Help

Third Grade

First Day

>

teachgrade3

First Day
Old 08-10-2017, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good ideas for the first day besides reading First Day Jitters and playing a bingo game? Thank you!

teachgrade3 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

First Day
Old 08-10-2017, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about a math about me work sheet. it is a nice warm up to working with numbers again. You will need some measuring tapes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MathaboutMe.pdf (169.6 KB, 66 views)
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Read "Everybody Needs a Rock"
Old 08-10-2017, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

by Bard Baylor. It is a short picture book. Then go on a rock hunt in the school yard. Don't worry, one of the rules is the rock should fit easily in your hand.

When you return to the classroom talk about how each rock is unique and different from the others.

Then have each student write their initials on their rock with a permanent marker.

Collect their rocks in a clear plastic bowl. You can get the bowl at the dollar store.

Take a few seconds to arrange them nicely in the bowl so they look good. Then tell your students the rocks in the bowl represent them in their new classroom. Each child is unique just like their rock. Also that just like the rocks look pretty altogether their group of classmates looks good together. They will be classmates all year and need to act like a team just like the rocks compliment one another in the bowl. Then give the bowl a special place in the classroom where everyone can see them.

At the end of the school year read the story again and give them their rocks back.

SusanTeach

Chrysanthemum
Old 08-10-2017, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1. I read the book Chrysanthemum. Beforehand, I give them each a small red heart cut from the Ellison machine (bulletin board paper). As I read the book, they'll wrinkle it everytime the mouse gets hurt (someone says something ugly), and they'll flatten it out when someone says something encouraging (usually the parents). Then glue it on paper with the below poem as a reminder to be careful about our words and how the heart was better after good words, but the "scars" are still there from the ugly ones.

Before you speak,
think and be smart.
It's hard to fix,
a broken heart.

2. "Save Fred" - you can find it online. It's a good way to go over cooperative group rules and expectations.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Frog Medicine
Old 08-10-2017, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

By Mark Teague is a cute book about not doing your homework.

jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Poem for first day?
Old 08-10-2017, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=93448

Ally

Old 08-10-2017, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I sometimes play a BINGO type game with summer activities listed in each square and the kids walk around and talk to one another and try to fill in a different name in each square.

Things like: "Find someone who..." Rode a bike, visited a park, had a sleepover, jumped on a trampoline, visited a relative, traveled by plane
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Wordsearch
Old 08-11-2017, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I always make a word search using the names of my new students.

Be sure to list the names on the sheet...one year I forgot to do that...really threw my new third graders into a panic...but also showed them that teachers make mistakes just like they do.

I never completely finish this word search until the morning school begins or the day before school begins. Class lists can change so quickly!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Word Search Classmate Names.doc (58.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by ConnieWI; 08-11-2017 at 05:37 AM..
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Me in a Bag
Old 08-11-2017, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Me in a Bag

What is the paper sack for? Is it to blow up and pop? Is it to make a cute puppet? No, indeed! It's to fill with clues about a special person, YOU!

Find five objects that represent you, things you like to do, or things you're good at. Carefully fold the top of the bag down exactly twice, but don't label it. We want everyone's bag to look exactly the same. On Monday, we will put all the bags in a pile. Throughout the week I will pick one, take out the items one by one, and let the class try to guess what each item represents and who the “Mystery Person” might be!

Have fun!

This is the note I send home for this activity. I give each child a paper lunch bag.

On the first day, I show them what is inside my lunch bag. I usually include a picture of my family, a golf ball, etc. As I take each item from the bag, I tell them a little bit about myself.

This activity can be changed so that students do put their names on the bag. Then what is in the bag can be explained by that person as that child takes one item at a time from the bag.

ConnieWI

Friendship Salad
Old 08-11-2017, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This is an idea I "borrowed" from ProTeacher. Thanks to the person who posted it many years ago.

Friendship Salad
This is a great lesson to teach during the first week of school when the kids are learning about room rules and manners!

Items Needed:
Very Large Bowl
Large Mixing Spoon
paper plates or bowls
plastic spoons
Several cans of fruit (a variety is good)
Marshmallows
Yogurt
1 very old and rotten banana

I explain to the kids that the big bowl is like our classroom and that there are many important things that our room needs, especially good friends and happy days at school.

Add one can of fruit...."These are the kind kids in our room."(You can elaborate....they help each other at school, and wait their turn in line...)

Add another can of fruit..."These are the hard workers in our room" (..they get their work done and always try their best, even when work gets hard!)

Add another can of fruit..."These are the kids who share" (...they know how to share their supplies, and they share the toys at center time....)

Add some marshmallows..."These are the kind words being said in our room." (...words like please and thank you, and I'm sorry, when someone gets hurt...)

Add the yogurt...."This is the happiness we feel when we are at school." (...when we laugh, when we learn, when we have treats, and when we get to play at recess....)

Talk about the yummy friendship salad, how good it will tasted and then pretend to begin to peel the rotten banana. The kids have always yelled "Stop!!!" before I even get the banana peeled. I tell them that this is the Rotten Banana that could cause trouble in our happy classroom. This might be a banana that calls names, does not share, refuses to do school work, etc... We all vote NOT to put the rotten banana in our Friendship Salad.

This is your opportunity to talk with the children about why the children do not want this banana in their friendship salad AND how to make the connection with them about the importance of following rules and having good manners. It is fun to hear the children say throughout the year, "We don't want any rotten bananas in here!" or "Don't act like that or you'll be like a Rotten Banana."

ConnieWI

Numbers in Our Lives
Old 08-11-2017, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Page 1 of the attachment is an example about the teacher. (The kids love doing this activity and learning more about their teacher.)

Page 2 of the attachment is where students write their own questions and answers. I run page 1 and page 2 back-to-back. (Before doing this page, you might want to brainstorm with your class a list of places where numbers are found in lives...age, house/apartment number, number of siblings, number of Lego blocks, zip code, etc. This will help students who have trouble writing their questions.)

Pages 3 and 4 of the attachment are the pages about two students that I typed. During the month, students complete one of these per day. The name of the student is not on the typed sheet. Students complete it and then guess to whom these numbers might belong.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Numbers in Our Lives.doc (38.0 KB, 41 views)

ConnieWI

Back-to-School Reader's Theater Poetry
Old 08-11-2017, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

See the attachment.

Students practice these poems for a few days, and then a few each day are presented to the class.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Reader's Theater Poetry.doc (80.5 KB, 28 views)

WordFountain

Silly Q
Old 08-11-2017, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I like the word search.... silly question How did you do this in Word? Is it using a table? TIA
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Yes...
Old 08-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I used a table to make the word search.

I think if you save it to your computer, you can highlight and delete (a little at a time) the letters and names already there. If you delete all the letters and names at once, it will also delete the tables.

It will become blank of letters and names, and you can use the table that is left to fill in your own letters and names.

boyteacher

First Day
Old 08-18-2017, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This year, I read School's First Day of School to my class.
boyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote