Future Teachers

Certification in Florida

>

xcitedteachr

xcitedteachr

Certification in Florida
Old 08-13-2017, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am interested in becoming an elementary school teacher in the state of Florida. I will graduate in November with my Associates degree in early childhood education.

1. Most jobs for assistant teachers or preschool teachers require you to have 45 DCF training hours and I was wondering is this equivalent to an Associates Degree in Early childhood education?

2. If there are any Florida teachers out there, after I earn my associates degree what is my next step in becoming a teacher?

I have done a lot of research on what is required and every state has their own qualifications but it is so confusing and not concrete on what is actually required and the steps I need to take in order to advance my teaching career.

Thanks!

angel88

angel88

same here
Old 10-15-2017, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i am also doing ECE, but i will finish next year with a BA.the next step in florida to teach in an elementary school setting is to have a BA.and you must take FOUR state exams; FTCE general knowledge, professional education test, and two subject areas preschool education (birth-4) and prekindergarten/primary pk-3 in order to get the state license.here is the link so you can get more information about each test http://www.fl.nesinc.com/tests.asp.

if you are not ready to take the exams you can apply for a 3 year temporary certificate, which will give you time to gain experience and to study.if you want to stick to working in florida, focus on their requirements because comparing to other students will confuse you.

the dcf 45 hours is if you want to teach in a daycare setting, that is an entirely different process, which you would need to go through on the DCF website.some of their requirements can be replaced because you do have the AA.but they are more stricter with what they want.so you can visit your nearest DCF location (which i think is better and you can have all your questions answered) or just go through the website.