Help

First Grade

1st grader reading problems

>

Lorelai22

1st grader reading problems
Old 09-02-2017, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who is just not the best at reading, most of the time he guesses when sounding out words instead of trying it out correctly first. He is already 8 years old. I try to get him to read as much as possible but most of the time I think he just looks at pictures, and skims through the boom and says he finished it. I'm trying to get in time to have him read to me in class but I teach 2 other classes as well. What is a way to motivate a child to read instead of lying about it?

Lorelai22 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Old 09-02-2017, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Does your school have a student improvement team that you can refer him to? It sounds like he needs some help from Title 1, Reading Recovery or SPED. I know that a lot of schools don't have Reading Recovery, but you should have Title 1 or SPED. Do you do running records to find his exact level so he can have books on his level?
If he has had help from these programs and he still isn't motivated, maybe you could find an older child or a parent to come in and read with him.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

What does he like to do?
Old 09-05-2017, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Bring in a deck of picture/word cards (I made my own for my grand children) and deal/stack them to find out what he likes. I glued a colorful picture of an item: car, truck, bear, pie, cookie, strawberries, apples, cellphone, shoe, basketball, etc... on one side of a 3x5 card and I printed the word on the other side of the card.

And we would play with these flash cards that I made from pictures in old magazines.... the local library will be happy to give a bunch of old magazines to you or his parent(s). You could make this a homework assignment for his family.

Then find "Ready to Read" books about those things on his level. The library also has phonic readers and various levels of colorful books including wordless picture books to get students in the habit of trying to "read" the pictures!

Years ago, I met a nine-year-old at Big Brothers Big Sisters who couldn't read well at all. I don't know if he had dyslexia, but he was guessing at words. He wanted to read but he was also embarrassed. Students younger than he noticed his difficulties and said unkind things. I put a stop to the comments, and took him aside to find out his interests. He loved basketball, and he really loved Michael Jordan! I found a 'coffee table' style book about Michael Jordan with huge photographs of his antics on one page and a quote from Jordan on the opposite page. He loved that book, and he tried to read each quote! We'd work in that book for twenty minutes and then go play on the basketball court for half an hour.

My granddaughter is in the first grade, right now. She got some question cards from Chik-Fila, today, and used them to "interview me" from the back seat on the way home from school. She made a few mistakes, but she kept reading questions from the cards, questions like "What is your favorite TV show and why?" "What city would you like to visit?" "What do you like to do at home?" "What is your favorite party (she meant part) of the day?"

I quizzed her, too, so we had a lot of laughs!

Last edited by KatrynG; 09-05-2017 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: added another comment
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

YouTube video help
Old 09-20-2017, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Does he need glasses? Have you asked him what he sees when he looks at the words? Does he recognize the 26 letters of the alphabet?

Teach him how to practice reading using 'helps.' Use a ruler or piece of paper to underline one sentence of text, and show him how to use his finger to start from the left and move to the right of the sentence, up and down a page. He is rushing and needs to slow down and think about the process of reading. I love to do shared reading with students, too; I read a line and they read a line... or I read a passage and they read a recurring line whenever it shows up... like in the picture book: Click Clack Moo or Bear Snores On.

YouTube has videos about the sounding out letters and vowels in 'short' and 'long' sounds. Jack Hartmann is terrific and the kids have fun learning while watching his videos, and there are many others!

https://youtu.be/WtbL3byFa18 Have fun teaching. What do the letters say?(What does the fox say parody).

Kindergarten and First Grade teachers have various video songs that the students danced and wiggled to as they learn their letters. Also remember to teach blending: 2 and 3 common combinations; and use a word wall for similar sounds/sight words .

https://youtu.be/BbS7KfgZ30s First Steps Reading.. blending 3 letters with the short 'a' sound. I also believe in teaching the short vowel sounds first!
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote