Help

ESL/LEP

Tips for Tutoring ESL

>

Trinia2

Tips for Tutoring ESL
Old 08-09-2017, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I taught regular elementary ed for 35 years. I am retired and would like to tutor my daughter-in-law from Brazil who has been in the country for two years. I feel her English is pretty good, but it needs to be improved for her job. What is the difference between ESL and ESOL classes? She feels she is above ESOL classes and feels she would progress more with consistent biweekly tutoring. Her vocabulary is pretty good. She gets her pronouns mixed up. Pronunciation needs improvement. I told her to read even magazine articles as she can't focus with ADD. Any books that might help me tutor her? Or any suggestions as to where to begin? I haven't a clue!!And she really wants the help so badly. I knew where to come!! Thanks!!!

Trinia2 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Some resources
Old 08-11-2017, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like this for general info and some lessons:
http://www.colorincolorado.org
don't let the Spanish title mislead you, the principles are for every English Language Learner.
I know Brazilians speak Portuguese.

https://www.wida.us
a site to explore, some require sign-in but other areas do not.

http://www.esl-galaxy.com/adults.html
this has some supports for adults

I'd explore the results of some searches for Adult ESL resources.

There are high/low (I think they were called) articles with high information and low reading skills that might be a jumping off point for discussion.

I'd think that you both reading an article together that is of interest to her and discussing it would be a good lesson focus. As you know, background knowledge is key to reading comprehension so you might preview some difficult vocabulary before reading. I'd also focus on one element--pronouns or a particularly difficult sound--at a time.

This might give you a jumping off place:
http://esl.fis.edu/grammar/langdiff/portuguese.htm

I'm not an ESL teacher but did have lots of second language learners and see that you haven't gotten any responses yet so I'm jumping in. I hope something in here is helpful.

You know how to structure lessons and give support. I'd think the close relationship will make lessons both easier and harder at times. She's got a great resource in you.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Trinia2

Thank You, Broomrider!
Old 08-12-2017, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Broomrider, thank you so much! You have given me a wealth of information; I truly appreciate it! She is highly motivated. It's been seven years since retirement, and I am feeling a little overwhelmed, but now I have some ideas. Again, thanks!!
Suggestion

Suggestion

iPad Apps
Old 09-28-2017, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you are still looking for ideas, here are two iPad apps that I think would be quite useful. These flashcard apps are especially good because they provide an audio voice that will read the words or sentences and provide a good model for your daughter-in-law to imitate. it's just a matter of practice and repetition with a proper model.

The first app is Flashcards+ by Chegg and the second one is Quizlet - both are free!

Trinia2

Thank You, Guest!
Old 09-30-2017, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, Guest, I am still working with her. TY for those app suggestions. This is all brand new to me but is going well!