Help

Special Education

Best data collection method for you....

>

Opal

Best data collection method for you....
Old 08-14-2017, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my 3rd year as K-3 cross cat sped teacher....

I feel pretty good so far about what I'm doing and feedback from admin, parents, students and co-workers supports how I feel😀

My weakness is in developing a method to collect data that works!

I typically start out strong and quickly get overwhelmed and stop keeping timely and useful data...I then quickly test kids before IEP meetings to bring some data to team....this feels like I'm never sure exactly what student needs to work on at any given time...

My intentions are great...I understand how important data collection is...I'm willing to stay on top of it but what will really work?

What works for You? Thanks ahead of time...😀

Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

panther1987

I've been there
Old 08-14-2017, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've been teaching sped for many years and I still have problems keeping up with it sometimes.

Last year I tried writing out each time I would take data on each goal on a physical calendar. This helped me a lot but I have a few kiddos who have frequent absences and that could throw everything off.

Previously, when I worked in a self contained setting, I had my paras trained to take data using checksheets that I created.

Perhaps one of these ideas might help.
panther1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-14-2017, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a data binder for each student. I have a tab for each of their IEP goals. The first page is a data sheet with two columns, one for the date and one for the score. Behind that are copies of whatever probe I'm using to progress monitor the goal. So when it's time for progress monitoring, all I need to do is pull out the student's binder and everything is right there and ready to go. We are required to progress monitor with DIBELS weekly at my school, so I do that every week and then alternate progress monitoring other goals by doing math goals one week and then writing goals the next week. That way every goal is progress monitored every 2 weeks at minimum. I usually progress monitor on Mondays. Since the math and writing goals are based on probes/assignments that they complete independently, I have them all working on those while I pull them aside individually to do their 1 minute readings for DIBELS.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote
zhpt

zhpt

Old 08-15-2017, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use google forms. One question for each objective as well as behavior data. I log it at the end of day (or you could have an assistant do it) and it automatically gives you the percentages for progress reports as well as charts for IEP meetings. I also have a book where I keep notes for stuff not in the IEP, such as new behaviors, unusual stuff, medical stuff.. It has come in handy when to spot some trends or for students with medical complications.

Squirrelly1

Old 08-15-2017, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The last few years I have used individual data sheets and have tried to get my paras to take more data for me. I also used curriculum based assessments and other assessments to use for progress notes that were aligned with their individual goals and made a lot of copies to keep for progress note time, which were kept in 2 binders (one for each grade). With up to 18 kids it was a little challenging to say the least. For next year I have started individual data binders for each student since I should have about 9-10 students next year. I will have their snapshots, contact info, current reading levels or other testing, and data sheets divided by subject. I figure this way I can just take the binder with me to IEP meetings and everything is right there.

Squirrelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher0729

Old 08-23-2017, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Also use google forms! I can send them to paras or classroom teachers to fill out and I have on my weekly to do list to send and record the data.
teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

Catlady1414

Set up
Old 10-01-2017, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hello,
Awesome idea! How to you start to set this up!? I'd love to try.

Thank you
Catlady1414 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Grr-
Old 10-01-2017, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is a sore point for me as well. I am year 12 or so and still struggle with this. Like the PP, I start out with a well thought out plan that becomes less practical and less used as time goes on.

Is there anyone willing to send out a sample Google form they use?

I am slightly familiar with making a Google Form and have made Book Reports and reading logs but cannot seem so even picture how this would look for data collection.

Anyone willing?
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote