Help

Special Education

Setting up my sub separate classroom

>

Teachercat2

Setting up my sub separate classroom
Old 08-16-2017, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I am returning to being a sub separate classroom teacher after about 5 years. I am having trouble getting started with a plan for the physical classroom set up as well as the schedule for the classroom. Previously, I have taught a self contained room where my students were all intellectually impaired and I had them all day. Then I taught a resource room where I pulled groups of students. This room sounds like it is a mix of the two. Some students may be all day with me while others come and go at different times. I also have students K-3 potentially all there at the same time. I would love some recommendations for how to get this type of room set up best, how to schedule, and also any books/websites that could be helpful. Thank you!

Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

jayca

Old 08-21-2017, 09:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a friend who teaches in an elementary school with a similar set-up as you. It can be frustrating, but it's definitely manageable. First, you need to know your students' schedules. Who's staying? Who's going? And, when? Then, build your schedule from there. You might need to do math in the morning if your students are pulled for other math classes.

Do you have access to technology? That's a good way to stay organized. It's also useful when you create small groups or stations. Do you have paras with you? How many? You might want to do small groups since you have students from K-3. You can group by grade level or by skill level. It depends on your students. You can have one group do direct instructions with you, another group do independent work, or have a group work on basic skills or in a workbook with a para. Try looking through Pinterest. You might be able to find some good teacher blogs through there that can tell you exactly what they do and how they set it up.

Hope this helps.
jayca is offline   Reply With Quote