Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

How decorative is your classroom?

>

puzzle1mom

How decorative is your classroom?
Old 08-16-2017, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am teaching middle school math for the first time (I've done elementary for the last 20 years) and I really didn't find a lot of math posters that were age appropriate. My room looks OK, but I didn't go overboard with the decor because I am having to put a lot of my time & effort into learning all the middle school procedures and routines as well as the curriculum. Some of my coworkers look like they spent a FORTUNE on their classrooms - border, labels, posters, - you name it. I can't do that; we have a new admin this year who has implemented a stricter dress code and I've had to spend a lot of $$ on new wardrobe pieces!
I just figured with middle school, my room doesn't need to look so "Pinterest-y" with the older kids.
Thoughts?

puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-16-2017, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't get why people say bad things about Pinterest classrooms. It is just a place to get ideas. My room didn't cost much to decorate, and I don't redo the theme every year. I've had three rooms in 25 years. This is my third color scheme.

I made my curtains from a children's valance and fabric remnants. I use fabric and ribbon for bulletin boards. One set of fabric lasted me 17 years. My dad made my podium. Stools are from thrift stores. My DH is making a standing desk for me from an old bookshelf and scrap lumber from our house addition last year. I label things with my Cricut. I use school funds for posters and furniture. The most expensive thing I purchased for my room is my $49 office chair.

I'm secondary certified and taught high school before moving to middle. No elementary decorating genes in me.

Here is my 8th grade ELA room.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-16-2017, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm surprised other teachers at your school are going all out- I don't remember the classrooms I was in being decorated at all after elementary school! I honestly think if the kids even notice, the decorations aren't something they really care about.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Queenie Peavy

Old 08-16-2017, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My room has been described as cozy. I use some lamps...all second-hand or thrift store finds. I teach history so I use an Americana theme...basically red, white, and blue. I hit up the post Fourth of July sales! I made some 3D stars out of scrapbook paper last year. This year I went out in my yard and gathered sticks to make some stars. I painted them red, white, and blue and they will sit on a book shelf. My room is less decorated than some but I like it just fine. If you don't have much on your walls, that just means you have lots of space to showcase student work! Good luck in your new role this year!
Queenie Peavy is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Room
Old 08-16-2017, 11:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Spend the money on your clothes! I really do not buy into the decorating that so many do.

I prefer a streamlined classroom with few frills. The idea of cleaning some rooms that I see online - our janitors would never do it, and the safety inspectors would rip half the stuff down.

I taught middle school for 13 years, 18 years in 4th before that. I have always been of the mind that most of what's on the walls should be student-created, whether it's showing off projects or anchor charts.

My classroom was full of the tools and furniture we NEEDED - there was little space left for lamps, vases, etc., etc.

Students with attention issues find it extremely difficult to focus in rooms that have walls covered with "stuff."

Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 08-17-2017, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ima Teacher - I wasn't trying to insult anyone who uses Pinterest for their rooms. I used it plenty in elementary, but I had a lot of trouble finding ideas for my particular situation/classroom. I'm teaching 3 classes of math (2 different curriculums) and one of religion (we're a Catholic school) so it was hard for me to find things that were cohesive.

Sorry if it sounded like that!
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-17-2017, 03:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

To me it makes more sense to go with a color scheme. We can't have content displayed during testing. I only put up a map, and I have to cover it. Everything else is procedural or decorative so it doesn't need to be removed.

There are huge bulletin boards in the hallways where we display student work, so it's not in the rooms.

In the last few years, more people say "Pinterest room" to me with a snarky tone, soI'm a bit sensitive to that. It wasn't you. I just do t get it. Plus, by room was like that 25 years ago, way before Pinterest.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Simple
Old 08-17-2017, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do have a color scheme, but not much of a theme anymore. Most of our poster fall down as soon as they are put up. I actually try not to laminate things because they won't stay up. Of course, they also wrinkle and look terrible after a year or two. I was thinking I need to redo my bulletin board because the borders are a bit torn up. However, I didn't see any I liked. Many kids seems to put their fingers on it and pick out staples.

Our rooms are pretty small and cramped, so few people have highly decorated rooms. Some have a team or sports thing going on. Others have nothing: no bulletin boards or really anything up. I noticed that a few of the teachers who have slightly bigger rooms are putting in some chairs, couches, and even lamps. If I had room, I would love to do that, but really I don't have any extra space.

Online, I've seen the rooms with those puff ball things hanging from the ceiling. I really like some of them that are brightly colored. However, no one has a room like that in my entire school. We get no money for supplies and we don't even have room for tables and reading areas.

I say just put up some bulletin board paper. The borders are optional. Have kids put up a bulletin board after school starts. I always have kids in my study hall who love to do this. Or just save it for student work. I have some quotes just printed on paper around the room. I also have a lot of procedural signs like when to sharpen your pencil, etc.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote