Help

The Job Search

At Long Last!! (But also such BS)

>

MrsPhysics

At Long Last!! (But also such BS)
Old 08-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been looking for a contracted teaching job at a public school for 5.5 years. During that time, I have applied to hundreds of jobs in several counties in a tough Western PA job market. I have highly sought-after certifications (Math 7-12, Physics 7-12, Business Computers Info Tech K-12) and I have been fully employed as Long-term substitutes and in parochial school, gaining 5.5 years experience with grades 6-12 in math, physics, and programming. I have taught 2 AP classes and was trained for a third, and this past year 100% of my students got 4s and 5s. No school that I have ever worked for, including my student teaching, as ever had a job open up that matches any of my certs. I have had literally over 100 interviews (20 per summer would be a very conservative estimate if we include each round) and have frequently been the runner up for jobs.

I decided that this summer would be my last to look for a teaching job, and I started training for a career change. Literally my very last opportunity for a job began the interview process this week. There were supposed to be 4 rounds of interviews, and I was hired during the 2nd round, without even doing a demo lesson. I never saw another person interviewing. I am so extremely excited and grateful!

You know what made this different? This is the first time I have ever had a real connection at a school district. That's it. This connection has never seen me teach and doesn't even know me personally except that she has hired me for substitute positions in other districts before moving to this one. I'm sorry, but this is complete BS! This is not how it should be! I know that I deserve this job, but I am so angry that this is how the system works.

So for those of you looking for a job. I am very, very happy that I didn't give up. However I will very cynically tell you that I now believe that who you know is the ONLY thing that matters when looking for a job, at least here in western PA.

MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote

PeaceLoveRun

Crazy
Old 08-09-2017, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have three large districts in my town. My home district, where my son goes, is one of the top 10 scoring districts in the nation. It's very, very hard to get a job there. Most of the positions are filled before they even hit the job listings. I applied for every. single. posting. they had that I was qualified for. I received the same generic thanks-but-no-thanks email rejection for every. single. one. Never had an interview for them. So the next district, far end of town, growing at an astronomical rate, invites me to a group interview, which I rock, and I'm invited back for a demo lesson, that no one ever calls to schedule. The last district, 2nd largest district in the entire state, is posting news stories about how they are hurting for teachers, teacher shortage, hiring out of the area, yadda, yadda. I did the same screening interview 3 times before they invited me back for the "second" interview. This was over the course of 4 months. By then I had already received another job. One that I only interviewed once, was offered the job less than a week later. The entire process is crazy. Know that it's not just in PA, but where I live, the entire state is spouting about this so-called teacher shortage, but from what I can tell of the process, that may just be fabricated for the news.

Congratulations on your new job!!! Let the fun begin!!
PeaceLoveRun is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

Also
Old 10-03-2017, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm also from Western PA and I've noticed the exact same thing! I'm currently at a private school because I didn't have any personal connections at any public schools and I could barely get interviews.

I have a 7-12 math cert, years of tutoring, graduated top of my high school class, graduated cum laude in college, and taught for 2 years in DC before moving back to Western PA.

I'm glad that it wasn't just me. I feel like in college I was told that if i had a math certification and did well in my student teaching, that a job would just happen! And that has NOT been the case at all. I feel more validated.
NerdTeach is online now   Reply With Quote