Help

Third Grade

Students choosing books

>

jillms

Students choosing books
Old 08-28-2017, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was curious to see what system you use in your classroom library to make sure students are choosing books that are "just right" for their reading level. I have a wide range of readers in my room, and I was trying to think of the best way to approach this. Thank you for any help you can provide.

jillms is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 08-28-2017, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I usually let them choose themselves and I monitor when they read independently (not every day, more like spot checks). If I have a student who is consistently choosing books that are not appropriate, I will limit the bins they are able to choose from.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 08-29-2017, 02:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I let them choose themselves. When I do status of the class or when I look at their reading log I can see if they are reading books that are not right for them. I then have conversations with them about right fit books.

When my older DD was in 2nd grade she was a struggling reader. The teacher would not let her read books that were above her reading level. DD had a horse book that she absolutely loved, and the teacher didn't let her read it because it was above her DRA level. After I talked with the teacher at P/T conferences, she let DD read the book to her, and DD could read it. Because it was about something she loved , and something she knew, she could figure out all the Tier 3 words.

I love this quote from Jennifer Serravallo:
Quote:
There are a number of variables that determine text appropriateness, and a “just-right level” is rarely a fixed letter or number for most kids. Factors such as motivation, higher or lower levels of background knowledge, and more come into play when matching children with books. Being too rigid and allowing a child to choose only within a single level all the time doesn’t sit well with me, either. If once in a while a child chooses a book you think is a stretch, but you're willing to provide some extra support, or she's reading it with a book club who will support her, or the child has incredible background knowledge about the topic, then maybe it would be fine. On the other end of the spectrum, if a child wants to read easy books, I'm OK with that, as long as there is some just-right reading in his or her weekly “diet” of reading as well.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-29-2017, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do IPICK. I spend a lot of time talking about good fit books, why we choose books (like shoes, we choose different books for different reasons), and understanding what we read. I talk about how if a book is a good fit you should only be making 2-3 mistakes on a page.

I then do a minilesson on easy, hard and just right books and talk about Goldilocks.

We talk about how it's ok to sometimes pick a book that's too easy because we want to sit back and relax and sometimes we want to challenge ourselves and pick a more challenging book.

So, in their book bags they can 5 books. 1 can be easy, 1 can be challenging, but 3 have to be "just right". I want no more than 1 easy and 1 challenging.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote