Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

spelling homework

>

dusty

spelling homework
Old 08-02-2017, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking to find out what teachers in grades 1 or 2 usually send home for spelling homework, in regards to the spelling words for the week. Last year, we sent home the spelling words on monday (6 phonics words and 4 sight words) and every Monday students took home a homework sheet in which they had to write each word 3 times and then some kind of practice page on the back (Ex; fill in the blank sentences, sorting spelling words). I'm thinking of trying something different for spelling homework because 1. my first graders, and their parents, never seemed very happy about writing the words 3 times, and 2. I'm not really sure that writing the words 3 times is really helping them at all.
Please let me know what you usually send home for spelling homework, whether it is writing the words three times or something different.
thank you

dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Homework
Old 08-02-2017, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We send home a weekly homework pack on Mondays to be returned on Fridays. The first page is a list of our spelling words to be tested on Friday. Families decide how they want to study/practice the words on their own schedule. I've attached an example.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Unit 2 Week 3.docx (12.8 KB, 67 views)
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Spelling homework
Old 08-03-2017, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First grade 10 words (6 new skill, 2 HFW, 2 from previous list): Monday write words 2 times, Tuesday put words in ABC order, Wednesday write 5 of the words in sentences. Thursday study for quiz on Friday.

We encourage spelling activities on spellingcity.com to be done at home

This homework helps with handwriting practice too.

I modify for struggling kids as needed.

We do a pretest on Monday to see which list kids are given.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 08-03-2017, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my first grade class, I use spelling sorts from the Words their Way series. The class is divided up into different groups depending on their literacy skills. Most students use the Letter Name or Within Word Book. I send home a list of the words for families to review how they wish (but don't require it). We do a lot of review in the classroom as a part of our morning work routine and centers. I also put the list on spellingcity.com so students have the option of playing the games to review at home. We have an assessment every other Friday.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote
fran123

fran123

homework
Old 08-11-2017, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We just had this same conversation as a staff. We use Words Their Way and used to send home the sorts with a menu of different sorts/games for kids to choose from each night. Ultimately, with lots of feedback from parents and kids, we decided that this was having no measurable impact on student's spelling skills and was just busy work/waste of paper. Plus, parents aren't trained teachers and don't really know how to have meaningful conversations about why click ends in -ck and not -k.

So...we decided that we would keep the word study practice to school and send home only our weekly high-frequency words for homework. This is something parents feel comfortable helping the kids with and actually does help the kids! The kids have a "Snap Word Menu" in their Homework Folders that give parents different ideas on how to practice them.

Now, if a kid is really struggling with spelling, we usually meet with parents and "train" them how to help their kids. Many of them are used to telling their kids "Write each word 5 times." so we try to equip them with strategies like "stretch the word" and tools like Elkonin boxes. But, because we use Words Their Way, each kids gets words at their own level so kids don't struggle too much.

dusty

Fran123
Old 08-11-2017, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi Fran, thanks for the reply. I was wondering if you could list some examples from your "snap word menu". I'm thinking, like you, that it might be better to just send home a homework assignment focused on the sight words but i'm not really sure what to send home.
thanks
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote