Help

Fifth Grade

Help!!!!

>

Jackie

Help!!!!
Old 08-28-2017, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was just transferred to a great school within my district. However, I was moved into FIFTH grade. I have been teaching 1st grade for 15 years! It is all I know! I know absolutely nothing about teaching fifth grade. I don't have a clue. What is the morning routine like? What do I do with them the first day of school? I am actually going to have to study each day before I teach math! I don't know how to set up a fifth grade classroom. I am so lost and I only have four days to set up and figure it all out. I am happy about the change but am so nervous about my lack of knowledge of the fifth grade curriculum.
Any and all help is appreciated!!

Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-28-2017, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught 1st for 5 years and then had to move to 5th. It was a tough year, but I really enjoyed working with the age group.

Even though they want everyone to think they are all grown up, they are still little kids. Mine liked read alouds and stickers just as much as the little ones!

There are some good blogs around. Some I got ideas from:
http://www.rundesroom.com/
http://www.teachinginroom6.com/

Start out as you normally would. Decide what procedures are. Bring the kids into some of the decisions and the buy in will be higher. Give them chores to get the classroom organized for them. They enjoy the responsibility.

You will do fine. Breathe. Make friends with any of your peers so you can lean on them for some of the projects and activities you will need in 5th. Good luck this year. You got this.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 08-28-2017, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I went from teaching 2nd to 5th. You will do the same things the first few days as you did in first grade. Teach your rules, expectations, consequences, and procedures. Do some team building and getting to know you activities. Saving Sam is a good 5th grade team building activity. Don't worry about the classroom set up. Set up your desks and library. Let kids do the bulletin boards--I did an activity All about Me in math poster and used that for decorating a bulletin board. Hook them with a great read aloud like Wonder. I used a lot of the same things for procedures--names on popsicle sticks for attendance/lunch count. Another thing is to let kids come up with what the rules--Be Kind, Be Safe, Be Respectful, Be Responsible, Do your Best--mean. The class was divided into groups and using chart paper came up with examples.Each group presented their chart. These were placed on the walls for all to see.

Fifth grade social studies in my district was American history which i loved teaching, I used lots of interactive notebooks for all subjects. The kids liked creating the notebooks.

Hope this helps. Fifth graders are great. The 2 web sites Kahluablast posted are excellent. I used them a lot.
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Fifth Grade
Old 08-28-2017, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Congrats on the new job! I have never taught fifth grade. I have taught middle school, high school, preschool and third and fourth graders. I have taught things that I had to learn along with the kids or just a smidge ahead of them and that is okay. Also don't be afraid to say I don't know the answer to that question but I will find out the answer for you. In fact you can even show them the process of finding answers. That is good modeling of how to use resources. You are all there to learn, including you.

Wishing you the best year of teaching ever!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Keep Them Busy
Old 09-03-2017, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Have a plan like everyone says... have your procedures, rules and consequences prepared as suggestions... model and discuss them with the class for 'buy-in'... and remember to be consistent.

Check with the other 5th grade teachers to be sure you are on the same focus with them. Students want structure and consistency, and they want to know what to expect.

I like that Runde's website. I also like two books: 1) Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire! Rafe Esquith and(2) 1-2-3 Magic for Teachers: Effective Classroom Discipline Pre-K through Grade 8. Phelan and Schonour.

Keep your students busy; teach them your expectations; and prepare them to be independent when they go to Middle School. You must start from day one to keep your class directed on the right path.

Another website that I love is Smart Classroom Management by Michael Linsin. You can sign up to receive his free weekly blog and review his archives for relevant topics. I love the comments that teachers leave at the bottom of each article!

I've subbed at schools in which 5th Grade classes were horrible, and I've subbed in schools where the 5th Grade classes are wonderful. It depends on the teachers' expectations, rules and consequences, and passion.

I like 5th graders because they have been in school long enough to know and understand the reason they need to learn new things. They can also appreciate that they will be transitioning into Middle School soon, and will need to be prepared.

KatrynG is online now   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Jackie
Old 09-04-2017, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You've been given some great tips! (so I'm not going to add on, although I might steal one ;-)

I want to wish a great year!

Dee
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote