How to efficiently order snacks and lunch? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

First Grade

How to efficiently order snacks and lunch?

>

Schroe

How to efficiently order snacks and lunch?
Old 08-27-2017, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
With 26 students to manage in the morning, I am wondering if anyone has any efficient ways to have students order snack, lunch (and which kind...hot, yogurt, etc.), milk only...
In previous years, I have had students come to a large table with their daily communication folders and then tell me what they need before we begin the day but with so many students, there must be a better and more efficient way to get this done. Our school does not provide any technology that would make this easier, just a spreadsheet that we are handed each Monday with check marks and codes for each student.
Any ideas? Thank you.

Schroe is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Ideas
Old 08-27-2017, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have attendance magnets and baskets. Kids move their magnet to the appropriate basket. However, we only have "hot lunch" or "cold lunch," so it may be harder if you have multiple options.

Some teachers used SMARTboard and created a file. Every child's name is infinite cloned and they can move it to whatever options.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-27-2017, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A lot of the teachers I work with do something similar to the above - each child has a clothespin that they clip to their choice or a Popsicle stick they put in the appropriate can. We have several options for lunch, but they bring their own snacks, so they only need one thing to move. (It's handy for attendance too, since you can see instantly who hasn't done it.)

Maybe you could set up a white board (like an easel one) with a permanent grid and their names along one side. The kids could check off their choices when they come in, and you could have counting each column be a classroom job.
Lakeside is online now   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 08-29-2017, 12:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Like you, I have 26 as well. I set up a chart on the computer closest to the door with all of the options and student names on the bottom. I use flipchart but it could be done on powerpoint. As each child arrives, they put away their lunch box and backpack. Then they get in line to "check in" with me. When it is their turn, they drag their name to one of the options before heading to their seat. It goes pretty fast because a majority of them bring lunch so most of them just drag to the lunchbox icon. Also, our buses drop off on a staggered schedule so the line isn't as long. Last, our lunch ladies prefer that we print the page and send it down to the cafeteria so that they know exactly what each student chose.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Lunch sticks
Old 08-29-2017, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use the jumbo popsicle sticks (6 different colors so kids can quickly find their own) with names written on them. When kids enter the classroom, they put their stick in one of the labeled cups - school lunch, home lunch, or milk only. This is my attendance also. Our kids bring their own snacks if they want one.

jov is online now   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We have 4 lunch choices.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The first two change every day, and the last two stay the same -yogurt plate or peanut butter sandwich. I have made little cards that go into a pocket chart with the names of all the menu choices on them. Each day the choices are displayed. Our school uses 4 different colored cards that the students show the lunch ladies when they get their lunches. The student choose a red card fir the first choice, yellow for the second choice, green for the third choice and purple for the last choice. When the students come in in the morning, they choose which lunch they want, and put the appropriately colored card in the pocket chart with their lunch ticket that has their name and number on it. Then I just count how many of each color and turn it in to the office. The kids carry their lunch tickets and their colored card with them to lunch.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 09-02-2017, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

No solution for you, just an observation. I don't know how they do it, but our cafeterias do not get any kind of lunch count. They just prepare food. I guess they know how much to prepare from experience. I'm sure there are no drastic changes and they could make reasonable predictions. Seems silly to waste instructional time getting lunch counts.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have my choices on a magnetic board. Each student has a magnet they put under their choice. I have a student whose job is to call those who haven't made a choice and then read the names to me under each item. It helps me keep track of who is absent as well.

I like jov's idea but in my experience, some kids "change" their choice by lunchtime. The list we send to the cafeteria has the original choice on it which is what they get.
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote