-hacks for setupo/organization
-differentiation
-engagement

Thanks!

sunaustin is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 08-06-2017, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I will be watching this thread! We are using Bridges for the 1st time this year. We have 2 days of PD. If I learn any helpful tips, I'll come back and share them!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

sunaustin

stay in touch
Old 08-07-2017, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach in Bogota, Colombia. Let's compare notes as we go....
sunaustin is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 08-07-2017, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Day 1 of PD complete and I didn't garner much information, other than the importance of questioning...which I already knew.

No organizational hack tricks, etc. The differentiation sounds weak, thus far, but it's early in the ballgame.

I'll see what tomorrow brings!

grav_def

Old 08-16-2017, 11:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This will be my fourth year doing Bridges, and I still feel like I'm barely holding it together re: organization! Having the big blue box of workplaces files set up the way they recommend really helps. I inherited mine from the person who had my classroom before me, but the instructions on how to do it are in the Getting Started guidebook and I think it's worth the time to do it now for the sake of your sanity later.

I have two of those shelves that fit plastic bins on them (do you know what I'm talking about?); most of the manipulatives fit there, and I just rotate them in and out as needed. It works reasonably well.

If you're making your own dice, I'd choose a color for each kind--you have to have 0-5, 1-6 with numbers, 1-6 with dots, 4-9, 6-10, etc etc etc. I did not cool code mine, and I really wish I had! Also think about how to store them all. A toolbox with all the little drawers would be ideal, but mine are just in baggies for the time being.

Differentiation is tough with Bridges; it's really not built in. I pull small groups during workplaces time--usually but not only the low kids.

Engagement hasn't been too big of a problem. They LOVE all the game playing whole group (I almost always do those teacher vs student, even when the book says to split the class into teams or something).

I have the hardest time with assessments in Bridges. They are really not related to standards in any way, and half the time they're not even really aligned with what you're teaching. If you've still got the assessments from your old curriculum, I'd recommend hanging on to them.

I don't feel like an expert on this yet, but I'll do my best with any other questions you have.

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 08-18-2017, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

grav_def~ Whoa! Don't I "know" you? Are you back after a long hiatus or have I just not seen you around? Regardless, "Hello!"

Thanks for your help thus far.

I am just on the first module. 3 lessons in. Many of my kids got bored during the beetle glyph sorting, Venn diagram bit. I thought it would be more engaging to them, but it wasn't. I even tried to make it more engaging by pretending we were entomologists who had discovered a new species of beetles and it was our job to sort and classify them...

I am VERY glad to hear you pull differentiated groups during workplaces. I have some really high kids!

When you differentiate...do you do so using other resources outside of Bridges?

I'm sure I'll have more questions. So far, it doesn't seem overwhelming...fingers crossed it stays that way!

grav_def

Old 08-22-2017, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi, Eliza! Yeah, I used to post a lot, but haven't been around lately. Thanks for remembering me!

My kids always find that Venn diagram lesson really easy. It's presented like they've never seen one before, but mine always have. Other lessons are the opposite: it's presented as a quick review, but no one's ever seen anything like it. By year 3 I just kind of knew how to adjust the schedule. And as far as it being boring...yeah, a lot of lessons are, as written. Again, you figure out what needs adjusting.

I've been much happier since I stopped caring about growing patterns (which is not a CCSS) and started thinking of unit 1 as a way of establishing routines.

As far as differentiation, yes, I use whatever I can get my hands on. I spend most of that time with the really low kids, generally trying to get them some kind of automaticity with basic facts, so we play a lot of games like guessing how many beans are hidden, make 10 go fish, etc. I'm strongly discouraged from doing anything that will step on 3rd grade's toes, making it hard to push my high kids as much as I'd like. Often I just ask them to do things like come up with another way to solve the problem, or sometimes come up with their own problem (and then try to get them to understand why 4000+2000 is not actually a "hard problem").

grav_def

Old 08-22-2017, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Oh, and if you do a BTS night in the first few weeks, I post the beetles with a key and have parents try to find their child's. They seem to enjoy it.

eliza4one

Old 08-22-2017, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks, grav_def!

I appreciate the help so far! That is a great BTS activity!

I will have to find a way to differentiate for my high kids. My parents of those students will demand it. Ack. I'll figure something out! Kind of like you said...take what they know and help them see how it will help them solve larger problems. Luckily, 3rd grade doesn't mind if we push them, as it is just the culture of our parent population. 3rd has to push up to 4th, etc.

I'll pm you/post if I have any other questions. I've never had to FOLLOW a curriculum before, so it's going to be tough.

Welcome back, btw!