Help

Retired Teachers

Retirement hobbies

>

TexTea

Retirement hobbies
Old 09-02-2017, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm kind of new to retirement... I retired in May and moved to Montana to be closer to family. I'm wanting to find a relaxing hobby that doesn't require investing in a lot of materials and supplies. I like to knit and crochet and plan to do that. Just curious to see what other hobbies you retirees have that are relaxing and enjoyable.

TexTea is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Adult Color Books
Old 09-02-2017, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I started coloring again. I love it! I use gel pens and like coloring paisley designs the best. There are many types of coloring books. The least expensive that I have found were at Walmart. Michel's sometimes puts their books on sale. I buy my pens from Amazon.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Hobbies
Old 09-02-2017, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My favorites are...

Floral design
Card making
Jewelry making
Yoga
SusaninNJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Suzanne

Jigsaw Puzzles
Old 09-02-2017, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know if I would consider this a hobby, but I'm really enjoying doing jigsaw puzzles. I especially love the ones that are from a place I've visited, like Vermont, or Cape Cod. I'm currently doing one of Las Vegas. I, too, am recently retired, and trying to figure it all out. Currently I've been eating, reading, sleeping and doing nothing. I need to find something a bit more productive.

I thought about baking as a hobby and sharing my products with friends and family. (I'm not really sure how much I enjoy baking, though). I'm also going to do some more walking around our neighborhood once school starts.

I'll follow your post to see what other ideas come this way!

Suzanne
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I like to bake as well
Old 09-02-2017, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

But I do not need to eat it any sweets. But I do have a firehouse near me and a VFW. I am suer they would appreciate some home baked goods. Thank you for the inspiration Suzanne.

TexTea

Old 09-02-2017, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

1956BD ...What do you do with your finished coloring pages? It sounds relaxing and I always did love getting new gel pens at the beginning of the year.

Ps how is your mother doing?

TexTea

Old 09-02-2017, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like to bake as well, but certainly don't need to eat. My living situation is a bit complicated right now so that may need to wait. I love jigsaw puzzles, so definitely will look into that. Great ideas, ladies!

Ruby tunes

Hobbies
Old 09-02-2017, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

One hobby I especially enjoy is training my dog for AKC competition performance events. And there are many! Obedience, agility, rally, lure coursing, dock diving, BarnHunt, and others. Many of my dog training friends are retired, as am I. We enjoy the human and animal companionship, plus the physical and mental stimulation and the challenge of communicating with and teaching a different species. In the past year I've traveled from SoCal to NorCal, Arizona, and Nevada going to dog shows. So much fun!! And now you don't need to have a purebred dog to compete, as mixed breeds are also welcome to participate in AKC performance events.

I have made many good friends this way. We have a great time doing potlucks together and going on group walks besides going to dog shows. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me for ideas on how to get started, or google AKC dog performance events. My dog keeps me active!! And that's a good thing.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-02-2017, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Ruby, I love reading about your dog training and competing.

Due to unfortunate circumstances, I don't have much free time in my life right now so I don't have a lot of interesting hobbies. Everyday I try to:
*walk for 90 minutes
*read (fiction)
*play 4 games online to keep me sharp (10 minutes)
*do a jigsaw puzzle online
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 09-02-2017, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Things I love to do:
* read & visit the library
* make cards
* work on my ongoing Rolodex Bible verse project
* just joined Silver Sneakers gym to workout
* crochet around fleece to give to the Linus Project
* volunteer at the NICU
* breakfast or lunch with my retired teacher friends
* Bible study
* spend more time with family
*swim
Wow! I guess I'm pretty busy! I just retired in May, too.

crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

retirement hobbies
Old 09-02-2017, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have perfected the art of procrastination
Found my exercise of choice is being a couch potato
Actually I'm recovering from spine surgery that put my whole system in a tail spin. I have kept my sanity by connecting here on PT, doing on line jigsaw puzzles and crossword puzzles, exploring possibilities for celebrating our 50th anniversary in 2018. Read a lot of books.

Still doing physical therapy but will start swimming at the Y next week.
I want to get back to scrap booking, and sewing.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 09-02-2017, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Well, I think I spend quite a lot on many of my hobbies, so I may not be of much help. I enjoy signing up for classes and trying new things--mostly arts and crafts but also physical activities and music lessons. I do spend quite a lot on arts and crafts materials to use on projects at home, but I also visit the thrift stores regularly and find bargains there.

For instance, this week I spent $1 and got two brand new packs of glossy paper, which I use to play around with my alcohol inks. Score! This morning I decorated a tin which had also originally come from the thrift store ($1 for a bunch of stuff inside the tin). Last week I up-cycled a little notebook that was also $1. It is darling, and I just love how it turned out! (Oh, and by the way, there is always loads of yarn at my local thrifts. Maybe yours too.)

I art journal, and use all sorts of supplies in it, but you don't have to. You can just use an old book or notebook and some pens, crayons, or pencils that you already have, as well as cut out images from old magazines to glue in. Or if you love to write you can write in a journal (or start a blog?).

I also enjoy jigsaw puzzles and only buy them from thrift stores (they are so expensive otherwise--I refuse to spend that much). If you know other people who do jigsaw puzzles you can trade with them when you're done. I also do them on my ipad.

I read a lot, and visit my library at least once every week. I also check out dvds to watch. So much, for free!

I love games of all kinds, especially word games, and I play them on my ipad. If you don't have that, they still sell those puzzle and game magazines at the grocery store. That's a lot of brain stimulation for just a few dollars.

I spend at least an hour every day exercising at home. I get together with friends once a week to walk and talk, and sometimes walk by myself on other days too.

Retirement is awesome! I love how I have time to do so many things I love, things that were often pushed aside while work took priority. Have fun exploring new things!
GlacierRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Daydreamr

Old 09-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I read Suzanne's post and thought, "Oh my gosh! This is me!" -> "Currently I've been eating, reading, sleeping and doing nothing." It must have something to do with being newly retired.

Other than tackling some of my accumulated mess, I haven't done much. I'm starting to do a bit of dancing after taking a long break, but I wouldn't call that relaxing - just fun!
Daydreamr is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Coloring Pages
Old 09-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I don't really do much of anything with them. I throw away the ones that turn out ugly. I keep the ones I am please with. I display on my craft room wall until I like something better. Then I toss out the old for the new.

It s the process of coloring that helps my anxiety. Not really looking for an end product.

My Mom is hanging in there. She has good days and bad. I am on a cruise right now and my sister is looking out for her alone.(while she lives in an assisted living facility with hospice care) It is worrisome that she may pass while I am gone but we bought and paid for this cruise long before her cancer meds stopped working. My Mom and sister told us to go on and take our cruise. So here we are on our way to Juneau. Thanks for asking.

PoohBear

Old 09-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Zentangle art is fun and relaxing and doesn't cost too much. All you need is paper and a few good pens. I have always been so unartistic so I love being able to produce something that looks like art Here is one of my early pieces.

I'd love to see some coloring pages or nature journal pages or other artistic endeavors!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 09-02-2017, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Oh yes, I forgot about Zentangle, or in my case, zendoodling. Great with gel pens!

That's beautiful, PoohBear!

TexTea, do you have a camera? Maybe do more photography. Do you have a musical instrument you'd like to take up again?

connieg

Old 09-02-2017, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I started in genealogy after I retired and that became a passion. I've gone so far with a number of brickwalls and have put this aside for the most part. Now, my days are spent writing. I just published an article on Lucy Winthrop Downing, the Founding Mother of Harvard if anyone is interested. There are lots of history articles on my website:

https://donnagawell.com/2017/09/02/t...-of-influence/
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

twinsister

Old 09-02-2017, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Beautiful PoohBear! I have never even hear of Zentangle.
twinsister is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Hobbies
Old 09-02-2017, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I, too, am in Montana! Western MT where all the smoke is.

I am in my 2nd year of retirement.

