Help

Kindergarten

TS GOLD??? Help!

>

Eaglesfan

TS GOLD??? Help!
Old 08-26-2017, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district has recently adopted the Teaching Strategies Gold assessment system for K. Our Preschool has been using it for years, it is basically the only assessment they do and they also generate a report card with it. Now they have moved it up to Kindergarten and we will have to start using it in September. We've been told that we have to do ALL sections 3x per year.

Here's the problem though...we can NOT use it to generate a report card, and we still have to do all of our other assessments through the year because we use the following programs and they come with unit and checkpoint assessments. We use envisions for Math, ReadyGEN for reading comprehension, Fundations for phonics, and Writing Workshop for writing. We also do an F&P assessment twice a year to level them. We assess A LOT!

So, to me, what is the value of using a tool such as GOLD? Parents won't see it, we have to use our old report card, and we get the very same information (minus the social/emotional) from our MANY other assessments. As grade level chair, I've gone to our administration about it, but they said that since our district received a Preschool Expansion Grant two years ago, we have to do it.

So, what do we do?? We know how time consuming it is, and we all feel like all we do is assess already! Any help, opinions, or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Eaglesfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-26-2017, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've questioned quite a few assessments in the last few years, and when I bring my questions to admin the first thing I ask is "What do you expect us to use the data for?" If it's data we are not ever going to use I pretty much call them out on it. If it's data we already get from another source I ask them which they would prefer us to use because I refuse to do both for no reason. Bring them the actual assessments if you must and show them that you would be doing the same thing twice. And, honestly, if they were going to still make me do both I'd just do one and transfer the results to the other. I am not going to waste my precious time with my kids on worthless assessments.

I would also question the reason why you can't use it to generate a report card. Get some real answers. Chances are they don't have any. And if your admin is saying you have to do it because the district higher-ups are mandating it, I would go to them. I feel like these are the things worth taking a stand over.

Luckily my admin has been receptive to those conversations and has actually dropped the notion of a couple of assessments he threw at us. He also chose to purchase ESGI for us because we were able to show that it's data we use and it saves us time so that we can focus on teaching.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Skimo

TSG gold
Old 08-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have used TSG gold with head start preschool, and it is ok. This year I am teaching pre-k and kindergarten class and I will use ESGI this year. So far, I like using this program better. I have been able to use and make my own assessments, and the parent conference form is a life saver.
Skimo is offline   Reply With Quote