Help

ESL/LEP

Specific ESL Question

>

Tex1977

Specific ESL Question
Old 08-17-2017, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new ESL Coordinator at a Middle School. The school year is barely beginning. At the very end of classes today, I had an 8th grade language arts teacher pull me aside and tell me that one of her students did not seem to understand the english instructions given to the rest of the class and she was told by some of his fellow students that he "doesn't speak english". I am brand new at this job so I am not sure what my first steps should be to help this student. If anyone has any practical advice or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Tex1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 08-17-2017, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

They should have filled out a home language survey. Every child has to fill this out upon enrollment. It may be called something different, but your office or registrar should know.

Then you should have some sort of assessment that you give incoming students. It may be WIDA or ELPA or state based. That should give you a level to start at...and plan instruction around.

But first step is to even figure out if the students is really a non-english speaker.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

RaceFan18

Legally
Old 08-21-2017, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my state there are laws for identifying students for ESL. You should definitely find out about those before you do anything. That way you're being fair to the student and covering yourself as well.

Home Language Surveys are the first step here. Those are filled out by parents.

In the mean time, see if there is a student who speaks this student's language who can help the student with practical things like bathroom, lunch, etc. If not, you or the student's teachers can google words/phrases in the student's language to help him get through the first few days/weeks until he can be served in ESL legally.
RaceFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote