The Job Search

need help to improve

>

joblessinMo

joblessinMo

need help to improve
Old 08-26-2017, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The summer has come and gone. I am a recent graduate with an elementary degree. Had a job last year, so far from my house, so I opted to look closer this year. I have great references from my job last year. I did not realize that the field was so saturated. I subbed for 3 years before graduating. Here's a problem, I am 53 years old and I think my age might have a reason to do with why I am getting turned down. I have had 4 interviews. Maybe better candidates just came along. I am not needed where I was the year before because of enrollment. How can I look better on paper? I have applied for assistant jobs, but I think they keep expecting someone younger than I am. I am going back to subbing, but I want to improve my paper profile. Is the general consensus that someone my age would struggle to handle the stress of the profession? I need some straight shooters here so that I can face reality and get a game plan. I taught homeschool for over 14 years and decided to be a teacher because of my love to instruct children. The homeschool experience is not valued on the same level as public teaching, and it is very different, yet it contributed knowledge and experience to me as a public school teacher. How do I become a rockstar fellow teachers???? Help!

flutetoot

Old 08-26-2017, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Elementary is very competitive from what I have seen - is it possible for you to get certified in other areas?

I am 50 myself. I finally got my first teaching job at 47. I have numerous certs in numerous states. I know what you are going through!

People will say that there is no age discrimination in schools, but there is. I know that I was passed over many times by someone less experienced, less qualified, and not even certified but they were much younger.

All I can offer is advice: keep trying. Try other avenues. Look into other certs, other states if possible. Someday you will get hired.

There are plenty of people on here that can relate to what you are going through
flutetoot is offline   Reply With Quote
joblessinMo

joblessinMo

Thank you
Old 08-26-2017, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for the encouragement. Yes, I feel like there is age discrimination though I'm sure no one would admit to it. The crazy thing is, I have life experiences that have strengthened me as a teacher that I did not have 30 years ago. I am a better teacher now than I ever would have been when I was younger. I'm not sure how to market myself to highlight my strengths. It seems to me that my age is viewed as more of a weakness.

1956BD

How are your interviews?
Old 08-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Are you the kind of person who can sell yourself. Because that's what it takes. If not then I suggest you practice infant of the mirror and then a person who can give you feedback.

Don't give up. It is actually good to have teachers at a variety of ages and with varied backgrounds.

Good luck!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote
joblessinMo

joblessinMo

Thank you
Old 08-28-2017, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for your response. I got a call for an interview this thursday for a teaching position. I thought I was someone who could sell myself. I'm certainly comfortable speaking with people, and my interviews seem to go very well. maybe more experienced people are getting the jobs? I've even had interviews where it felt like we were all hitting it off and they asked me which position I would rather have out of the two they have open. I could be saying something wrong and not know it. I am meeting with a friend of a friend who is an assistant principal. She is going to help me get ready for the interview, so maybe after speaking with her I will know how to interview better.