ESL/LEP

First days in ESL classroom!!!

>

NewESLTeach

NewESLTeach

First days in ESL classroom!!!
Old 08-21-2017, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been a classroom teacher for a few years, and I am now making the move to ESL. I will be working mostly with kindergarten. We are to start pushing in the first week of school. At other schools I have taught at, ESL teachers always pulled the kids out in kindergarten. I am at a loss as to what to do. Do I push in and just pull my kids to the side? Or should I just float around and get to know them first?? I am feeling very unsure of myself and ANY advice that you could give would be very much appreciated!!! What do you do the first few days? Thank you in advance!!!

Tiamat

I do this
Old 08-23-2017, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For the first week or so, I float about, talk to the kids and get to know them, help with activities and generally make myself a presence in the room. I am not good with children this young, so if they don't burst into tears when they see me, it's always a plus.

Once we're more established, I spend a two hour session with the class. I work with most of the kids (most of our children, even native speakers, have poor language skills) on a specific activity (currently we're doing writing tasks, with a lot of talk about the task before). Then for the last half hour, I pull the high needs ESL kids out of the room and do some more intensive language work with them.

It's a highly ineffective way of delivering ESL support to the least needy students in our population (in our school anyway).
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

elltch

Old 09-02-2017, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's a great discussion point to have with the classroom teacher. I love the push-in model of support for ELLs. Come up with a plan for week 1 and 2 together. Does she want you to float, or teach some of the lessons, or work with kids? Good luck! Kinders are so cute!!
elltch is offline   Reply With Quote