Help

Fifth Grade

Departmentalization. Yes or No?

>

AnEagerReader

Departmentalization. Yes or No?
Old 08-23-2017, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We might go departmentalized at our grade level...but I have hesitations (plus, it is such a last minute thing!). I've done it before, but it's been a long while. What do you think about departmentalization? Do any of you do it? I know it has its pros and cons.

AnEagerReader is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

We'e been doing it for 9 years
Old 08-24-2017, 12:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

and love it! I wouldn't want to teach any other way. I get to focus my time on just a few classes, which I happen to be passionate about. It's hard sometimes to get everything in I want to get in since my time is limited and specific, but it all works out. The key is communication with your teammates to ensure everybody gets what they need without overwhelming the kids.
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

+/-
Old 08-24-2017, 01:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I could go either way.

It's less of a bond with "your" class, but it's good for the kids who need to get up and move every so often. I like the flexibility with self-contained to run one subject a little long and cut another short, but I like changing classes when there's a particular troublemaker because you get a break.

And I agree with GiantSubs about communicating with your team! Don't all have your tests and big projects due on the same day, for instance. (Our departmentalized 5th grade has a big combined calendar out in the hall.)
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Ali'a

We have done it forever
Old 08-24-2017, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We absolutely love it! There are three of us. We all teaching Reading/Language for 2 hours and then we split math, science, and social studies. That leaves us with only two preps, the kids get to move and have different teachers. We all win. We all love it. The day goes so fast.
Ali'a is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

All depends
Old 08-24-2017, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you have a partner teacher that you work well with it is a pretty good arrangement. You and your partner know all the students and can put your heads together to problem solve when a child has an issue. You have less planning to do and can focus on just the subjects you teach. It means you are only responsible for helping them pass one state test rather than two. That is a big relief in pressure. Also if there is a very challenging student you only have them half a day rather than all day.

If you end up working with someone you don't really share the same teaching philosophy with or you disagree on behavior expectations it can be miserable.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Jip

Weigh Your Priorities
Old 08-26-2017, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have taught both ways, and am currently in a departmentalizing situation.

I enjoy self-contained for the freedom and flexibility it affords throughout the day. You really bond with your kids and don't feel the stress to stay on schedule as much.

However, departmentalizing is sure a lot easier for planning and prepping purposes. Plus, I do enjoy getting to build a relationship with more of the students in our grade level.

If I have to pick my preference, I guess I enjoy teaching in a self-contained room more, but it is more work.
Jip is offline   Reply With Quote

AnEagerReader

Old 08-26-2017, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for your input! I have done both...and feel that I prefer self-contained because you get to bond with your kids more and have more flexibility. However, departmentalization is a done deal for this year, and I will hope for the best! We had a meet and greet day and the kids seem excited, so I hope it carries into the whole year!
AnEagerReader is offline   Reply With Quote