Second Grade

Homework

>

21forme

Homework
Old 08-29-2017, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I am thinking of doing something different with homework this year. I would like to give the students choices on what to do each night. For example: Read for 10 minutes, math worksheet, flashcards, practice spelling words, write a letter, etc. I am thinking of giving it to the students on Monday and have them turn it in on Friday. I would only require them to maybe to 4 or 5 things total, but be able to choose what and when to do them.

Have you ever done this before? Thoughts? If you have done this, please share what has/has not worked. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

21forme is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Homework
Old 08-29-2017, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You might look at homework tic-tac-toe. You might be able to do something similar where students choose X number of activities from a grid.

You could go a menu. I did that for a few years. I gave the "menu" on Fridays. It was due the next Thursday so students also had the weekend. I had "appetizers," "main courses," "side dishes," and "desserts." They had to pick one from each section to create a "meal." I got the idea from a website, and amended it for my younger students. Appetizers and sides were smaller activists. Desserts were kind of fun. Kids liked it!

Now I have a grade level homework decision to follow and it's not bad. 20 minute of reading, 5 of math facts, 5 of spelling practice Monday through Thursday. It's not fun or creative, but it hits the basics and our kids can do it even if they're at the babysitter until midnight!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Just a Thought...
Old 08-30-2017, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like the way you are thinking outside the box.

However, I would not make independent reading a choice. Some of your students will choose it every time. Some of your students will never choose it...and they are the ones who need to practice their reading the most.

Good luck with your good idea.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-30-2017, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love the idea of giving kids choices - both in the types of activities and in the timing. I think it will greatly improve attitudes toward homework!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 08-30-2017, 09:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I like the idea of choice. However, last year at Back to School Night, my parents were skeptical. They wanted specific assignments. I think it's more convenient for busy parents to have their students complete a worksheet that they (probably) don't have to help them with. Just a thought.

2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

joyousmoi

A blend?
Old 09-03-2017, 11:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Maybe a blend of Must-do's and choices would work?

So there would be certain things they have to do and then others they could choose from?
joyousmoi is offline   Reply With Quote