of schools? I see different kinds jobs for social workers.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Sowkat

Old 08-17-2017, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi Tounces! I don't apply for non-school social work jobs because the dip in pay would be too great for my family. Community mental health jobs pay a lot less, 10s of thousands less, than School Social Work jobs. Thus the popularity of a school social work certification, plus there being 1 social worker per school typically = too many school social workers in the field for the number of jobs.

But, good suggestion, that does seem practical. I also love school social work, working to support everyone in the school community. I like the immediacy of it, the in-the-moment, in-the-environment type of work as opposed to private practice or agency work, where you have scheduled clients who come and go.

Anyway, I'm still trying!
joblessinMo

joblessinMo

I know how you feel
Old 08-26-2017, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This has been the definition of my summer! few interviews, no job

elvanhoose

You got this! Don't give up!
Old 10-11-2017, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I completely know how you feel. I am still trying to land a teaching job but so far I have only received a couple of interviews but nothing much beyond that. It's disappointing and disheartening for sure, but you cannot allow not getting the job to overshadow all of your hard work and commitment to education by becoming a licensed educator. Keep at it!
elvanhoose is offline   Reply With Quote