National Board Certification

What to do? 1 year or 2?

>

mehteacher

mehteacher

What to do? 1 year or 2?
Old 08-06-2017, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have registered for NB but have not purchased any components yet although I have written out ideas for the components and have started some planning, I wanted to hear some advice on if it would be to much to do NB in 1 year or not. I know it is a personal preference, however I am having trouble deciding. I feel like I do not was to spread the stress out over 2 years and would rather work hard and get it done in one year, just not sure if that is manageable and would love some advice. Thank you.

NBCoach

Old 08-06-2017, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have any statistics, but based on my experience with this new process and the ability to choose one's time-frame, I'd guess that about 1/3 of new candidates are choosing to complete all 4 parts in one year; 2/3 decide to do it in two years. That's just a guesstimate on my part.

I advise most candidates to take 2 years to do the process because the time-management aspect is SO much easier. it mostly boils down to how much time one has to devote to the NB work. You can plan on at least 200 hours, maybe more to do all 4 parts. If you do it all in one year, you've got to work steadily, every day, every week, every weekend all school year. You've got to start early in the year and not procrastinate. So a lot depends on your work style, organizational habits, and family commitments.

Take realistic stock of how much time you can really devote week in and week out, then make your decision. Good Luck!
NBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 08-06-2017, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

NBCoach gives good advice (as always!).

I didn't have a choice because I am the first generation under the new process. But, I have two young teens at home. If I were to start this year, I would take two years. C1, C2 & C4 this year and then (depending on my scores) re-take C1 and C3 next year.

Best luck to you and come back to this board when you start!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

teachingtall

Old 08-06-2017, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

i did it in 2 years, and i preferred it to doing it all in one year. C4 was not out when I started, so I just did C2 & C1 year 1 and C3 & C4 year 2. If I were to do it all over again, I would do C1 & C4 year 1, and C2 & C3 year 2.
teachingtall is offline   Reply With Quote

tampamom

Old 08-06-2017, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm up for renewal this year so i know things have changed, but one year was ALOT of work...2 years seems more managable.

tampamom is offline   Reply With Quote
AYA Science

AYA Science

It depends on your life outside of school
Old 08-07-2017, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did it in 2 years because C4 was not available my first year. I took C1 and C2 last year, and then C3 and C4 this past cycle (I also re-took two parts of C1). I think it is possible to complete in one year, depending upon your life and commitments both at school and outside of school. If you have children, I would suggest two years. If you can work most weekends on NBs, one year is doable. As others have said, getting a jump on it before school starts is critical. If you stay focused and maintain a schedule/timeline for yourself, it can be done. Video yourself often- it helped me in so many ways, not just with C3.
mehteacher

mehteacher

Thank you
Old 08-07-2017, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you all for the advice. I am single with no kids as this time so that is why I was thinking one year. I will take all of your advice and consider what to do. Thank again!

ml5355

Take as much time as you can!
Old 08-07-2017, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I started the process the year it got changed, so I took three years to complete it. I would encourage people to take AT LEAST two years, and if possible even a third. I found C4 extremely difficult, and my experience doing component 2 helped me understand what to do for components 3 and 4. For me, components 1 and 3 were the easiest. When I did components 1 and 2 I was single, but then I moved in with my boyfriend and his two kids and so I had to do 3 and 4 while taking care of children. I would not want to put that level of stress onto anyone.
ml5355 is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 08-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I did all 4 components last year. I figured "I'd rather work hard and get it done in one year" like you said. It really was a lot of work, but now I'm very glad I got it over with!

One thing to consider (I skimmed other responses but didn't read all of them so sorry if this was already said) is that you have until January to register for components, so you could mentally plan to do all 4 and then wait to purchase components and decide not to do one if it seems like too much. Since C4 wasn't released until November last year, I didn't fully commit myself to doing that one until December. If you were going to hold off on starting one, I wouldn't recommend trying to do C4 in half a school year, but you could start C2 or C3 (at least in my area of certification) at that point and be fine.
WGReading is online now   Reply With Quote