Direct instruction or your own curriculum? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Direct instruction or your own curriculum?

>

teacher0729

Direct instruction or your own curriculum?
Old 08-29-2017, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm just wondering from other special education teachers who do resource or some pull out... do you only use scripted, direct instruction curriculums or do you make your own materials that specifically meet the students IEP goals? I teach reading to 4th-7th graders with learning disabilities and I'm wondering if I can use novels or if I should stick to the direct instruction (reading mastery, decoding SRA, spelling mastery).

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-29-2017, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The only "programs" available to me are LLI and Language! IMO LLI is not intensive enough for SPED and I don't have enough time with my students to fully implement Language! the way it's supposed to be done (minimum of one hour daily). I have some Orton Gillingham training, so I use a lot of those strategies combined with the language/visuals from the gen ed curriculum. I teach K-3, so most of my kids are still learning how to read and my biggest focus is phonics skills. I've kind of developed my own "program" over the years.

If your kids are either still learning how to read or very low readers, I would stick with a direct program. If they truly have those basics down and are working on higher level skills, you can focus on higher level skills...but if they're truly at that level, I think it would be better to piggyback off of the gen ed curriculum rather than just teaching your own novels.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

busybeing

Old 08-30-2017, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you have access to high/low readers? There are some great ones out there that are high interest, but weave in specific phonics concepts. I agree with Haley if they are still learning how to read or are very low readers, your best bet is something phonics based. High/low readers are great for this because older kids don't feel like they're reading babyish types of books that you'd typically find in the lower grades when kids are learning to read.

I do like your idea of using novels though - I think sometimes in special education, we get so focused on teaching kids how to decode that we sometimes lose sight of the practical reasons why we actually read.

Have you also tried Time for Kids? It is subscription based, but I've found that my special education students specifically tend to gravitate towards non-fiction.
busybeing is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher0729

Old 08-31-2017, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Great ideas! Our kids do reading with the general ed and then they get a 30 min "intervention" time with me in a small group in addition to the core curriculum. I'm thinking I should stick with the direct program during our intervention time because they will be exposed to novels in the gen ed. Most of my kids are one year below grade level but I have 2 who are 2-3 levels below.
teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

misscurlyj

Old 09-19-2017, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For reading I use Corrective Reading, writing is a mix between modified curriculum materials and Language for Writing and materials that I create or find. For math it depends on the skill: I pull straight from the curriculum/use curriculum intervention kit materials/create my own materials.

With all of these, I am VERY sensitive to what I put in front of my 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. Some of them are at a very low (K or 1st) level in reading. I am always thinking about this when I plan or prepare lessons. One of the reasons I LOVE Corrective Reading is because it also uses this sensitivity.

My kids feel better with their writing and acknowledge that they need intense guided support but know that they CAN and WILL get there.

In math, they are rockstars!!! I usually can do a little amount of modifying the curriculum or using the intervention from the curriculum and they do so well with it. I try to tie it in to real life as much as possible and use hands on and once a week a review type game.

misscurlyj is offline   Reply With Quote