Advice & Guidance: my 4 year degree is not in education--career change - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Future Teachers

Advice & Guidance: my 4 year degree is not in education--career change

>

Pilot2teacher

Advice & Guidance: my 4 year degree is not in education--career change
Old 08-07-2017, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello:

I am 46 years old and have been a pilot for a major airline and flown all over the world for the last 20 years.

I have saved well and even though I could retire modestly I do not want to.

My 4 year bachelors degree is in professional aviation--not education.

I would like to know which states I could teach general subjects in junior high or high school in with that degree and maybe some additional certification.

I speak Spanish fluently and I could get a degree in it for teaching but I would rather do that online because I really want a job where I can coach football too

Thank you in advance.

Pilot2teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 08-07-2017, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Where do you live? There's a program in my area that leads to teaching certifications in VT or NH for people who have a bachelor's degree. It is an excellent program that requires a full year of practice teaching. You can complete the program in a year. There is some course work in addition to the practice teaching. If you would like to know more, I can PM you.

Not sure what you mean by "general subjects". Most high school and junior high certifications are subject specific. States might look to see how many credits you have in specific subjects to see if you qualify for a certificate in a particular subject. You will also need to pass subject specific tests to qualify for certification.

Last edited by lisa53; 08-07-2017 at 02:23 PM..
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

markm

Old 09-25-2017, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Spanish is a great certification. Big shortage of Spanish teachers everywhere. In some states you might only need a praxis kind of license. ESL cert is great too.
markm is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 10-14-2017, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It looks like there are some High Schools out there that focus on Aviation.
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote
RS312

RS312

Old 10-28-2017, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You can work right now as a substitute teacher in Texas with any bachelor's degree. It is probably the same where you live, check with your state's education agency. Also, if you want to be a certified teacher, there are programs available in your state that are approved through your state's education agency so that would be the first place check. Good luck on your new endeavors.