Kindergarten

Transitional Times

>

cloutcalt

Transitional Times
Old 08-21-2017, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I just started the fourth week with my Kinders and our transitions are taking a really long time due to a select few kids who will not clean up on time or get to the carpet quickly and quietly. Is this normal within the first few weeks of K? How can I help our transitions go more quickly and smoother? I use class dojo and give and take points. I also have a Mr. Potato head that we are working to fill up for a reward if we beat the timer, but I have the same 4-5 kiddos who are holding up the rest of the class and it doesn't seem to make a difference to them. Thoughts?

cloutcalt is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

Transitions
Old 08-21-2017, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When my students transition from centers to whole group, they count. We start the year by counting to 100. This gives the students practice with oral counting which is a K state standard. By the 3rd quarter they count by 10 and 5 and in the 4th quarter they count by 2. All students should be on the carpet and ready to learn by the time we are done counting. Sometimes I mix it up by telling them to start and stop at certain numbers. Student who are all ready get a dojo point. Students who are not ready soon learn that it is best to clean up and get moving.
essence253 is online now   Reply With Quote