Help

Third Grade

Sequencing

>

rissable

Sequencing
Old 08-23-2017, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district uses the EnVision math series. It starts out with place value to the hundred thousands while they ended 2nd grade only to the hundreds! Yikes....they always have difficulty and I can't blame them. It results in many students feeling they are not good in math.

So this year, I'm thinking of beginning with multiplication after a short review of adding and subtracting. We don't usually introduce it until Thanksgiving or so.

Any opinions out there from those of you who begin the year with multiplication? Is it more developmentally appropriate than place value and rounding?

Thanks in advance friends!

rissable is offline   Reply With Quote

Bigfoot

Old 08-23-2017, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One of our math consultants said it is often better to start off the new year with something that kids can do easily in math and doesn't take that long so they like math. If you start off with something difficult, she said, kids will often adopt an "I can't do math attitude". So if you feel comfortable teaching multiplication first and you know your kids will be more successful in it, than place value I say go for it, you are the best judge of your students.
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-23-2017, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My district just changed the curriculum map and we're starting multiplication NOW! I have mixed feelings. We need the time, because it's what takes the longest. On the other hand, many of them aren't solid with addition, subtraction and place value so I feel like we need to spend some time on that first. We'll see how it goes.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Multiplication
Old 08-23-2017, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The easiest way I found to teach children their facts was to start off the year by teaching skip counting songs using the CD "Multiplication Motivation." The songs are fun and great for times you need a brain break activity. Each song is a different style. When you introduce multiplication facts knowing the multiples ahead of time makes mastery much less stressful and more likely to be successful.

When I first purchased it, it was a 33 1/3 record. That was before audio tapes and CDs.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Place Values
Old 08-23-2017, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I subbed in a 5th grade classroom, yesterday, and the students were still dealing with place values... including the decimal places to the millionth. I checked their textbooks and found place values as the the title of Chapter 1.

I wonder if there are YouTube or Khan Academy videos to help make learning math concepts easier?

KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 08-23-2017, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think it sounds like a good plan. My first year in grade 3, I started with patterning but wow, it is MUCH harder in 3rd than 1st and 2nd. It was not a good start.

The following year, I saved patterning. I did an addition and subtraction review first...I wish I could remember the sequence of the rest but I can't! I know I did multiplication in Jan. though and patterning was later in the spring, when I felt up to it.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Your Pacing?
Old 08-23-2017, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm just curious, what does your district's pacing guide suggest? We also have Envision as a series, but it is just a supplemental tool.

Going from the hundreds to hundred thousands makes sense. It's the next "grouping of three" in the place value series. Do your standards ask the kids to go up to hundred thousands?

They need to understand place value before multiplying.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 08-23-2017, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I always start with place value. I think they need that understanding of how numbers really work to understand the concepts we will be working with all year.

Our first unit is:
*Place and value of a digit
*Comparing and ordering numbers
*Rounding to nearest 10 and 100

I personally feel these skills need to be understood before they can start multiplication.
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Place value
Old 08-24-2017, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Before you do anything, please do a search for Kim Sutton. She is a terrific teacher & has wonderful resources.
Students must have a good understanding of place value or they will be lost in the upper grades.

Brain Pop Jr. & Brain Pop should have videos. Pinterest has loads of teaching aids as well.

Another resource would be Lucy Cook. She uses number tiles. Her materials are inexpensive & kids love them.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Place Value is also on Study Jams
Old 08-24-2017, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

bu Scholastic. They are short and fun! Also FREE!

http://studyjams.scholastic.com/studyjams/index.htm

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 08-30-2017, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My district uses Math Expressions and it starts the year with multiplication. This works out well since it takes so long for them to master. Lots of manipulatives and pictures of groups are used to give students an understanding for multiplication. This helps with things that come up in the future like time, fractions, area and perimeter, etc.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote