Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Kindergarten literary stations

>

Kdgranger

Kindergarten literary stations
Old 08-04-2017, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Would anyone be willing to share how they run their literacy stations? My rotations are meet with teacher, seat work, iPads, and word work. I'm looking at ways to improve upon mine. Thanks in advance!

Kdgranger is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 08-04-2017, 09:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do a modified version of Daily 5. There are 3 15-20 minute rounds. The choices are: Word Work, Work on Writing, Listen to Reading (iPads using QRcodes, Pebble Go Site...individual CD players/Books with CDs), Read to Self, Read to a Buddy, iPads (apps-Discovery Clubhouse which is part of our phonics program, phonics apps, sight word apps,...) and Meet with the Teacher.

We start out slow. I follow the Daily 5 suggestions for establishing routines/procedures and building stamina. Introduce one thing. Model, model, model. Practice, practice, practice. It takes time in the beginning, but it is worth the effort because the students are able to work independently so I can work with individual students/small groups.

I don't strictly do Daily 5 because I have bought/made literacy centers over the years so I added those activities into my Word Work, Work on Writing...
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-05-2017, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do a must-do, may-do format. At the beginning of the year students have one must-do activity per day, and then can move on. One group is with a teacher, one with a parent volunteer, and the rest are independent (usually ipads and some kind of alphabet or word work). I only see kids once a week at the beginning. We spend about 30 minutes.

After winter break they have 2-3 must-do activities per week. I pull 3-4 groups per day and have a parent running a group as well. We spend about 45-60 minutes.

I've tried doing multiple rotations but it just doesn't work for me.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kdgranger

Old 08-09-2017, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

@iteachk2010 Thank you! I will check more into Daily 5....everyone seems to like it.

Thank you @Sbkangas5! I appreciate your help.

Last edited by Kdgranger; 08-09-2017 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Added more to reply.
Kdgranger is offline   Reply With Quote