We started a garden ( first in 30+ years) and are enjoying its harvest.

I crochet - have discovered crocheted rugs made w strips from bedsheets. Also crochet snowflakes.

Zentangle - so relaxing!

Basket weaving. I've done this for a few years but now have the time to really explore it.

I try to walk 2-3 miles/ day, but the smoke hasn't allowed it for a while.

I love the idea of baking and giving the baked goods away!
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 09-02-2017, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

connieg, that was a fascinating article. I've always been interested in the Winthrops since one of my favorite books from high school was "The Winthrop Woman", a historical fiction about the woman John Winthrop called "his unregenerate niece".
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 09-02-2017, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Oh, another super easy and inexpensive one--start a junque journal. I started mine in a $3 planner binder from Target's dollar section.

amiga13

Old 09-02-2017, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

GlacierRose, what's a junque journal?

GlacierRose

Old 09-02-2017, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Well, it's something that can be used to collect little bits and pieces of your life that you want to save but don't know how--ticket stubs, letters, post cards, notes, cards, restaurant menus, travel brochures, pretty ribbon from a present, and so on and so on.

amiga13

Old 09-02-2017, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Thanks, I love that idea!

Hideeho

Thank you for starting this thread, TexTea
Old 09-02-2017, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I really like it. I love the way we are answering each other, too.

I'm a little like Glacier Rose in that with some of the things I do, I have and do invest a certain amount of money. However, I have participated in craft fairs in the past, my Etsy shop is on hiatus (but I have hopes of reopening it), and I just signed on to be a vendor in a primitive shop in town. So, even thought I spend money, I have the hopes of making a bit of money in the end. If I don't, that's OK, too. I will have had the pleasure of creating.

This is what I do:

* sew clothes for my gkids
* cross stitch - gifts, Christmas ornaments
* some cardmaking
* learning about bullet journals, started one, but need to tweak that some
* sew table runners, placemats, kitchen towels, potholders, and on and on
for the shop in town
* sew felt Easter, Halloween, and Christmas ornaments
* make Busy Bags for 3 of my gkids

In order to get ideas plus learn new techniques, I do quite a bit of online browsing. I do a lot of it on Pinterest. I just love that site. Anything you don't know, search it on Pinterest. There's bound to be something on there about it! Plus it's just fun to look through stuff.

Crazy4Cats - could you tell us more about your Rolodex Bible Verse Project? Sounds very interesting.

P.S. Everyone, there is a really neat board on PT - Creative Outlet - where you can share pics of your projects. I've shared a few, and it's a wonderful board with lovely people.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

lots2do

Fun to read about all these ideas...
Old 09-02-2017, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Experimenting as a new retiree is all about of your new life and isn't that great?

I read a lot, 'real' books and on Overdrive.
I knit, quilt, embroider and do hand sewing. I'm really enjoying English paper piecing especially with hexagons. A lot of my friends have worked on Lucy Boston projects. You can google those.
I'm going to get back into yoga and regular walking, make one new recipe a week and start making some little Christmas gifts.
I've also had a small garden this summer and a bird feeder to watch the daily 'bird wars and squabbles'.
I swim when the weather is right and like to kayak.
I've tried working with polymer clay this summer but the jury is still out on that craft.

Some libraries have puzzles to check out.
lots2do is offline   Reply With Quote

readbooks

Where in MT?
Old 09-02-2017, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I live in the Eastern part of MT. A very small town. When I am there hobbies are needed!!! Not much to do

I have found adult coloring books at the $ store. But haven't tried them yet. My older grand kids have.
I scrapbook
Read
Walk
Make wood crafts

When I'm in our second home I do all of the above as well as
Hunt for treasures at garage sales and thrift stores
Paint and repurpose furniture
Watch grandkids
Go shopping (a real treat for me in MT we are 120 miles from a Walmart and 250 from a mall or Target)
Hang out by our lake
readbooks is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-02-2017, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I don't know about hobbies but I really enjoy playing my keyboard, riding my bike, (I work out at the gym but do not enjoy it ) and reading. I have a very PT nanny job. However my situation is a bit different than a lot of retirees because we still have a teenager at home who has bipolar disorder and my DH is still working.

I am so glad you are enjoying your retirement!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

I have NO hobbies.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I've never been crafty and when I read about all of you I become somewhat jealous and a wee bit depressed. I cannot do fine motor things like sewing, crocheting, weaving, quilting, or ANYTHING like that. As a teacher I LOVED doing pristine bulletin boards and planned out my classroom beautifully. I know, that wasn't the important part of teaching, but I loved making our classroom a fun, motivating place for learning. My retirement has involved wellness for me. That includes exercise classes, hiking with friends, yoga... pilates for awhile, but not now, and helping my friends. Perhaps that is my "hobby". I make chicken soup or other food for my friends when they have surgery or are sick. I organize dinners for friends who are unable to cook. I have the time to give to others. And there are so many who need help. I wish I had fine motor skills, but I can throw together a delicious lasagna for a friend who is recovering from surgery and cannot cook.
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Mermaid

Old 09-03-2017, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

LuBelle,
One of the best things....being a kind, caring friend! Time to help a friend in need, priceless and so rewarding.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Rolodex project
Old 09-03-2017, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I am addicted to Pinterest! Not sure how I found the idea. I had an old Rolodex in the garage. (Almost donated it!) I decorated the front of the card and then wrote the verse so it is facing me and I don't have to flip the whole thing around. Does that make sense? I will post a couple pictures.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

crazy4catz

My rolodex
Old 09-03-2017, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Here is the start of my Rolodex.
Attachment

crazy4catz

Second part of rolodex
Old 09-03-2017, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Here is how I did it so I could read it without flipping it around. The verse is behind the K. PM me if you have questions.
Attachment

Hideeho

Old 09-03-2017, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

thank you so much Crazy4cats! The photos are great.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Glacier Rose - Junque Journal
Old 09-03-2017, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Would you post a photo or 2 of your junque journal? I really like the idea, but do better these days with visuals.

Thanks!
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 09-04-2017, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I'll do better than that--look here!...

https://www.google.com/search?q=junq...w=1024&bih=672

Like Hideeho, I love browsing arts and crafts ideas online. There are endless ideas from countless creative people.

Mine was only recently started, so I've only begun to decorate the cover and to put stuff inside.
JanetL
Old 09-04-2017, 09:57 AM
This message has been deleted by JanetL.

TexTea

Wow!
Old 09-04-2017, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I'm so impressed with all of your wonderful ideas! I am living in Billings, to those who asked. Hobby Lobby is up the street. After living in the Houston area for my teaching career, Billings is so much nicer weather-wise, even with the smoke. I am hoping to do more exercise, as several if you mentioned, but I have back pain that makes it hard to walk for very long without sitting. I want to check out the silver Sneakers gyms, too. Thank you for responding with so many great ideas!

kidsrterrific

Readbooks
Old 09-04-2017, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

What kind of wood crafts do you do? That sounds like something quite interesting for me to delve into. Thank you.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

cbgreente2001

Question about hobby
Old 09-04-2017, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Has anyone tried Bible journaling? It seems like a hybrid of drawing, focusing on scripture to find the heart of the verse, passage and having a memorable page at completion.
cbgreente2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 09-06-2017, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I enjoy studying various religions/ spiriitualities and finding commonalities and differences among them. I also study Reiki and energy healing.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Late to the thread but
Old 09-08-2017, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

I'm watching older Bob Ross Joy of Painting videos online and getting inspired to start painting. He makes it seem so easy and fun!
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

Old 09-08-2017, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I'm not retired yet, and am currently taking care of my dad, but I wonder when I retire if I would enjoy learning to cook? I don't cook AT ALL (I have to go on google to find how to make hard boiled eggs). Not sure how I would go about it, but it is something to think about.

I think this is a very interesting thread. So glad others are working out retirement. It seems like we focus so hard on getting there that once we arrive we look around and think, "Now what?"
teachwonder is online now   Reply With Quote