Help

Kindergarten

Homework

>

Kdgranger

Homework
Old 08-09-2017, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you send homework home with your kinders? If so what do you assign? I have done monthly packets and weekly work. I have considered reading logs and choice boards. What is everyone's opinion?

Kdgranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv2tchkdz

Old 08-09-2017, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At my 1st kinder job we sent homeweekly packets. I didnt like that so much, but that was the program so I got with it. I spent a lot of time creating my own homework, searching for appropriate worksheets and trying to differentiate and staring at the copy machine every week. The "homework" they gave us was often hard for parents to understand. It was a mess on so many levels.

At my 2nd school the head of our grade level was strictly against homework except for reading and a reading journal. I felt like it wasn't enough, 1/2 way through the year I ended up sending home sightword pocketfolders I modeled after the blog below and I created a "taking it deeper" sheet with one higher level question about any book they read for parents to complete with their student, since they were "supposed" to be reading with or listening to them read for 20 minutes everyday.
http://www.teachingwheart.com/2015/1...ccess.html?m=1

Overall, I think a little targeted is okay but not a lot. I have to say that many of my first year students that did do their homework who needed extra practice seemed to benefit from the homework. This past year's students in the same boat, didn't improve as much as the previous year. I don't like big packets, but some parents love them and feel like they need them and I had many parents nervous because they wanted "homework." My principal mentioned it in one of our grade level meetings. I think things may change.
Luv2tchkdz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-09-2017, 11:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I send weekly packets because my whole team does, but I really dont believe in homework for kinders (or any primary students). I think after a day of school kids just need to play and be kids.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 08-10-2017, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have always sent home weekly HW packets. My aide and I spent a ton of time (and resources) differentiating for each student and then checking the packets back in, etc.

I have come to realize the kids who need it, don't do it and those who don't need it, complete them reliably. That's a waste.

My grade level is going HW-free this year and I am THRILLED! We will send home suggestions of developmentally-appropriate ideas each month: take a walk and count mailboxes, play Uno, bake muffins, that sort of thing.

I agree 100% with Sbkangas:
Quote:
I think after a day of school kids just need to play and be kids.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

StellaBulldog

Old 08-10-2017, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We send home weekly packets and we emphasize to the parents that they really should be spending no more than ten minutes a night on it. I am not a big believer in homework for kindergarten students but the district makes us do it. I have had parents come up to me at the beginning of the year and say their child will not be turning in homework because they don't agree with the practice or a similar reason they give me and I just smile and thank them for telling me since I agree.

Quote:
I have come to realize the kids who need it, don't do it and those who don't need it, complete them reliably.
This!

Quote:
My grade level is going HW-free this year and I am THRILLED! We will send home suggestions of developmentally-appropriate ideas each month: take a walk and count mailboxes, play Uno, bake muffins, that sort of thing.
Would love to do this.

StellaBulldog is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 08-11-2017, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Stella, I took the idea to our Instructional Council. I asked for our whole school to go HW-free. I knew that wouldn't happen. I always ask for the moon, when really all I want is a star. It works!

I am so happy.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 08-22-2017, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am very firmly anti-homework. I only send homework because I am required to do it. I have a packed of poems/nursery rhymes/songs that have differentiated activities to help families work on letters, phonemic awareness, and beginning reading skills. We also have to have a reading log. Again, I am anti-reading log. I think it sucks the fun out of reading.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Welp....
Old 08-23-2017, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The problem is the drill and kill parents already have their kids doing Khan Academy or Kumon, and the homework packet is meaningless.

The other camp is blotting up the coffee with it.

My DD was in 1/2 day kindergarten and sent stuff home every night. We fought tooth and nail every night. She was tired by the end of the day. I had eventually wake her up 45 minutes earlier just to get the stuff done. And yes, all of it "counted", so we had to do it.

Personally, I don't think it helped any except for learning to hate work sheets.

She didn't mind doing the handwriting sheets, though.

Other thing is parents wind up teaching their kid old school. You get the joy to reteach them the right way.

#TeamNoHomeworkForLittles
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote