Help

Special Education

Behavior plan

>

Cinderella00

Behavior plan
Old 08-26-2017, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know there are some wonderfully talented teachers here, so I'm looking for a few ideas from some of you!

This year I've had the added assignment of being the EBD consult for my district. I just picked up a student who is in need of a behavior plan, but isn't at my school. I will visit this child's classroom once a week and work with the classroom teacher.

Here's my problem. I'm trying to develop the behavior plan, and the classroom teacher has told me that she thinks any kind of sticker chart is too simplistic for 3rd grade, and that it makes students feel singled out. She won't do one (and that includes any kind of chart that reinforces behavior in timed intervals). She also doesn't want to do a daily feedback page to parents. She says if there's a problem she'll contact them, otherwise she just gives a thumbs up to the mom when he's picked up.

I'm not trying to pick on the teacher here at all. I get that being the classroom teacher with 28 student is ALREADY time consuming. I'm trying to develop a plan for her that will help her give feedback to the parents and provide reinforcement for behavior goals for the student, but at the same time fit into her classroom management system and not be too time consuming. AND provide me with some way to track behavior for his IEP. She has no behavior management system in her room like clipping up or down that could be tracked.

What kinds of ideas have you used for teachers that doesn't require a ton of time? Being new to consult means I don't yet have a bag of tricks!

TIA!

Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

EBD consult
Old 08-27-2017, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I get the parent feedback. Some parents just don't want to hear it, even if it is positive. Could she send the parent and/or you a weekly email about overall progress, so you have documentation?

As for goal tracking, can you do a check-in-check out type of system? More "age appropriate" and you can put the kid in charge of asking the adult to circle something once every 30 minutes, an hour, etc.

What is the teacher's motivation here? Does she just want the kid gone from her room or does she resent another teacher involved in her room? Perhaps you can gently remind her that you need documentation for X weeks or months will help the process.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote
alldaylong

alldaylong

Old 08-27-2017, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I work with high behavior kids and I kind of have to agree with the teacher on the sticker chart. To have a behavior plan that makes sense you have to do a behavior assessment first. It is most important to figure out why the student does what he does in order to teach him (or make environmental changes or changes in how staff responds) to make his behavior more socially functional. There are so many possibilities of why students misbehave: sensory overwhelmed, attention seeking, avoiding academics (trying to look bad rather than stupid), increased anxiety during transition, triggered due to trauma history, ... it could be tons of different things, all of which require a different response in order to be 'fixed'. Stickers just work short term for mildly attention seeking kids who like a bit of attention. There is no one kid fits all solution.

If the kid already has an EBD diagnosis his evaluation might give some more insight as to why he does what he does. Go from there. There are tons of resources on FBAs on the internet.

I know his is probably not the response you were hoping for, but unfortunately there is no easy answer. It is kind of like saying to a doc "My kid is sick. What should I do". You might find a doctor who just says 'Try antibiotics", and that might even work in 10% of cases. But a doctor that really wants to help the kid would ask about the symptoms, fire out the underlying reason for being sick and picking the most appropriate way to heal the kid from there. It is more work upfront but has a much better and much more appropriate result.

Cinderella00

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2017, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks both of you for your response! Your responses really helped me think through what I'm doing and clarify my ideas. I guess I should have added I've been an EBD teacher for several years now, it's just the consult at a different school issue that is new to me.

I actually agreed with no sticker chart, but was thinking there must be some way for this student to self-monitor his behavior and be provided feedback in a timely manner. Of course I realize it must be focused on changing the problem behavior, but I only have a few written records to go on and really identifying what was the problem is difficult.

He just qualified for ED, and I wasn't the one who did the observations last year. Like I said, I don't work in this school and prior teachers have left the building. An FBA was suppose to be done, but for whatever reasons wasn't. I'm the one who now has to develop the IEP based on my limited knowledge of this child and his behaviors.

I've come up with several ideas I'm going to suggest in the IEP. None require the teacher to devote an extended amount of time to implement. It's tough for her, too, because she has 10 students in the class with IEPs and some of them have very high academic needs. My student seems to be off to a good start to the school year.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote