Help

Career Decisions

Enrollment counselor?

>

twinangels

Enrollment counselor?
Old 08-14-2017, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After 22 years of teaching, numerous changes in standards, a new standards based report card for grades K-5 (no grades?!), changes in testing almost every couple of years, with no relief in sight of the constant changes and insufficient training and/or materials to support the changes...I'm thinking of changing careers. I'm thinking of becoming a college enrollment counselor. It will be a cut in pay, for sure, but I'm thinking the stress level will be greatly reduced. I know there will are travel involved, and lots of calling and campus tours, but I'm thinking anything is an improvement at this point.

Has anyone done this job? Any thoughts? I'm nearly 50, so I'm not sure if they will even look at me because of my age and lack of experience in this field. Just something that I'm considering. Also, should I just retire from teaching, and then take this job, so I can draw retirement benefits? Has anyone done that?

Scary to think about changing careers, but even scarier to think of how much worse it might get in education over the next ten years.

TIA for any advice.

twinangels is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

college enrollment counselor
Old 08-15-2017, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I get it! I taught for 10 years and then school psyched for 5 years and I think I'm done with education. Or I need a break. I am taking this year off to work on my own stuff.

Anyhow, I did some searching in the Spring for other possible jobs and there was a DSPS counselor at a local community college. The director was really nice, but very flaky and has not followed up on it with me (I would like to think it's her and not me!). Either way, when the job was described to me it seemed like a LOT less stress. I'd be busy but not crazy busy. This is a little different than what you're thinking because it's special ed focused, but the big idea is the same.

I think it is scary to make a career change, but are you happy? Is your stress level affecting your health?
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

twinangels

Old 08-15-2017, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm happy when I'm left to teach, but we have a lot of changes that happen every year. So, the stress is taking its toll on me. I have a balance disorder, and stress and lack of sleep make it worse. Each year, I pray that things will calm down and they would just let us teach, but each year, it feels worse.
twinangels is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

college enrollment counselor
Old 08-16-2017, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I'm happy when I'm left to teach
That's how I felt about teaching. If I could just TEACH, I'd be fine. The same thing with the school psych thing. I would tell myself with each of these jobs "It can't get any worse!" and it does. I realized I was saying this over and over and nothing was changing. Hence, the year off to take care of myself and to start my own business.

What steps have you taken to become a college enrollment counselor?
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote