Help

First Grade

Large class

>

bobcat

Large class
Old 08-15-2017, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have 26 kids to start and a few more on the way! For me this is a large class as I've always been lucky enough to have 20 or less. (18 last year) I'm hoping those of you who consistently teach larger groups can share some of your tried and true tricks.

Looking for ideas for recess, morning work, routines, procedures, etc. Basically anything that helps you be as efficient as possible! Thanks everyone!!!

bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 08-15-2017, 11:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in the same boat! I had 21 last year. This year, I have 27 so far... my cap is 29!

I'm looking for advice too. I joined Angela Watson's 40 hour work week club to get more efficient.

We start preplanning this week. This is my plan so far in terms of back to school set up:
http://teachersagainststress.blogspo...to-school.html

Last edited by pausebutton; 08-16-2017 at 03:04 PM..
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

What I did with large classes
Old 08-16-2017, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Each student got a number that corresponds to the alphabetical class list. It saved lots of time with paper work. They even lined up by number.

Instead of having a multitude of helpers I had one helper of the week that did ALL the jobs. They loved that. It worked out that there were enough weeks in the year.

I limited myself to three reading groups.

Before I had full time assistant I enlisted parent volunteers for as many mornings as I could. In the beginning the students are soooo needy. This helped my sanity.

I had my classroom arranged in groups of 4/5 which most likely you all do.

I made sure my next day was ready to go before I left for the day....just like if I had a sub.

My largest classes have seemed to be so enjoyable because of all the dynamics a variety of children can bring to the room.

Have a great year!
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Schroe

Same boat!
Old 08-16-2017, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just received my list of students...26...! So, I am going to create the least amount of work for myself as possible! For my reading groups, I try to keep it simple for them and for me. For example, I take a picture of each student, cut their faces out and glue them on a 1 inch wooden disk and then place a magnet on the back. Each day they know to check the whiteboard to see where their faces are that day: so, group X might find that their faces rotate from guided reading to word work to read to self while group Y might check to find that their faces rotate from writing to guided reading to word work, etc. This makes it so simple for me and for the students and they love checking daily! I might do the same for math this year.

I let students know that they have to help each other out because its all of them and little old me and they respond so well to this! I find that they are eager to help...for example, a student might tie someone's shoes instead of waiting for help from me.

Finally, routines, routines, routines. Stick to them, be consistent. Sometimes I find that the challenges aren't always in the numbers but rather the population. I expect this year to be easier in many ways than last year given the difference in the class itself. Good luck!!
Schroe is offline   Reply With Quote

BmoreFun

Always a large class
Old 10-05-2017, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi!
I currently have 30 little lovelies in my class so I feel your pain! In the past 8 or so years, I have never had a class smaller than 26.

I find that the key is good classroom management to start. I tend to be tough in the beginning so I can loosen up around October. This works most years.

I also find that a consistent routine and allowing students to be more independent helps a lot also. I place a lot of responsibilities on my students so they can move around the room and complete tasks independently and only need me for extra support. This frees up some of my time to work with students that really need extra help or the students that need a challenge.

I also mix things up. For example, we were struggling to transition quietly, so I changed the routine to keep them interested and engaged. When this routine gets stale, I will change it again.
Hope this helps!

BmoreFun is offline   Reply With Quote